Science Forums

Closed Continuum

Robust

Something that has always befuddled me with regard to contemorary mathematics is how any closed continuum can be described other than by a whole number or ending decimal. If not able to define an exacting relationship between line and arc, how can we ever hope to navigate the stars or determine the resnonant association between particles at the quantum level (any level)?

"All things number and harmony." - Pythagoras

but mathematics describes a lot of things with other things then a "whole number or ending decimal". and i dont think it matters here if the curve is closed, or not.

e.g. a circle with coordinates (x,y) and radius R would be described by something like x^2 + y^2 = R^2, where x,y and R are Real numbers. Real numbers are by definition not confined to be a whole number, or ending decimal.

Bo

Bo, I think it matters a great deal if the curve is closed or not; if closed, then like the square, a closed continuum. And if a closed continuum, then by neccessity requiring that it's area be defined by either a whole number or ending decimal. There has recently been given a pi value that does achieve that - but best we wait to see how that turns out with the boys upstairs!

an area can be seen as the infinite sum of infinitly small dots or lines.... it really doesnt have to be ending decimal...

But if the number of dots and/or lines are known and a closed continuum, then why not an ending decimal? In fact, I don't see how it could logically be otherwise. Very confusing to me....

The reason for it not being an ending decimal has more to do with our number system than mathematics.

I think you're right....and have to point to the irrational pi as the culprit. It truly is nothing more than an idealistic fabrication of numbers, an abstract logarithm of decimal expansion with no conformity or possibility of end..Time I think it was contested.

Something that has always befuddled me with regard to contemorary mathematics is how any closed continuum can be described other than by a whole number or ending decimal. If not able to define an exacting relationship between line and arc, how can we ever hope to navigate the stars or determine the resnonant association between particles at the quantum level (any level)?

- Pythagoras

Perhaps you should have asked why they could be described by numbers other than integers, which would include fractions that cannot be described as decimals.

The reason for it not being an ending decimal has more to do with our number system than mathematics.

This is where I run into trouble with maths - terminology - so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

What factors are they? I know of only one example where, say, area of the circle can be described by a whole number using the irrationasl pi (and that by virtue of root 2), giving a value of 1.0 area. The originally known pi value of 256/81 also gives an area by a whole number, but by a diameter at the opposite end of the Base 10 number system and also employing root 2. Something strange going on here that bears investigating.

Okay, I've been working on it, but still confused as hell as to the concept of unending decimals. Is this to say that the irrational pi - or any pi value forn that matter - is incapable of defining the area to a circle by a whole number? And if it could be so defined, what would that mean? Meanwhile....back to the calculator!