Science Forums

Hypo Jazz Ensemble

TheBigDog

I am not a musician. That is not going to stop me from making a suggestion for this new forum, so here it goes. I would like to see a Jazz Ensemble here at Hypography. It would work like this...

Someone makes a musical track on a single instrument and posts it here. Someone else then takes that track and adds another layer to it on the instrument of their choice, and so on. No sheet music, but there could be conversation about where soloists on different instruments would fit into the score. What you get is improvisational jazz - internet style.

Any takers? I am curious to see how it could work out. I will start the fan club.

Bill

this is such a good idea.

I am in.

Someone should start with a beat or a riff, and then pass it on.

The next person can choose to do anything to the bars ahead.

change tempo. Add instrument. remove instrument, or beat.

We should all learn a basic melody and improvise off of it in our very own way.

I gotta say that when the track gets to me I'm gonna really tweak it :]

So whatcha guys wanna do?

Tormod, I suggest you get your butt in here so we can discuss what key to jive in and what chords to jive over.

Calling All Hypography Music Producers (Anyone with anything. Garageband, Reason, Pro tools . .)

Who's in?

If everyone who's IN is a guitar player, than I definately vote Blues.

Although, if members of the band don't play guitar, then we have a dilema, 'cause how are they going to make blues?

Unless someone's good with an organ, and has some hella raspy vocals.

Hmph.

Seriously. I know there's more than just me. Tormod makes music. Skuzie does. Who else does? Who else wants to jam?

So should we do blues?

Meh, I have an idea.

I will start off and do some bars with my guitar and my magic.

I'll leave two more bars at the end of it with just a drum track, so that the next person can come in and either:

Loop the drum track so they can add on to it, or

Completely erase the drum track and make their own transition into something different.

Sound good?

I am in the middle of laptop hell, so, whenever I resolve this emmense frustration I will get to work.

Once everything's set up, I could sit here and compose it all in just a few hours.

If ANYONE has ANY ideas, let's keep it flowing.

Just post your ideas and we will all incorporate ourselves into one Song.

This is an experiment with creativity, audible frequencies, the internet, and so many other things.

Excited,

So should we do blues?

Meh, I have an idea.

I will start off and do some bars with my guitar and my magic.

I'll leave two more bars at the end of it with just a drum track, so that the next person can come in and either:

Loop the drum track so they can add on to it, or

Completely erase the drum track and make their own transition into something different.

Sound good?

I am in the middle of laptop hell, so, whenever I resolve this emmense frustration I will get to work.

Once everything's set up, I could sit here and compose it all in just a few hours.

If ANYONE has ANY ideas, let's keep it flowing.

Just post your ideas and we will all incorporate ourselves into one Song.

This is an experiment with creativity, audible frequencies, the internet, and so many other things.

Excited,

To start it off I'm probably going to keep it simple.

I know not everyone knows the blues, so just do whatever you want.

Just make sure the transition is clean, and the rhythm doesn't stop.

I'll post the BPM so the next person can sync up.

Don't be afraid to change the tempo, we're going to need some spaces where we slow down, and speed up.

I'm in! I just got back from a 5 day camping trip, so I missed this thread obviously.

I'll echo Tormod and say that I'm a bit busy right this moment, so I can't start anything, but it will be easy enough to work of a base.

I play guitar mainly, but I also play percussion and keyboard (a little). I have TONS of softsynths and virtual instruments, not to mention TONS of loops and even my own Brazilian percussion kit I made. I use Tracktion 2 and Magix Music Studio.

I like the blues idea. I would suggest that everyone post the tracks individually to allow for more flexibility.