Science Forums

8 steps to Goal Setting

HappytheStripper

Statement:

Many people set goals and then assume the path to reach the goal will require suffering and sacrifice – a recipe for failure..

Question:

So what is the mindset we use to create our goals whether they be short term or long term.. ??

I have listed 8 goals.. that currently create a one step forward 7 steps back mindset.. and ask.. Do you agree or disagree with the above statement.. ?? What are your thoughts in relation to goal setting from a psychological perspective.. ??

GOAL NUMBER TWO

To reach goal number one

GOAL NUMBER ONE

To complete number two

GOAL NUMBER THREE

Move forward to goal number four

GOAL NUMBER FOUR

To reach goal number three

GOAL NUMBER FIVE

To remember what goal number three was

GOAL NUMBER SIX

To reach goal number three

GOAL NUMBER SEVEN

Move forward to goal number four

GOAL NUMBER EIGHT

RESET GOALS

Statement:

Many people set goals and then assume the path to reach the goal will require suffering and sacrifice – a recipe for failure..

Question:

So what is the mindset we use to create our goals whether they be short term or long term.. ??

I don't agree with the first statement.

I've never been involved in a goal where a sacrifice of some sort wasn't necessary. Have you?

Realistic goal setting would plan for sacrifices and suffering. Using positive reinforcement, dedication, along with forethought helps one to put the sacrifices necessary into perspective.

I of course can only speak for myself. However, it has been my experience when I fail to plan for the pit falls, I tend to fail in general.

Realistic goal setting would plan for sacrifices and suffering. .............it has been my experience when I fail to plan for the pit falls, I tend to fail in general.

Pitfalls and sacrifice are two entirely different things.

A pitfall is an undesirable contingent situation which has a finite probability of arising and is typically beyond the control, or ceratinly the complete control of the individual. Planning for this involves having appropriate resources available and actions anticipated to allow one to deal with the situation effectively. Note that pitfalls may not arise during your move towards your goal.

Sacrifices are not contingent. They will arise during the move towards your goal. They are planned into the process. They are an integral part of it.

The two are different beasts and need to be treated differently.

Pitfalls and sacrifice are two entirely different things.

A pitfall is an undesirable contingent situation which has a finite probability of arising and is typically beyond the control, or ceratinly the complete control of the individual. Planning for this involves having appropriate resources available and actions anticipated to allow one to deal with the situation effectively. Note that pitfalls may not arise during your move towards your goal.

Sacrifices are not contingent. They will arise during the move towards your goal. They are planned into the process. They are an integral part of it.

The two are different beasts and need to be treated differently.

Fair enough.

I'll ask you the same question though, has there ever been a time where you have achieved a goal and not had to make any sacrifices at all.

I seriously considered the question I posed, because I cannot think of a single goal that I have accomplished that hasn't required a sacrifice.

Very interesting topic though, considering I'm in the middle of accomplishing another goal *grins*

Maybe I'll learn that I didn't have to make any sacrifices, and that all this suffering was for naught.

Setting goals and achieving them are two different things. People set goals constantly. Only a fraction of the goals set are ever achieved. Trouble "sacrificing" for the sake of the goal is just one reason for failure.

The method at the top of this thread doesn't seem to have any focus on success. It seems to just be an observation of futility of process. Here is my formula for goal success.

1. Face the direction of your goal
  2. Start walking

Realize that you cannot have your cake and eat it too. You may call this sacrifice, but it is reality. If you set your sights on something, yet you are unwilling to do the things needed to achieve it, then you need to pick a more realistic goal or learn to be satisfied with what you already have.

When you decide to set out for something new, is it a sacrifice of what you already have? Only if you are unwilling to make the change. Most of the business of achieving goals is internal, not external. Once your mind is set, the actions leading to success will follow.

Bill

I'll ask you the same question though, has there ever been a time where you have achieved a goal and not had to make any sacrifices at all.
Yes. Often. I think the difficulty may lie in the definition of goal. You appear to be using goal to describe a large scale, long term, resource intensive, strategic objective. To achieve such goals probably will require sacrifice since the shear volume of effort required to realise the goal will likley require foregoing some other desired end.

Short term, small scale, resource light tactical objectives - the sort of thing we put down on a daily 'to do list' - can often, even usually, be attained without effort.