Science Forums

Chemistry Highlights 2004

alexander

Hey, i was just reading news, and there was a link to chemistry.about.com, i thought interesting, so i clicked, anyways, i found this really interesting article called "Chemistry Highlights 2004" that pretty much outlines most major chemical breakthroughs this year. Here's the link: http://chemistry.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://pubs.acs.org/cen/

(Edit: Unfortunately they use hidden urls, so you need to click on chemistry highlights 2004 link on top...)

So what do you make of it, guys?

I noticed that about 75% of them were done at American Universities. and a majority of the universities were in California. Absolutely none came from Asia, nor Australasia, never mind Africa. I'm sure I didn't miss any. So what are the philosophical implications of that?

most of them are about bio-chemisry....well, biology and chemistry always stick together.

only one of these discovery seems familiar to me... the discoveries of elements 113 and 115.

anyway, i like the zinc-zinc bond and silicon-silicon triple bonds things... i wonder if people can actually make stuff like silicon verion of ethyne, that would be cool. :D

Absolutely none came from Asia, nor Australasia, never mind Africa. I'm sure I didn't miss any. So what are the philosophical implications of that?

I'm pretty sure a lot of the scientists who made the discoveries are from eastern countries, though.

But I also think that lists like that tend to be US-biased. I haven't given thought to the philosophical implications...I guess it's part of the way US media view the world.

1st of all... US has the wealth and power to support scientific developments.

2nd of all... many countries are not rich as US is, therefore fewer supports for these science stuffs. Also, most of the people dont even have a chance to develope their ideas or talents.

Lastly, since US has the money and rewards to the people who invent stuffs... many of these talented people come to American...

actually, it could be me accidentally skipping something, but i havent seen anything in there about the progress of MRAM and how researchers are combining silicon with some metals without damaging its crystalic structure, yet enabling it to have electromagnetic properties similar to Indium but without the damaging effects...

1st of all... US has the wealth and power to support scientific developments.

2nd of all... many countries are not rich as US is, therefore fewer supports for these science stuffs. Also, most of the people dont even have a chance to develope their ideas or talents.

Lastly, since US has the money and rewards to the people who invent stuffs... many of these talented people come to American...

ohhh so that's why you moved to the US

Thats probably the leading cause for most scientists who move to the US, Tinny.

Being smart is good, but whats the point of being smart if it doesnt provide you with food on your table?

Doing what you like is good, but getting paid for doing it is better, and getting paid very well for what you do is the best, unfortunately the way our society works is so much dependant on the money that it is the drive behind what lots of people do, and thats why i hate money...

• 1 month later...
Thats probably the leading cause for most scientists who move to the US, Tinny.

Being smart is good, but whats the point of being smart if it doesnt provide you with food on your table?

Doing what you like is good, but getting paid for doing it is better, and getting paid very well for what you do is the best, unfortunately the way our society works is so much dependant on the money that it is the drive behind what lots of people do, and thats why i hate money...

That is funny.... You are a hater haha...