Science Forums

Explain your avatars!

Tormod

Did you always attend BYOY parties Mr. Party Man? :eek_big:

My avatar is depicting a glowing orb of gas that is very, very, very far away. It's a crop from a Nasa photo showing a far away galaxy.

New avatar coming soon...

(arkain, wanna help?)

Hey, I missed that reply. Great idea. I'll see what I can do. You can take a look at some album pics, should be updated weekly.

Science Forums - arkain101's Album: Computer Aided Graphics

Augie Doggie was my nickname in highschool, acquired during frosh track. I have personality traits in common and have grown to really like the little cartoon fella. It never bothered me to be Augie back then partly because of the jovial way it was handed out, but also partly b/c I never got the physical part of the nickname until 10 years later when I met my future wife. A maker of shirts and pants, she pointed out that my legs (inseam) and arms are all nearly 3" too short for my height! Long torsos and thick thighs run in the family, so I somehow I never got it that I have short stubby legs. I suffered a bit until LOTR came onto the big screen and short hairy legs and toes came back into fashion. I married a short torsoed long limbed woman so the kids are almost back in balance.

• 3 months later...

:) Oh, Philip, that's a good one!

I tried a number of avatars when I first joined. Has it been three years yet? Mostly, I used images of stamps since I used to be a very active stamp collector.

Then there was this thread on the Mandelbrot Space -- I think Turtle started it -- and I had to show off my own Mandelbrot Generator, written in Perl, I think -- and while doing this, had the great idea of using one the images produced by my Generator as my avatar.

So here it is. It's so unique, and has a kind of mystical, haunting, eerie, alien look to it, that I cannot seem to imagine having another. I have become that assymetrical black alien, surrounded by bolts of fractal lightening. I scare me sometimes.

I'm into spin. Always have been. So until I make I own avatar, this one will do.

Maddog

Ok... I updated mine too. Currently this is a representation of a Twistor called the

Robinson Congruence. Twistors are waaay Kewl! Supposedly this is speculation on what a

photon looks like in Twistor space. Check the book by Roger Penrose, "Roads to Reality"

for background (Chp 34, I think).

Though I admit after visiting that website that Pyrotex mentioned on Fractals (by Duncan), I

was a bit envious of the some of the beauties found there. Very similar to one we used to

create on RealScene when I worked at Hughes Aircraft years ago. Hmmm.... :turtle: :read:

maddog