Science Forums

Favorite Games

pgrmdave

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough one...Well, in an ideal world, where I actually have time to play games on my PC, this could have been the list:

-Doom

-Doom II

-Civilization III

-Half-Life (the original)

-Max Payne

-The Monkey Island series

-Quake II

-Nobody Lives Forever 2

-Deus Ex

-plus a bunch of long-forgotten classics...

Should have beens, too, but I never really found time for these:

-Battlefield 1942

-FarCry (Oooh...my PC hated me for buying that)

-Colin McRae 2 (3 was "okay")

Just bought:

-Half-life 2 (and am waiting for a used graphics card so I can even see something move on the screen...) ;)

...Xbox...separate thread... ;)

Nice, I found someone who likes BG!

My List:

-Baldurs Gate II: Throne of Bhall

-Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter

-Icewind Dale II

-Elasto Mania

-Sim City 2k

Even though most of my list consists of RPGs, I do play some of those good FPS games. Just not often enough to make my most played PC games.

Hopeful:

Half life 2, when I upgrade to a comp that can handle it.

I am still waiting for the second hand GeForce FX 5600 I bought. The rest of my computer is okay (overclocked to the max...) but the current card is an GeForce ti 4200. It,well, cried when I tried FarCry...:)

I used to be into Computer Games quite heavily. From DOS games to Duke Nukem 3D, Quake II....

But I decided they controlled me more than I controlled them. I spent way too much time playing them. So I decided I would only play games I could wak away from at a moments notice. Like winmine. I can close it at any point and not need to wait till I get to some particular point or keep going while in the zone! "Ya, I'm coming to bed soon, real soon!".

The ones I spend most time with (other than winmine)

Jellyfish - "JellyFish is a neural net based backgammon program that plays at a very high level." I use the basic freeware version and still lose more than win!

http://www.jelly.effect.no (Ya Tormod, Jellyfish AS, PO Box 477 Skoyen, N-0212 Oslo, Norway)

or

Sheepshead (3 handed) - So how do I explain Sheepshead? It is a cardgame play by those lacking a full deck! (Only 7's an up) Very popular in one town in the world My town! And one small burb to our north, but they often call it Ucker or something like that. Something like Hearts.

http://www.sheepshead.org/downloads/sheep.zip

And for the sheer ZEN of it I have an old ChineseCheckers game I play. Had it so long I ahve no idea where to find it anymore.

But when I do want to allow myself the luxury of turning my life over to a game, it is HACK! It was a Unix D&D game called Rogue, ported to DOS in the mid '80's. It has more detailed game play than almost anything. But the graphics are well, ever heard of ANSI? And it has memory release issues with NT that require me to use taskmanager to remove it at times.

http://www.freewebs.com/drussell/RevivedHack.htm