Science Forums

Can a bone have a bullet shot out of it?

I don't get it:shrug: :D
Oh don't worry. It was on topic. Cedars is just encouraging you to proceed by saying that whether your contraption works or not, you're likely to become famous for doing it....

Turtle's probably right. Shotgun shell is probably the right diameter for a humerus bone.

You might want to review the warning that Adam and Jaime give at the beginning of every episode of Mythbusters though.

Quantumly ballistic,

Buffy

I'm righting a story but i'm to lazy to do reasearch i have to go soon so post now dont wait:) :D

Welcome to the site Masterqman. You post kind of indicates a misunderstanding. Hypography is a bulletin board site, not a chat site. As such you might make a post and it might not be responded to until the next time someone logs in that is interested in your topic or has an answer to your question. Seldom, if ever, can you sit around and wait for a response.

We do have a chat feature that you can use to have live interactive discussions with other members that are logged into the chat module.

P.S. This thread is now the result of two merged threads originally posted by the original poster in two separate forums on the same topic.

Just make sure you use a slow-burning powder! A fast powder is likely to shatter the bone before the bullet exits, losing pressure and failing as a barrel.

I suppose it would work. Why you'd want to do this, is beyond me, however. Are you writing a book about people stranded by a planecrash on a desert island, and they're using spare parts from the corpses of those unfortunate enough not to have survived the crash as weapons? Cool idea... but don't forget to describe the stench... that's if you want to make it realistic, though.

Oh don't worry. It was on topic. Cedars is just encouraging you to proceed by saying that whether your contraption works or not, you're likely to become famous for doing it....

Turtle's probably right. Shotgun shell is probably the right diameter for a humerus bone.

You might want to review the warning that Adam and Jaime give at the beginning of every episode of Mythbusters though.

Quantumly ballistic,

Buffy

That last part was funny:hyper:

The reason i am doing this is so it is realistic:hihi:

If your located in the USA I believe it would be a felony to use a human arm bone for this contraption. Something about desecration of a human body. You will also need to document you legally own the human arm bone.

I am not a gunsmith so I cant tell you for sure "yes this will work" or "no it wont". What I do know tells me this item, if you researched the process of creating your own gun in detail, would probably (at best) work once. The chances of the bullet shattering the barrel is very high in my humble opinion. Wear good safety glasses (and a good helmet, kelvar if you got it). Bone shards could potentially put out an eye and depending on the grains used maybe even puncture bone. Personally I doubt it would work at all. But then, when I fire my gun I dont feel a sense of accomplishment if the bullet rolls slowly down the barrel and drops out onto the sand at my feet.

With all the gun nuts in the USA, all the bone available from various wildlife, and the number of collectors with interests in this area, I think if this were possible it would have been done on a commerical level.

If your located in the USA I believe it would be a felony to use a human arm bone for this contraption. Something about desecration of a human body. You will also need to document you legally own the human arm bone.

I am not a gunsmith so I cant tell you for sure "yes this will work" or "no it wont". What I do know tells me this item, if you researched the process of creating your own gun in detail, would probably (at best) work once. The chances of the bullet shattering the barrel is very high in my humble opinion. Wear good safety glasses (and a good helmet, kelvar if you got it). Bone shards could potentially put out an eye and depending on the grains used maybe even puncture bone. Personally I doubt it would work at all. But then, when I fire my gun I dont feel a sense of accomplishment if the bullet rolls slowly down the barrel and drops out onto the sand at my feet.

With all the gun nuts in the USA, all the bone available from various wildlife, and the number of collectors with interests in this area, I think if this were possible it would have been done on a commerical level.

its for a story not a project

If it's his own arm bone, there should be NO Problem. What the heck Cedars, if he wants to drill the marrow out of his own arm, allow him the priviledge. Also, it would be a real Crowd pleaser if it back fired and blew his arm off at the elbow...................LOL

..................................Infy

its for a story not a project
In that case, tell us more about the story and why the character in this novel wishes to do such an unusual thing. Why a bone and not some more useful material such as steel? Give us a little hint as to the plot involved Master........., you've really got my curiosity goin now...........................Infy

well, ifyou implanted a metal barrel inside the bone it would have a chance...

What a good idea, GAHD. I'm still stuck before the bronze age in my thinking. :friday:

Take the bone, hollow it out, pour molten metal in and voila, increased strength and resistance to fracture.

Then again, if one were to go through the trouble of heating metal to a molten state, they'd be better off creating a mold that works, well... like a gun, and pouring into that. :hihi:

You know, I think I know where he's going with this story. Suppose a terrorist had a gun barrel inserted into one of his arm bones. He could use it in a clandestined way to assassinate a world figure like the president.

This could be done by boring out the bone and inserting a gun barrel into the humerus. Wouldn't have to melt any metal, just put the ready made barrel right in there.

Now there's the problem of his fingers getting in way.

What will they think of next?...............................Infy