Science Forums

Active Denial System

Racoon

won't this fry your eyeballs or retina if you look at it.

I'm with Boerseun etc. If they had this in south america over the last 5 years they wouldn't have the real and vibrant democracies they have now.

Tazers have been trialed here recently and people have been repeatedly tazered while lying on the ground with several police sitting on them. Cops laughing about it as they do it caught on video. Same story with pepper spray. Unfortunately police forces attract people with sadistic tendancies. We need some sort of EM pulse cannon that'll fry it.

• 10 months later...

It turns out this thing is ready, but the military is not willing to spend more money on it until the weapon is fielded (tested and proven), but they can't show that it's fielded until they get more money to spend on it.

It turns out that lethal weapons get into our system more easily than non-lethal ones. I guess it's all about priorities. It's easier to take a life than to spend money on technology which could save more. 60 Minutes did a special on it this evening. See links below for some sections of that program:

CBS News Video - Top Stories and Video News Clips at CBSNews.com

I saw that. It was quite interesting.

I would agree that it isn't guarenteed harmless. I also really liked the examples they gave of places/events which it would have been very helpful.

Keeping harrasing boats from charging combat boats is a great one:)

I still worry about what affect this ray would have on containers of fuel in a city enviornment.