Science Forums

Books for Christmas

Tormod

if they're written for beginners, then I'm probably not even a beginner. maybe a no-brainer. maybe the problem is that i learn science and math in Malay language and it takes a while to get used to the English terminology. Very discouraging you know when you can't grasp it and your mind starts wandering elsewhere. But of late at the tertiary level everything in the class has been in English and I'm getting better.

But thank you Divine and Aki. I'll sure check out Brian Greene someday later if I find it (those books that were suggested are very rare here).

hmm that sounds interesting; the search for beauty in physics is a very strange thing. Why is one equation more beautifull then another? and why does this seem to be a sensible question at all?

In the end any form of truth should have some beauty in it....

Bo

Another recommendation (this one is not Tinny-compatible, sorry):

Graham Farmelo (ed.): It Must be Beautiful (essays about famous equations and how they came into being, and why scientists look for "beauty" and "simplicity" when creating equations)

Hei, that book sounds great. I'd love to read. but that happens all the time. books look so interesting.but after the first few chapters, it all gets boring.