Science Forums

What are you listening to right now?

Boerseun

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Im seldom aware of what im listening to, unless sitting in the band doing a gig...

At school i didnt do homework and achordingly i never show up at rehearsals.

So actually all im listening to at the moment is whats going on inside my head:

John Hardy!

An american ...eh... folksong?

Actually i dont hear what i heard the first and only time i heard it,

(by all means check it out,it should be in the net somewhere... talking about that:

If u do then please post it in the thread music and maths ...thanx.).

What drew my attention was basically two things

1 "some rob you with a shotgun, some other with a fountain pen"

2 The funny melody, pointing out the difference in the American concept of Tonality and the European: 4/4 CcefeGdbg+g ...big letters for chords, small for tones.

I just finished my arrangment/interpretation and now it still echoes in my head

The only way for me to kill it is to start a new arrangement/composition. :phones:

With pleasure: Sigurd Vojnov.

John Hardy!

An american ...eh... folksong?

… Mountain music, I’d call it. More generically, it’d might be classed as bluegrass, though that’s a reflection of a style in which it could be performed, not the actual origin or composition of the song or its lyrics. Practically any song can be played in a bluegrass style.

Bluegrass bands, as a rule, have at least 3 of the following: guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle (violin), bass (guitar or violin, if violin, not bowed), and never drums of any sort.

2 The funny melody, pointing out the difference in the American concept of Tonality and the European: 4/4 CcefeGdbg+g ...big letters for chords, small for tones.

C, G, and D are known in American folk music as “the people’s chords”. Some folk musicians would go as far as to say that any song requiring more than these three chords isn’t really folk music, the point being that folk music should be accessible, that is, playable, by practically anyone, not just practiced musicians.

Opinions vary, but I’d say Woody Guthrie’s “This Land Is Your Land” (“this land is C your land / this land is G my land / from California D / to the New Your G island” …) is the quintessential American folk song.

Your mention of differences in American and European musical ideas interests me, Sigurd. What, would you say, is a quintessential Swedish, or European, folk song :QuestionM

What I've been listening to of late: watching some episodes of the 2007-2008 animated comedy Code Monkeys, googling the lyrics of its brief theme song, “Code Monkey”, I grew interested in the music of Jonathan Coulton, listening to pretty much all of it at his website, where it’s all available streaming for free. It’s eclectic, sometimes complicated and sophisticated, and almost always weird and geekish. Though I like, and am fairly hooked on it, find it fun, and technically accomplished, Coulton’s singing strikes me as somehow shallow and soulless, in a sort of over-trained way, an unusual reaction from me, as more than merely tolerating it, I actually like over-produced, glittery pop music.

:heart:

1 … Mountain music, I’d call it. More generically, it’d might be classed as bluegrass, though that’s a reflection of a style in which it could be performed, not the actual origin or composition of the song or its lyrics. Practically any song can be played in a bluegrass style.

3 Bluegrass bands, as a rule, have at least 3 of the following: guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle (violin), bass (guitar or violin, if violin, not bowed), and never drums of any sort.

C, G, and D are known in American folk music as “the people’s chords”. Some folk musicians would go as far as to say that any song requiring more than these three chords isn’t really folk music, the point being that folk music should be accessible, that is, playable, by practically anyone, not just practiced musicians.

2 Opinions vary, but I’d say Woody Guthrie’s “This Land Is Your Land” (“this land is C your land / this land is G my land / from California D / to the New Your G island” …) is the quintessential American folk song.

4 Your mention of differences in American and European musical ideas interests me, Sigurd. 5 What, would you say, is a quintessential Swedish, or European, folk song :QuestionM

What I've been listening to of late: watching some episodes of the 2007-2008 animated comedy Code Monkeys, googling the lyrics of its brief theme song, “Code Monkey”, I grew interested in the music of Jonathan Coulton, listening to pretty much all of it at his website, where it’s all available streaming for free. It’s eclectic, sometimes complicated and sophisticated, and almost always weird and geekish. Though I like, and am fairly hooked on it, find it fun, and technically accomplished, Coulton’s singing strikes me as somehow shallow and soulless, in a sort of over-trained way, an unusual reaction from me, as more than merely tolerating it, I actually like over-produced, glittery pop music.

1 I decided to call it "mountain music"

2 gah!... you must be joking Mr Brainman!

3 No washboard!?

4 i esstimate ill first satisfy mself on what might be (natural)your intended meaning with "woof" (just kidding) and "Quintessence". Then... Well ,to make a story short ill return to the concepts, its indeed of some use...since i believe, yessir, BELIEVE etc the american concepts are mixed with or more ...eh...#black#...nah--- not quite...

"the american concept = the european concept plus influence from origin!!!!! "i point first to africa but next to the celts"

5 On first sight:thats easy(duh! ha ha) 151 is "E", 141 is "A" (First approximation: note that JH starts 41 dutifully including a quick visit to the dominant in the end)(Hmmm this folk conception is useful(keeping in mind that tunings may influence results) since c=1 perhaps 5 is working backstage: the primitive original key/guitar concept being GC and the "spin" or Acc-id-ent changed direction somewhere on the road (fantasy warning: we have sleeping electromagnetic sensors in our brains but when the earth changed poles etc etc ha ha)

Chorus: AAAAAAAAoooooooouw. repeat ad lib (some "G"lorious day it reversed)

...whoa!