Science Forums

CFCs, damages the ozone

Tim_Lou

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that HFCs such R134a are now the subject of a phase-out plan, mandated by a 2016 amendment to the Montreal Protocol, due to their potency as climate change agents. More here: https://www.danfoss.com/en/about-danfoss/our-businesses/cooling/refrigerants-and-energy-efficiency/hfc-phase-down/montreal-protocol/

So HFCs are a great improvement as regards ozone depletion, but bad actors re climate change. 

You will see from the Danfoss link that ammonia, CO2 and hydrocarbons are candidate replacements, depending on the system. Ammonia is in fact already a traditional refrigerant fluid, used for over half a century in large refrigeration systems of the sort found in processing plants and refrigerated ships. The challenge is for the small systems (domestic, car aircon etc). 

I am not sure why R-134a would be phased out since it contains no chlorine.     

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane

Bill Dietrich, product general manager, chillers, Daikin Applied Americas, noted there has been a great deal of work taking place to get A2L mildly flammable refrigerants recognized in the building codes. Until that hurdle is cleared, he’s advising customers to stick with R-410A and R-134a.

“We’ve been telling people that the best choices are R-410A and R-134a until we get the codes sorted out and can move to longer-term alternatives,” Dietrich said.

He added that despite the 2024 EPA SNAP program delisting of R-410A and R-134a for new chillers, he does not expect the EPA to target any other refrigerants for phaseouts until the industry has determined safety standards for A2L refrigerants.

“I don’t think we’re going to see a lot of movement on refrigerants until 2024,” Dietrich said. “By that time, if the A2Ls are in place, I think we will see the commercial market move first, like it did with R-22. The residential market would likely continue with R-410A.”

https://www.achrnews.com/articles/134672-is-r-410a-here-to-stay

I think the International Codes Council may have an issue with penetrating fire rated assemblies with piping containing a "mildly flammable refrigerant", but we will see during the next Code Adoption cycle.  I am sure UL is already looking into these products.  

It appears that the past may become the future as we return to ammonia or carbon dioxide refrigeration.

https://www.ohio.edu/mechanical/thermo/Applied/Chapt.7_11/Chapter9.html

Hmmm, save the ozone and choke people, or screw the ozone and scorch the planet.  Tough choice.

Edited by fahrquad

I am not sure why R-134a would be phased out since it contains no chlorine.     

It's because it is a strong global warming gas. Chlorine is not relevant to that, only to ozone depletion.

As a saturated HFC, it is also very stable in the environment, so it hangs around and accumulates, increasing its global warming potential (GWP). 

From what I read, the new HFOs (hydrofluoroolefins) have the great advantage that they break down within a few weeks in the atmosphere and thus do not accumulate. This keeps their GWP low. 

(I presume in both cases there will be IR absorption from the stretching and bending of the polar C-F bond.) 

Edited by exchemist

OK, now I think they are just f***ing with us.

R-134a cylinders are colored light blue.[3] Attempts at phasing out its use as a refrigerant with substances that have lower global warming potential, such as HFO-1234yf, are underway.

I'm not sure why you think that. Post 25 explains the rationale for replacing HFCs and why HFOs are better.  

I'm not sure why you think that. Post 25 explains the rationale for replacing HFCs and why HFOs are better.  

I am joking.  R-134a and R-410 were supposed to save us from the perils of R-12 and R-22, but they just seem to have been stop-gap measures that cost us more money.  Couldn't we have skipped them and gone straight to R-1234yf???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene

There is this one saving grace...

HFO-1234yf was initially considered to have a 100-year GWP of 4, and is now considered to have a 100-year GWP lower than 1.[4][3]It can be used as a "near drop-in replacement" for R-134a,[11] the product previously used in automobile AC systems, which has a 100-year GWP of 1430.[5][12]

This meant that automakers would not have to make significant modifications in assembly lines or in vehicle system designs to accommodate the product. HFO-1234yf had the lowest switching cost for automakers among the proposed alternatives.[13][14] The product can be handled in repair shops in the same way as R-134a, although it requires some different, specialized equipment to perform the service. One of the reasons for that is the mild flammability of HFO-1234yf.[15] Another issue affecting the compatibility between HFO-1234yf and R-134a-based systems is the choice of lubricating oil.[16]

I should have added that HFO-1234yf is also known as R-1234yf.

Edited by fahrquad

On the home front...

R22 (Refrigerant) replacement
ai_refrigerant1.jpg?sfvrsn=d2ea6175_6

Was your air conditioner system installed in 2010 or earlier? If so, it probably runs on R22 refrigerant. R22 is currently being phased out of production because it contributes to ozone depletion and global warming.

Before the clock runs out, turn to Petro Home Services for R22 replacement services and answers to all your questions about air conditioning systems. We have EPA-certified technicians on hand to discuss your needs and options, including R22 refrigerant draining.

Call 1.888.735.5651 to learn more about your R22 refrigerant replacement options.

FAQs: R22 phase-out for air conditioning systems What is R22?

R22 refrigerant has been used for years in central air conditioners, heat pumps, mini-splits, car AC systems, and other refrigeration equipment. It’s the key to absorbing and removing heat from a space. You might also hear R22 refrigerant called by its chemical name, hydrochlorofluorocarbon 22 (HCFC-22).

Why is R22 being phased out?

R22 is a greenhouse gas that contributes to the depletion of the Earth’s ozone layer and to global warming. Since we rely on the ozone to absorb harmful UV radiation, it’s very important to pinpoint and eliminate the use of greenhouse gases whenever possible. The R22 phase-out is occurring in accordance with the U.S. Clean Air Act and the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer.

How do I know if my air conditioning system uses R22?

If your air conditioner was installed before 2010, it probably uses R22. Check the nameplate on the unit to find out what type of refrigerant is being used.

When is the R22 phase out taking place?

R22 will be completely phased out by January 1, 2020. No new or imported R-22 will be allowed in the U.S. after this date, and technicians will only be able to use recycled, reclaimed, or previously produced R22 to service equipment.

What’s a safer alternative to R22?

All air conditioners and cooling equipment currently being manufactured use hydro-fluorocarbon (HFC) refrigerants. R410A is the most common, but others include R134a, R407C and R407A. These refrigerants cool interior spaces just as effectively as R22 with no ozone depleting characteristics and relatively low Global Warming Potential (GWP).

If my system runs on R22, what should I do? What are my R22 Replacement options?

There is no need to replace your existing system if it is operating normally, but if you find that it needs servicing, you have a few options:

• Continue using R22: R22 can still be used to service existing air conditioners, but supplies will be more limited and more expensive as the refrigerant is harder to source. Make sure your air conditioning technician repairs damaged refrigerant lines instead of merely topping off leaky air conditioners. Be aware that 1) older AC models that use R22 may also not be running at peak efficiency, and 2) the cost of R22 will continue to increase as it becomes less available.

• Use a “drop-in” refrigerant: There are “drop-in” refrigerants that can be used in place of R22. Most work okay but will result in decreased reliability and performance. For this reason, you should only use drop-ins for quick, temporary repairs and have a different long-term replacement plan in mind.

• Install a new system: To save money on future repairs and do your part for the environment, consider replacing your air conditioner sooner rather than later, especially if the equipment is already 10 years old. Newer systems uses acceptable refrigerants such as R410s, and has the added benefit of increasing the resale value of your home.
Can R410A be used in an R22 air conditioner?

No. R22-charged units are not compatible with R-410 refrigerant. Using the wrong refrigerant can result in failure of your air conditioning system.

So prepare to spend $5000+ at some point in the near future for a new home cooling system.

I am joking.  R-134a and R-410 were supposed to save us from the perils of R-12 and R-22, but they just seem to have been stop-gap measures that cost us more money.  Couldn't we have skipped them and gone straight to R-1234yf???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene

That's a question of politics.

The fridge makers have been responding to changes in national law, resulting from countries' responses to the Montreal Protocol.  This originally focused on ozone depletion, but was later amended in 2016 to address the GWP of the HFCs that were used to comply with its original provisions.  The ozone story is a great success of international cooperation. Climate change is a lot harder, but in the arena of refrigerants the legislators and manufacturers are all on the same page and can see solutions, so it will happen.

I suspect the success is due in part to the manufacturers seeing a way to make money out of the changes without a lot of inconvenience to their customers - always good outcomes to ensure, if you are politician wanting to change things.  

(P.S. I used to follow the twists and turns of all this when I was Product Manager for - among other things - refrigerator lubricants at Shell. The choice of lubricant technology is tricky, as the various refrigerants can interact quite strongly with some of them. But I am out of date now. :) )

Edited by exchemist