Science Forums

Dead blue screen

Aki

Okay, what brand is your PC, what version of Windows are you using (and which Service Packs are installed), what is your graphics card...

...and take a pen and pencil and write down the stop error which is somewhere on the page - usually in the form of a lot of numbers, like 00x00000089 at 01233232 or something.

Random BSOD on exit sounds like a driver problem. I had the same a while back and never really solved it until I replaced my graphics card so it can be a hardware problem. Or it could be a problem with conflicting drivers etc.

Well I'm not sure what graphic card I'm using... how can I know? And I'm on Win98, and I will write down the error number the next time the blue screen appears. As to what brand is my PC, I'm not sure either, because it's assembled with different parts, and it's not HP, Dell and so on...

There's a couple of tools you can use to check your system out. Everest home www.lavalys.com and sisfot sandra lite www.sisoftware.net are the most thourough that i know of i would say. But there's also fresh diagnose that's freeware if you want to try it out -> www.freshdevices.com

The best place i reckon for windows errors is microsoft's knowledgebase itself. Go to microsoft.com, look for the knowledge base (MSKB), type in the error message that you see and hopefully it will come up with some options of what it could be.