Science Forums

What are you listening to right now?

Boerseun

Wow industrial-pop ! :-) I like the harder parts ;-)
From the Black lagoon link, I don't really get what type of anime it is? SF, Crime,War, Social Critique,...??
Anyway, found my fav for the easter-festival (see my previous post, inferno actually means hell, but well all this stuff comes with this music) it is folk-metal:
Månegarm

Wow industrial-pop ! :-) I like the harder parts ;-)

Yeah, Red Fraction has a pretty much metal verse alternating with a sorta sweet pop refrain that most folk don’t seem to like as much. Even the artists seem to agree, as they did an more electronica “IO drive” remix of it with the 1st refrain chopped off after 2 words.

From the Black lagoon link, I don't really get what type of anime it is? SF, Crime,War, Social Critique,...??

No SF elements – it’s set in 2006 Thailand, and fixates much, as some Japanese animations do, on realistic renderings of real world vehicles, firearms, etc. Mostly about crime (the main characters are, after all, mercenary pirates), with slanted social critique (the characters talk a lot of it). Some War references, as many of the characters are ex-military, but the antithesis of patriotic nationalistic war rhetoric.

I liked it when I could focus on its realistic elements, but had a hard time swallowing its cliché superhuman videogame-like gun violence, eg: cute girls in frilly dresses who could dodge concentrated machinegun fire, and clumsy moralizing.

:thumbs_do Can’t recommend it, other than for dedicated fans of the genre, or people who just like seeing animate pretty psychopathic girls shoot at each other.

Anyway, found my fav for the easter-festival (see my previous post, inferno actually means hell, but well all this stuff comes with this music) it is folk-metal:

Månegarm

I’ve a sweet spot for traditional metal – my late son played a lot of bass in metal bands – but was thwarted in really embracing it by my lack of a decent metal voice. My teenage motivation for picking up the guitar was to free my mouth for singing, so I gravitate toward stuff I can play and sing decently.

Gotta say, though, for all its sounding angry, a lot of metal doesn’t much feel angry enough to me. The angriest song I know is “The Hostage” a folk song by Tom Paxton about the 1971 Attica Prison riot. Metal is so often just metaphorical, while hard-core folk is about terribly harsh actual events.

CraigD, I agree that most of metal is metaphorical, not really angry enough- it is about power of the sound most often. This is why Sepultura is one of my favorite bands, they actually sing about stuff happening with a lot of critic and pissed off-ness. Check the lyrics of my fav album here http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/sepultura/chaosad.html

And note that number 5 has no lyrics and is a very soft song, but its reason of existence is hardcore:
[This song is inspired by a Brasilian Indian tribe called "Kaiowas", who live]
[in the rain forest. They committed mass suicide as a protest against the]
[government, who was trying to take away their land and beliefs.]

One of the most angry songs I know is german Punk (Der Pazifist from Kapitualtion Bonn):

German lyrics are here: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/k/kapitulation_bonn/der_pazifist.html

• 3 weeks later...

Found a cool working music,soft for once but hardcore if you listen to all of it, 10h of the epic part of carmina burana:

Gahh! Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this just the middle part of the 1st movement of Orff’s Carmina Burana, O Fortuna, repeated about 1000 times?

My above display of wiki-fu shouldn’t be taken as indication that I know crap about classical music – my classical music education, which was just an instrumentalist’s, pretty much ended when I dropped out of orchestra at the age to 15. My knowledge is so bad, truth told, that until read your post, sanctus, and exercised a bit of above said youtube/wiki/google-fu, I believed that O Fortuna, which I didn’t know by name, was an piece put together ca 1980 by some world wave/glossolalia band (by which I mean folk like Gerard and Perry from Dead Can Dance) for the move Excalubur. It’s not – it’s a 1935 arrangement of a 13th Century Latin poem, a really intense, grim one, though if, like me, you can’t much understand Latin, that’s hard to pick up on in the song.

Back in my pre-digital music youth, having figured out how to make 1/4" tape loops, I listened to a loop of the first 60 seconds of Tull’s Cross Eyed Mary, waking and asleep, for about 12 hours. Maybe the 10 hour O Fortuna loop is meant for something similar?

CraigD, I only knew that Carmina Burana is really old, a part from that my classical music knowledge is also very limited. And Yes it is just a 1k-repeat of a part of it, namely the epic-part (or in my view the coolest part :-) ).

Otherwise I am back into my teenage-years too, listening to Paolino Paperino Band (which would be Donald Duck Band in Italian), musically not amazing but the lyrics (in Italian obviously) are amazing, I would describe them as very vulgar social critique poetry.
For example, this one is about living in the ghetto/having criminal family makes you think that to survive you have to steal, even if you would be a good guy and feel bad about it and would have preferred going to school. Then it goes on to conclude that he might be bad, but the rich ones who smile on TV and then f*** us all are much worse.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tallis's Spem in Alium, which the choral society I belong to has just performed. (I was one of two baritones in choir 5.)

We did not sing it as clearly as these people of course, but it was quite an experience. There are 8, 5-part choirs (SATBB) distributed around the church and the sound moves from one to the next, back and forth, in various combinations. There are thus 40 separate lines of music. Keeping it all together is very challenging, as it is polyphonic and contains a lot of off-the-beat stuff and trying to keep track of the music to find one's entries is not simple.