Science Forums

Alzheimer's? Why?

Great talk today from one of the Yanks out here for the Alzheimer's confrence

National Press Club Address - Dr Constantine Lyketsos: Alzheimers Research Expert

12:30pm Wednesday, 23 Sep 2009

News CC

Dr Constantine Lyketsos: Alzheimers Research Expert presents "Dementia: Facing The Epidemic"

Also showing on ABC

Dr Constantine Lyketsos: Alzheimers Research Expert - 3:25am Thursday, September 24

- 12:30pm Wednesday, September 30

- 3:25am Thursday, October 1

- 12:30pm Wednesday, October 7

- 3:25am Thursday, October 8

A great pity transcpts are not available TMK.

A few points of interest

Alzheimer's is a woman's disease.

Twice as many women as men over 80 get it

and most carers of Alzhimer's people are women.

So a double whammy, impacting on women much more than men.

Downs connection

All people with Downs Syndrome (Trisomy 21) get Alzheimer's (at about age 40?)

Euhtinasia

When asked about the terminal prognosis of the later stages of AL and if Euthinasia shoul be adopted Dr Constantine Lyketsos said he was a doctor, such adecison was one for society. Physicians, he felt, should not be (deliberately?;) ) killing people. He also compared the AL sufferer with Downs sydrome people

Brain bank.

People donating their used brains for resarch. This he said was very important for future research, not just those wth the disease, but also those without it as well.

Donate here?

Australian Brain Bank Network

The donation of post-mortem (autopsy) brain tissue for research is of fundamental importance to further our understanding of the causes of brain and mind conditions, and to develop more effective diagnostic tools and treatments for these conditions.

For more information about donating brain tissue for research, visit: National Neuroscience Facility

Research

He sees a breakthrough in the 'amaloid' theory ( a cause?, of a big % of AL) in 5 yers or so, But he was talking of time frames of 20 years in terms of a real breakthough. He felt this, fouth cause of death in older people, was no being given the reserch money it needed in time to prevent a major epidemic. He compared the funding to Aids and military expenditure

Breakthroughs in stem cell approches are likey to come from Australia, where three of the major corner stone breakthroughs have already come. He said (and I didn't catch his reasons) that Australians were able to do reseach better, ? and more economically than Yanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Mind & Brain / Alzheimer's

Is Alzheimer's Like a Strange Form of Brain Cancer?

Biochemist Peter Davies began investigating Alzheimer’s disease in the 1970s, long before its full impact became clear.

By 2030 roughly 7.5 million Americans will have this debilitating neurodegenerative disorder. Already Alzheimer’s costs the country $148 billion a year; we urgently need to find the cause—and a cure.

For years the prevailing theory was that memory loss was caused by protein fragments, so-called plaques and tangles, that accumulate in the brain. Davies, now at the Litwin-Zucker Center for the Study of Alzheimer’s Disease and Memory Disorders in Manhasset, New York, suspects a different culprit. His hunch is that the mechanisms controlling cell division have gone wrong—somewhat like what happens in cancer—and that plaques and tangles are the result. In the quest for answers, Davies has led hundreds of studies and examined more than 6,000 brains.

Is Alzheimer's Like a Strange Form of Brain Cancer? | Alzheimer's | DISCOVER Magazine

this implies that most of the Alzheimer's research now is going in the wrong direction. The wrong srtategy is being taken or horse is being backed.

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't so much a reason why but an attempt to clarify the problem. I have a brother and sister-in-law that both have it. What I've noticed is that they 'know' things but cannot express them verbally - that is they still have the memories of their experiences but have lost the social language to communicate them, 'verbally' i.e. use words/ sound patterns or 'subjective language to describe objective events. So visual and sensory experience hasn't really gone but the verbal bridge to social communication with others (I base this not only on what I've seen of their stumblings and brightening up when you grasp what they are on about, so that they don't have to struggle to express it but also me and my wife's own failings in this area i.e. inability to remember certain things but to still 'know' them and the 'ability' to recognize when someone else is aware of that knowledge.:eek:

• 1 month later...
Alzheimer hope in ancient medical memories

Friday, 18 December 2009

By Catherine Norwood

For thousands of years Ayurvedic practitioners in India have used an aquatic plant known as brahmi (Bacopa monniera) to enhance intelligence and mental functioning. Now, Western medicine is examining the herb’s potential to delay or treat dementia.

Brahmi, pine bark and lemon balm are among the herbal preparations showing therapeutic effects that may help treat various symptoms related to Alzheimer’s dementia, including loss of memory, capacity to learn, depression and anxiety.

. . .

The incidence of dementia is expected to rise rapidly in coming years, with Alzheimer’s Australia predicting the number of sufferers in Australia will quadruple from 245,000 in 2009 to 1.1 million by 2050, as a result of our ageing population.

Research Fellow with Alzheimer’s Australia Dr Maree Farrow says the disease is fast becoming one of the most feared health issues worldwide. . . .

. . .

Despite claims on some products about the benefits of vitamin E and Ginkgo biloba, she says clinical trials have not shown conclusive results in treating already established Alzheimer’s disease, although some research suggests these supplements may have a role in delaying its onset.

. . .

. . .

The findings include inflammation of the brain, deposits of beta amyloid, traces of heavy metals and signs of oxidative stress. Professor Stough says research suggests that brahmi’s mechanism of action acts on all of these. It has an anti-inflammatory effect, is an antioxidant and collates and removes heavy metals and beta amyloid.

. . .

Two brahmi trials have been done over 90 days with double-blind, randomised control techniques using a special brahmi containing product marketed as KeenMind. The results have shown improvements in working memory, particularly spatial memory accuracy.

A 50-day trial of a particular pine bark extract supplement for men aged 50 to 65 years has also shown improved speed in spatial working memory and immediate recognition tasks, along with a trend towards lower systolic blood pressure.

Another trial is investigating the short-term calmative effects of a special lemon balm product, because anxiety and agitation are major symptoms that Alzheimer sufferers experience. Different preparations trialled included a tea and yoghurt, with some positive results. Participants were less stressed while taking part in testing, although their performance in the testing did not necessarily improve.

Both Professors Scholey and Stough stress the importance of the specific preparations used in trials, and that the therapeutic effects demonstrated do not necessarily translate to all products containing the relevant herbs.

Alzheimer hope in ancient medical memories (Science Alert)

• 2 weeks later...

ARTWORKS - Art and memory and Alzheimer's

Sunday 15 November, 10am & Tuesday 17 November, 3pm RN

The Museum of Modern Art in New York and the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra have ground-breaking access programs for people with dementia. So what are the benefits of looking at art and talking about art when you have Alzheimer's Disease?

Artworks

ARTWORKS - Art and memory and Alzheimer's

Sunday 15 November, 10am & Tuesday 17 November, 3pm RN

The Museum of Modern Art in New York and the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra have ground-breaking access programs for people with dementia. So what are the benefits of looking at art and talking about art when you have Alzheimer's Disease?

Artworks

Apparently singing in choirs works too because of the simplicity and rhythm/ rhyme, plus emotion of the music: Complex, subjective, intellectual 'talk' doesn't work as well. This is because of the communication ranking of importance, from body language through to verbal tone and the above only having a small percentage of meaning for people.

I also remember a program on British TV a few years back (Horizon?) that mentioned dementia and brain injury through stroke etc. opening up sight as a means of communication, when verbal ability lessened.

Mind & Brain / Alzheimer's

Is Alzheimer's Like a Strange Form of Brain Cancer?

Biochemist Peter Davies began investigating Alzheimer’s disease in the 1970s, long before its full impact became clear.

By 2030 roughly 7.5 million Americans will have this debilitating neurodegenerative disorder. Already Alzheimer’s costs the country $148 billion a year; we urgently need to find the cause—and a cure.

For years the prevailing theory was that memory loss was caused by protein fragments, so-called plaques and tangles, that accumulate in the brain. Davies, now at the Litwin-Zucker Center for the Study of Alzheimer’s Disease and Memory Disorders in Manhasset, New York, suspects a different culprit. His hunch is that the mechanisms controlling cell division have gone wrong—somewhat like what happens in cancer—and that plaques and tangles are the result. In the quest for answers, Davies has led hundreds of studies and examined more than 6,000 brains.

Is Alzheimer's Like a Strange Form of Brain Cancer? | Alzheimer's | DISCOVER Magazine

this implies that most of the Alzheimer's research now is going in the wrong direction. The wrong srtategy is being taken or horse is being backed.

Yes, I think research is probably going in the wrong direction but I don't think it is like cancer, unless both are caused by the body's owner giving up on life (depression and abandonment of control, leading to tangles and plaque build up - think of somebody/ area, where pride is taken to control and keep tidy a house, garden, street, park etc. and what happens when nothing positive is done to keep order as opposed to love and enthusiasm for a task: I believe the outside world simply mirrors the inside one, making it heaven or hell through presence and effort or demoralization and abandonment)

Sugar and Alzheimer's

Some very promising new research

Bob Vassar: There was an observation that's now about 25 years old that patients with Alzheimer's disease have a problem with using the sugar glucose. Now glucose is the primary fuel that the brain uses for energy.

Norman Swan: The brain is probably the highest user of glucose in the body isn't it?

Bob Vassar: Yes it is a very, very high glucose user; actually patients with Alzheimer's disease use less glucose in their brains. Some scientists believe it's because those brain cells are dying and therefore dead neurons, dead brain cells don't use glucose. But I started looking at it the other way, perhaps there's a problem with blood flow in the brain and it's actually the delivery of glucose to those brain cells that might be the problem.

Alzheimer's disease and dementia - Health Report - 4 January 2010

You know the way that pigeons can get lost, if their own magnetic inner compass is disturbed - could this be an area of study? (Brain and electrical/ EM disturbance).

By the way, check out my posts in Dementia and Dreams, in Strange Claims, for other outrageous ideas.

Loved this attitude of turning things on their head - too many people in my opinion, assume that effect is cause and not the other way round!

It is like a great detective story. So many clues, so many leads. Which one to follow? Where is the killer?

There is a lot of money out there for research but it could all go for nothing if the wrong path is taken.

I liked the sugar thing. Our bodies don't handle sugar well at the best of times-- and the 20C swamping of our diet with it, is unprecedented in human history.

Yes I think Lewis Carrol had something to say about standing on your head to get the right answer.

Some great inventions seem so obvious a priori (Does that mean after the event?)!

One from "left field". (Whatever that is).

Mobile phone use may reverse Alzheimer's

Mobile phone use may reverse Alzheimer's - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Actually this may tie in with recent post on this subject about pigeons and magnetism - could it be the electrical field of the phone or psychological i.e. somebody to talk to easily, rather than 'vegetating' in a care* home with nobody to talk to at all?

*Nowadays with a lot of these homes geared to the money angle, 'care' (respect) is the last thing a lot of residents get (they get in the way of the smooth running of the 'business'). Those ones that actively engage the residents in 'life', keep them mentally 'alive', not just bodies in chairs and beds.

Actually this may tie in with recent post on this subject about pigeons and magnetism - could it be the electrical field of the phone or psychological i.e. somebody to talk to easily, rather than 'vegetating' in a care* home with nobody to talk to at all?

interesting brain-link

*Nowadays with a lot of these homes geared to the money angle, 'care' (respect) is the last thing a lot of residents get (they get in the way of the smooth running of the 'business'). Those ones that actively engage the residents in 'life', keep them mentally 'alive', not just bodies in chairs and beds.

Care here is increasingly under strain. A recent ABC expose of aged care exposed a lot of inadequate nursing including people dying of bed-sores. (When i was a nurse if bed-sores even happened the head nurse would have your 'guts for garters').

Aged care nurses are underpaid, overworked and under-trained.

The cost of getting someone into care is horrendous and will take any pension or assets an old person may have.

There is a continual press hysteria about how we will pay for an aging population. My felling is 'Find the money you bastards; I built the economy you see now'. For example when i started my working life there were 2-3 universities in NSW now there are many. There were no expressways now there are many. Most kids left school at 15YO now they leave at 17-18. etc etc

interesting brain-link

Care here is increasingly under strain. A recent ABC expose of aged care exposed a lot of inadequate nursing including people dying of bed-sores. (When i was a nurse if bed-sores even happened the head nurse would have your 'guts for garters').

Aged care nurses are underpaid, overworked and under-trained.

The cost of getting someone into care is horrendous and will take any pension or assets an old person may have.

There is a continual press hysteria about how we will pay for an aging population. My felling is 'Find the money you bastards; I built the economy you see now'. For example when i started my working life there were 2-3 universities in NSW now there are many. There were no expressways now there are many. Most kids left school at 15YO now they leave at 17-18. etc etc

People who care as I've found from those that reply to my posts on various sites, over this matter, do what their consciences tell them, even if it gets them the sack from management who don't care (only interested in profit, monsters). If such people get to be in charge, then conscience changes how things are run and those without it leave instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Alzheimer's Research Trust Dementia 2010 report reveals true impact of dementia on the UK

A major new Alzheimer’s Research Trust commissioned University of Oxford report, Dementia 2010 , reveals that the impact of dementia on the UK’s society and economy is higher than ever. It also shows that dementia research remains severely underfunded compared to other conditions like cancer and heart disease. We now know that dementia affects 820,000 people, costing the UK economy £23 billion per year, while dementia research funding is twelve times lower than that for cancer research.

Visit Dementia 2010 - Alzheimer's Research Trust to view the full report.

Alzheimer's Research Trust Dementia 2010 report reveals true impact of dementia on the UK

A major new Alzheimer’s Research Trust commissioned University of Oxford report, Dementia 2010 , reveals that the impact of dementia on the UK’s society and economy is higher than ever. It also shows that dementia research remains severely underfunded compared to other conditions like cancer and heart disease. We now know that dementia affects 820,000 people, costing the UK economy £23 billion per year, while dementia research funding is twelve times lower than that for cancer research.

Visit Dementia 2010 - Alzheimer's Research Trust to view the full report.

New thought on the matter: Cancer patients can still think, so fight for their rights. Dementia patients can't, so don't.