Science Forums

Mathematical Beauty

pgrmdave

Good question. I just recommended a book about that in the Christmas book thread.

Here is a review of that book:

http://physicsweb.org/articles/review/15/3/1

I think the "beuty" is related to "simplicity". It is all about finding the simplest way to explain something, and then wrap it all up in the shortest equation possible. Like E=mc2...

They would at least have less room for error since there would be fewer variables which could screw up the results.

But of course - any equation is based on assumptions that other equations are right. The entire mathematical language we use is based on basic assumptions which might turn out to be wrong...so I think simplicity rules because - that's the way it is.

But of course - any equation is based on assumptions that other equations are right. The entire mathematical language we use is based on basic assumptions which might turn out to be wrong...

What assumptions? Could these assumptions be applied to the thread in Philosophy and Humanities > Philosophy of Science - physics eventually gets down to assumption and acceptance?