Science Forums

Hypo Jazz Ensemble

TheBigDog

Cool room sound, I can work with this.

Really sloppy jam, has character.

You nailed it with "really sloppy jam". :confused:

I was lucky to be able to record that tonight. My roomy's mom is staying on the couch which is right next to my studio room. :(

So as long as it is workable, I won't feel guilty about the shodiness...;)

Otherwise, it can be better...given time...

:doh: :) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

...but, but, but, but, but... okay, if you say so. :doh:

Here's why:

The progression is C7-Bb7*-C7-C7*-Bb7*-C7-B7

At first glance, it looks as if it is just a series of key shifts from C to Bb and back, but the tonal center stays at C. The chords with asterisks following them are inversions. In other words, all the notes in the Bb7 inversion are the notes in a Bb7 chord, but with F as the root note rather than Bb.

I just spoke with my roommate about it and he said that the progression does not function like blues. In fact, he said this is not a blues progression at all (which I still don't understand as I wrote it with a blues progression in mind)!

He emphasized that the tonal center was at C. He also made note that he was playing the root at C and Bb the whole time so my notion of inverted chords does not apply with what the bass is playing. For it to include a key shift, he said, the song would have to move to a different tonal center. In other words, in this example if I started on a D and followed this progression:

D7-C7-D7-D7-C7-D7-Db7

...then I would have effectively key shifted a whole step up. :)

Anyone got a jam recorded yet? Orb? :eek:

:eek: :eek: :shrug: :eek: :eek:

Whistling is one of the hardest sources to record because of wind noise. I recommend getting a cheap omni condenser mic like this:

RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Microphones & accessories: Omni-Directional Microphone

You will not find anything better unless you spend upwards of $80. You will need a foam windscreen or you can make one (if you don't have foam, then you can get by with pantyhose).

If you have any trouble, then post it here or pm me. ;)

Whistling is one of the hardest sources to record because of wind noise. I recommend getting a cheap omni condenser mic... You will need a foam windscreen or you can make one (if you don't have foam, then you can get by with pantyhose).... :)

Thanks!! :)

I now have the mic! Got it at Best Buy for $15, and it appears to be of the condensor type. Tonight I will plug it in and do my first test.

Okie-dokie!

I have the mic actually plugged in and interfaced with my free recording/editting application. And it works!!! B)

It works very well. There is no popping breathing sounds, as I can place the mic a foot away from my lips and aim it over my shoulder as I face slightly to one side of the mic. Sound quality is excellent.

Maybe tonight I can post my track of the "Boogie in C".

I'm at work now, thinking of recording my whistling tonight. Another thing --> the SW I'm using (WavePad) shows the squiggly line equivalents for the sounds it records. Very pretty. So I practiced playing the same staccato note over and over again. Each squiggly "blip" was different from all the others. Interesting. I would have thought they would be more similar. Very entertaining. Fun is afoot.

I wish I had more time this evening, but I gots to do bill paying and other drudge chores. Here is my very first :turtle: recording of myself. It's just a riff, less than half a minute long...

... dang!!! .wav files are invalid. change format...

... aw right!!! .mp3 works.

Here goes :cup: And it plays back!