Science Forums

Anime

jungjedi

i saw a few here that were into anime.im a big fan and cant get enough of the stuff.in fact,i believe it to be a serious art form.whats your list of anime

heres mine

1-cowboy bebop

2-samarai champloo

3-flcl

4-ninja scroll

5-serial experiment lain

im also a big fan of the soundracts to anime

whats your list of anime

heres mine

1-cowboy bebop

2-samarai champloo

3-flcl

4-ninja scroll

5-serial experiment lain

You have good taste in anime! :confused:

My list is the same 5 (lain first), plus several seasons and movies of InuYasha. Yeah, I know, InuYasha is a borderline pedophile supernatural soap opera, but the level of detail, draftsmanship, and coloring is simply superb. I noticed the other day a frame with the knurling on the valve on a bicycle wheel, realistically colored and shaded – simply mind-blowing attention to detail.

ive noticed on other boards when the topic of anime comes up women always put inuyasha first specifically because it is a soap opera and it reminds them of adolecence.bleach kind of reminds me of it but your right,its difficult to come up with one that is rendered so well.like maybe metropolis,or samurai 7,or even karas.but,none of these were half as prolific as inuyasha

ive noticed on other boards when the topic of anime comes up women always put inuyasha first …
InuYasha does seem unusually popular with women. My wife, who likes very little anime, is an outright fan – she even has an InuYasha calendar and plush toy.

InuYasha does seem unusually popular with women. My wife, who likes very little anime, is an outright fan – she even has an InuYasha calendar and plush toy.

really,did she buy it or did you buy it.i had a freind that was a big outlaw star fan,until he got in a relationship.now he isnt allowed to watch anime

really,did she buy it or did you buy it.
The plush toy was a holiday gift from me, the calendar from a friend
i had a freind that was a big outlaw star fan,until he got in a relationship.now he isnt allowed to watch anime
Serving to show that one must chose one’s relationships carefully! :shrug:

You have good taste in anime! :shrug:

My list is the same 5 (lain first), plus several seasons and movies of InuYasha. Yeah, I know, InuYasha is a borderline pedophile supernatural soap opera, but the level of detail, draftsmanship, and coloring is simply superb. I noticed the other day a frame with the knurling on the valve on a bicycle wheel, realistically colored and shaded – simply mind-blowing attention to detail.

I would've never expected you, Craig, to be an anime fan. :confused:

Er, getting back to the topic, the anime I've liked most include...

Lain

Ghost in the Shell (first, not second)

Most of Miyazaki Hayao's films (which I think most people, regardless of age or tastes should see, because they excel in quality stories, animation, and imagination)

Jin-Roh (plot heavy, realistic animation, interesting mix of SF and fairy tale story gone wrong)

Black Lagoon (saw this last fall, be warned it is violent and not kid friendly)

Cowboy Bebop

• 4 months later...
Hi Craig, you wrote this on the forum:
You have good taste in anime!

would you mind telling me why did you refer to this cartoon as a "borderline pedophile supernatural soap opera"...
The reference, though intended to be tongue-in-cheek humorous, refers to the following common characteristics of anime:
  • ”borderline pedophile” – many of the characters in Inuyasha (particularly Kagome, who is usually described as 15 years old) are of an age where sexual interest in them might be considered criminal pedophilia under the laws of many US states and nations.
  • ”supernatural” – the series contains may supernatural elements. The title character is a half-demon with a magical sword and robe, and nearly every scene depicts some supernatural event.
  • ”soap opera” – the series is episodic, and concerned with the emotional interplay of its characters in a manner similar to non-animated TV soap operas (eg: “Days of Our Lives”, “General Hospital”)

People such as myself who enjoy anime tend to be mildly disturbed at their appreciation of the sexual attractiveness of the young characters, many of whom are younger and less physically mature even than Kagome (who, many have commented, seems somewhat more mature than is realistic for a typical 15 year old). Although not overt, anime such as InuYasha, which is target on a teen-age audience, contains themes of romantic and erotic love not as often found in American cartoons target at the same age group, and can be somewhat culturally jarring for inexperienced American viewers.

I'm not familiar with this cartoons, but I need to understand the mind of someone that really likes them very much, for medical reasons.
Though I can’t well imagine how your question could involve a medical issues, it touches on a large, much studied subject, documented well in various online and print sources (eg: references for the wikipedia article ”Anime”).

Rather than repeat the many analyses from this literature, I’ll speak to my personal reasons for enjoying anime. Basically, they’re two-fold:

• Art – Good quality anime (and its print cousin, manga) contains a lot of good-quality, illustrative art. Mangaka are typically well trained, serious artists. Many, myself included, consider their output to be serious art.
  • Story – Successful anime and manga series typically have strong plots, characters, connection to mythological and contemporary themes, etc. – in short, they have the same elements as successful print fiction. Since they are released in episodes, these strong stories server to keep their audiences returning to watch them on TV and purchase them in DVD and print. Good storytelling art and commercial success are not strangers.

Not all anime is good quality, but the amount of it that is amazes me.

Anime and manga enthusiast are often viewed by people unfamiliar with the media, particularly in the US, as members of a strange subculture, and impression reinforced by their conversational used of many Japanese words, including self-labeling words like otaku, which translates roughly to “obsessed, creepy fanboy”. Although there’s some truth to this impression, the ranks of anime and manga enthusiasts include people of many nationalities, ages and professions, many of whom few would suspect of being so

To understand anime/manga culture thoroughly requires a good understanding of several centuries of Japanese and other history, mythology, and culture, but to enjoy the media, one need only watch or read them with an open, unassuming mind. The recommendations made in this thread are all good places to start. Also, the internet being what it is, you’ll find excellent (and arguably obsessive) analysis of practically any well-known anime or manga there, such as the wikipedia article ”InuYasha” Watching and reading, and availing yourself of internet sources (which contain voluminous, free servings of both amateur and professional manga art), is IMHO the best and surest approach to understanding people who enjoy these media.

speaking of supernatural anime, I just managed to see a few episodes of Claymore. It's not licenced in the us as of yet, so you won't be seeing it on the cartoon network any time soon. Real gory theme handeled with an effective on and off camera presence. Starts to get "DBZ" around ep 8 though...

Anime and manga enthusiast are often viewed by people unfamiliar with the media, particularly in the US, as members of a strange subculture, and impression reinforced by their conversational used of many Japanese words, including self-labeling words like otaku, which translates roughly to “obsessed, creepy fanboy”.

I always think of the word in terms of "honourable house/head of the house" before "obsessed, creepy fanboy." The Japanese laugh at us, surely. But I have run into self-proclaimed otaku more often than I like. When browsing at bookstores in the fiction or SF and fantasy sections, often dangerously close to the manga sections, people sometimes bother me because my looks.

"Oh, you must come from Japan or China and watch anime all the time!"

"No, actually I was born here, but I do occasionally watch it."

"Have you watched X?"

"What?"

"You know, - that really cool series which has - and - and -..."

:hyper: :hihi:

To understand anime/manga culture thoroughly requires a good understanding of several centuries of Japanese and other history, mythology, and culture, but to enjoy the media, one need only watch or read them with an open, unassuming mind. The recommendations made in this thread are all good places to start. Also, the internet being what it is, you’ll find excellent (and arguably obsessive) analysis of practically any well-known anime or manga there, such as the wikipedia article ”InuYasha” Watching and reading, and availing yourself of internet sources (which contain voluminous, free servings of both amateur and professional manga art), is IMHO the best and surest approach to understanding people who enjoy these media.

Many Japanese manga and anime, both past and present, have drawn on Chinese and Korean mythological and historical sources as well. The inspiration for Dragonball, which was one of my favorite manga and anime as I was growing up, is the Journey to the West, known as Xiyou Ji. Journey to the West The main character has an uncanny resemblance to Sun Wukong. :) Ever-popular Japanese stories often come from or are inspired by The Tale of the Heike Tale of the Heike.

I really like East Asian literature and mythology, and perhaps it's no surprise that my current favorite anime is Seirei no Moribito: Seirei no Moribito Strong storytelling, strong characters, beautiful and careful animation, and a very strong East Asian feel to it. It makes me homesick for places I've visited all too briefly.