Science Forums

Question about two-tail testing

jdatnat

I have to do a lab write up and one of the question asks whether there is a difference between the two groups of animal we've studied or not. I've did the necessary calculation until I found the P value (I think) for two tail testing which is .852

but what I don't undestand is what this value means.

Does it mean that there is a significant difference between these two groups? since the number is high. what does this number tell me? :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have to do a lab write up and one of the question asks whether there is a difference between the two groups of animal we've studied or not. I've did the necessary calculation until I found the P value (I think) for two tail testing which is .852

but what I don't undestand is what this value means.

Does it mean that there is a significant difference between these two groups? since the number is high. what does this number tell me? :shrug:

Though I can’t be certain from the info given, the usual meaning of a p value when comparing the average of 2 populations is that it gives the probability that one is correct in claiming a difference between the 2 populations. Whether a p value of .852 is high enough to support your claim depends on how critical it is that you are correct. If the test is to determine if it’s worth your effort to further study the populations, .852 is likely high enough. If it is a test to determine your personal safety, it’s almost certainly too low.

It’s important to be sure the p value represents the area between the 2 endpoints, not outside of it, (in which case the probability would be 1-.852 = .148). The term “p value” is frequently used to describe both areas.