Science Forums

Bluetooth technology

rontol

Hi rontol, welcome to Hypography!

I have not used bluetooth much but I think it's a promising technology. What I used it for was to surf the net with a laptop and a GSM mobile phone while on holiday this summer. It worked flawlessly for me so I only have good experiences with it.

Basically it is just a short range wireless communication system for interaction between devices, so that computers and peripherals, for example, can communicate using standard protocols without the need for wires.

Basically it is just a short range wireless communication system for interaction between devices, so that computers and peripherals, for example, can communicate using standard protocols without the need for wires.

anyone heard of Bluetooth sniping? They use a modified sniper rifle to 'shoot' Bluetooth signals up to a mile away.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you mean you used your mobile phone as a modem ?? wow ..i never do that :)

but i dreaming to use it ..heh

Yes, like a modem. And a slow modem, I have to say. I think I achieved the mindgobbling speed of 9,600 baud... :)

But it was fast enough to let me check my e-mail while on vacation and slow enough to make me not bother to surf the web so it was actually a good thing. :)

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Í am developing a project with Bluettoth, and I want to transfer data rates near 721kbps. I have a full-embbeded software module with SPP profile.

SPP profile especify only one-slot data paquets, and data rates up to 128kbps. Why only 128kbps?

How can I do to transfer a higher data rates?

Thanks

How can I do to transfer a higher data rates?

not use bluetooth :)

but the Bluetooth EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) will be significantly faster than Bluetooth 1.2. It will offer data transfer speeds up to 2.1 Mbps, which is about three times faster than the 721 kbps Bluetooth now offers. This means that a 1 MB file that takes 12 seconds to download with the current version will take only 4 seconds to download over Bluetooth EDR.

and as to why you have such a low transfer speed: bluetooth drivers still only treat it like a serial port, thus not allowing speeds more than 128kbps...

i don't remember if anyone here responded to my idea of wifi telepathy for humans.

bluetooth would be one of the best methods for close proximity [telepathy]. train the brain to standardize thoughts [words sounds emotions pictures] and communicate them thru the air via a bluetooth link.

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/03/22/human.cyborg/

with perhaps a gigabit bluetooth link and repeaters if not a full link to the net the current technology of simple impulses could be as visceral as visions of what VR had to offer (promised and never delivered) during the 80s and 90s.

i'm very intrigued by the consept because all thats missing for real telepathy is a solid factual communication system, this [bluetooth] is the next best thing to delta brainwaves that can't really travel very far from the brain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4074869.stm

I find myself wondering if, even if there was an implementation of telepathy as you suggest, the human brain would be able to withstand such an assault of information at that rate. At the moment, my mind can only keep track of so many different things at one time; would the telepathy you mention result in a confusing situation similar to listening to 30 people talking at high speed? Would there be a 'filtering' technology that would help a person focus on one particular data stream (like looking directly at one of those 30 people talking and ignoring the rest)?

the mind is already assailed by torrents of information the biggest influx being from the eyes, the brains filters our vision immensly, my novel was tentatively going to be called IO for information overload, amoung other acronym derivatives. my first thoughts were of such telepathy born of wifi implants, which i later figured the body would overtime absorb and perhaps evolve to produce the augmentaion naturally.. but beyond that is like you said training the brain to percieve more and filter less, our minds it is said can be trained to process much more data than we do passively in our day to day. it just takes more power and procedural brain power [cerebellum] and memory to cope with it all.

besides in terms of telepathy you'll initially only be dealing with tiny bandwidths dedicated to words, later emotions and then visual data. by then society will have changed so much that getting into someone elses head literally won't upset so many people as it would now. people love their privacy, telepathy would i think remove a need for some of that basic need [for privacy].

would the telepathy you mention result in a confusing situation similar to listening to 30 people talking at high speed?

no, i doubt anyone would be able to track 30 streams dynamically, not for a long time at least, if on the other hand your implant could distinguish those 30 streams and record the you'll 'remember' each stream later. but then that would involve memory upgrades. samsung wetware :( .. or you memory could be uploaded like a backup to you home network, central database. thus if you need to recall something your conscious mind didn't have time to register you would have the option later to delve back into the perfect memory and extract what it was you needed.

just the thought of perfect recall and perfect communication [mind-mind]... i doubt society could cope with anything like that.. would such candor and perfection spontaneously create utopia? or would corporations simply hack your brain while you slept? perfect marketing tool. .

just the thought of perfect recall and perfect communication [mind-mind]... i doubt society could cope with anything like that.. would such candor and perfection spontaneously create utopia? or would corporations simply hack your brain while you slept? perfect marketing tool. .

I'm thinking that kind of candor would result in even more dire effects of the question "Does this make me look fat?"

The idea of all the information in your mind being available to me, with the only protection being distance and your mind (not a slam, just thinking that someone who can wirelessly beat on your implant with an external computer is at a distinct advantage) sounds like it would be of interest to more than the marketing department... reference the WIFI sniping at the beginning of this thread.