Science Forums

Scientific Study: Music Makes You Smart

maikeru

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Mathematics as a system of symbols is a formalisation of language, in other words, those who cant follow what people're talking about can check whether or not it's nonsense by reviewing the maths. The equating of music with maths implies a mode communicated by the medium of music, I'll go for that, what's the mode by which music is communicated?

Mathematics as a system of symbols is a formalisation of language, in other words, those who cant follow what people're talking about can check whether or not it's nonsense by reviewing the maths. The equating of music with maths implies a mode communicated by the medium of music, I'll go for that, what's the mode by which music is communicated?

Scales

• 5 months later...
LiveScience.com - Playing Music Makes You Smart

There's increasing scientific evidence that playing music can alter how your brain works and make you smarter. :hihi:

lessee here...

learning to convert dots and squigles into letters and squiggles into movements of fingers and or breath, making sounds at a specific pace and of a specific length that represtent the sounds made by the person that drew the dots and squiggles to begin with.

Then frequently doing this over and over again until mastery is achieved thus exercising the mind in countless manners yielding further understanding and the increased desire to learn more as the old becomes mundane resulting in further challenging and exercising of the mind yielding the better ability to grasp more abstract lines of thought and the desire to persue and learn more......etc.etc......

Makes sence to me!

lessee here...

learning to convert dots and squigles into letters and squiggles into movements of fingers and or breath, making sounds at a specific pace and of a specific length that represtent the sounds made by the person that drew the dots and squiggles to begin with.

Then frequently doing this over and over again until mastery is achieved thus exercising the mind in countless manners yielding further understanding and the increased desire to learn more as the old becomes mundane resulting in further challenging and exercising of the mind yielding the better ability to grasp more abstract lines of thought and the desire to persue and learn more......etc.etc......

Makes sence to me!

I think I see your sarcastic point, but music is much more than notation and monkey-see monkey-do, eh?

Any accomplished pianist can sit down and play a Beethoven piece, but what sets them apart is their interpretation (in this case rhythmically). I believe that is the outer showing of the intelligence and connection with music. Many musicians can hear this (intelligence), but few can perform in such an exacting way to replicate others intentions (performance).

In other words, one mustn't perform to gain the intellectual benefits of audio. Since we learn from sensory input, I would argue that a honing of any of the senses would accrue the same intellectual benefits.

If anyone has read emotional Intelligence then they would be familiar with the concept that things we find pleasing actually work better. The same concept would apply for music I believe for the very same reasons that apply to books, cars, ATMs, and computers; when a person is relaxed they are more prone to wide scope complex problem solving than when they are stressed. The act of listening to music--like listening to someone lecture--would consequentially have a positive impact on the formation of pathways in your neural network; thus, music would logically have the effect of improving one's problem solving capabilities both in the short term and long term due to the properties of associative memory and positive sensory feedback.

Also, Music is math with soul. Read about Pythagoras sometime and you'll get an introduction to chords, musical scale, tone, meter, and other music theory concepts.

Be well and do well in all things,

-KAC

I think I see your sarcastic point, but music is much more than notation and monkey-see monkey-do, eh?

Any accomplished pianist can sit down and play a Beethoven piece, but what sets them apart is their interpretation (in this case rhythmically). I believe that is the outer showing of the intelligence and connection with music. Many musicians can hear this (intelligence), but few can perform in such an exacting way to replicate others intentions (performance).

In other words, one mustn't perform to gain the intellectual benefits of audio. Since we learn from sensory input, I would argue that a honing of any of the senses would accrue the same intellectual benefits.

WHoooooooooooooooooa!!!!!! whoa there! Not sarcasm!!!!!!!!!!!! I was quite serious.

Learning to read sheet music and play an instrument is a difficult task and involves quite a bit of trying to understand abstract things like this dot = that sound and to get that sound I'm required to do this. By doing these conversions alot you train your brain to handle this and other abstract trains of thought! Thus making you smarter. I also believe that listening to music that nutures thought has a similar effect though to a lesser degree. Of course anything you do that requires that you actually use your brain will make you smarter.

Incidently "any accomplished pianist"...How did they get to be accomplished?

Through the vicious cycle process I mentioned above perhaps?

Odds are they learned the "right way" to play before they adopted their own particular interpretation of it, and they must have learned how to play their instrument first as well as learned to decipher sheet music.

WHoooooooooooooooooa!!!!!! whoa there! Not sarcasm!!!!!!!!!!!! I was quite serious.

Learning to read sheet music and play an instrument is a difficult task and involves quite a bit of trying to understand abstract things like this dot = that sound and to get that sound I'm required to do this. By doing these conversions alot you train your brain to handle this and other abstract trains of thought! Thus making you smarter. I also believe that listening to music that nutures thought has a similar effect though to a lesser degree. Of course anything you do that requires that you actually use your brain will make you smarter.

The first time I read it, I read it in a serious manner and understood just as you elaborated it. The second and third time I read more deeply into it and thought you were, in a sly manner, making a sarcastic point. My bad. :hihi:

You are correct. Learning to read music exercises the mind, no doubt.

1st off Freez hope you didn't think I was ticked at you...If you did I'm sorry.

Secondly a terrible horrible secret....

I with over 25 years of playing numerous instruments have never been able to decipher sheet music without the help of a cheat sheet I made for the perpous....and then I use another sheet to convert the letters to sound....

Ex. -o- = E on the first chart. E= 1-3 on the second chart (first string third note)

So needless to say I have a lot of respect for those that are able to read it "on the fly" without additional help.

1st off Freez hope you didn't think I was ticked at you...If you did I'm sorry.

Not at all, it's all good. :hihi:

Secondly a terrible horrible secret....

I with over 25 years of playing numerous instruments have never been able to decipher sheet music without the help of a cheat sheet I made for the perpous....and then I use another sheet to convert the letters to sound....

Ex. -o- = E on the first chart. E= 1-3 on the second chart (first string third note)

So needless to say I have a lot of respect for those that are able to read it "on the fly" without additional help.

I learned bass clef when I played trombone (about 15 years ago). I never learned treble clef and I cannot read either now. :)

I like tablature when I need to learn guitar riffs, but it's just not the same...

Music moves you (motion and e-motion) - this is why it improves intelligence. Learning is about discovering the new and you can't do that unless you move your position: Ignorance is defending the old, not opening up to the novel, the different, the strange.

I've written the first of a series of books that goes back to phonetic teaching of language (http://lulu.com/uk/buy, under Education and Language section, "Logic Lists English" by Tony Sandy (My real name or you might not find the review samples)). The first volume is rhyming words mostly and this is like music because it is structured, orderly and progressive, plus set out in columns (You need to see it to understand its simplicity - like music too, it needs to be absorbed through repetition - exercises or rote learning). The trouble with most methods nowadays is that it's all chaos and totally unscientific (even some of the phonic systems) because idealism destroys realism (The need to work, to absorb - things only work if you do). Music is mathmatical and I hope you find my material interesting from that point of view and I hope this post hasn't got too far off the subject but adds to it from a new angle, which is what I want.