Science Forums

Wonder cure II: homeopathie

sanctus

What do you think about homeopathie?

I personally believe that it works, but only because of self-suggestion. I do not believe that an almost infinite dilution of the sickness creating entity helps do develop anti-corps, simply because the probability that you drink something else than water tends to zero.

I have to say, that lately I read an article that some scientist in Lausanne (Switzerland) showed that water had memory, that it sort of changed something in its molecular structure, but this doesn't seem enough to me to prove the scientific use of homeopathie.

New Scientist had a special on this a year or two ago and their conclusion (IIRC) was that there is no such thing as "memory" in water.

Logically it speaks for itself: when you dilute something so that not even a trace of it is detectable in water, then it will not have the effect it is claimed to have. I know of not one scientific study which conclusively says that homeopathic solutions work. I have read several articles about studies which conclusively show that they do not, however. The margin of error is always within statistical reliability, meaning that any improvement in people feeling ill may well happen, but because of placebo or other effects, not the water itself.

:wink: Sort of says it all, really.

Interesting. I'd like to read about that.

What's the relation of water and homeopathy and memory? I though homeopathy was something metaphysical. About balance of energy, spirit, etc... Similar to feng shui and other eastern thoughts.

tinny,I'm no expert, but from what I understood homeopathie can be resumed as:

"fighting illness with a drug that is a dilution of the cause of the illness".

I guess that you thought it has to do with spirituality and energy, because many people (at least all I know) that follow are close to that way of thinking; nothing against them very good friends of mine are "spiritual" and use homeopathie.

I think that's as well the reason why it works, this people really believe in it, therefore it's placebo.

There have been a few demostrations of homeopathic mass suicides, where skeptics made a highly diluted solution with various kinds of poisons. It didn't work...

Are you serious? they really tried it?eventually they stopped experimenting on animals before?

A little bit of critical thinking destroys the entire concept of Homopathy. The concept being that water that comes in contact with an element at one time has a memory of it regardless of the continued existence of that element. Dilution to the point at which no measurable amount of the element exists.

Well if this was true, every water molecule in existence at this point has come in contact with every other molecule at some point thru some contact with another water molecule. Thus evey water molecule would ahve a memory imprint of every element in existence and all water molecules could heal everything.

Obviously this is not the case.

• 3 weeks later...

The manufacturers and promoters of homeopathic products must be aware ore exactly what they are marketingl. Aren't there FDA rules that requrie product testing, at least to determine of a substance actually contains what the label says. Si if it contains none of the element mentioned (just a memory), then how can it be legitimately on the market? I've seen bottles of these items in grocery stores!:)

The manufacturers and promoters of homeopathic products must be aware ore exactly what they are marketingl. Aren't there FDA rules that requrie product testing, at least to determine of a substance actually contains what the label says.

Thanks to Deregulation Mania in the US, all the herbs and homopathy type products are listed as "Dietary Suplements" and do not require ANY oversight what so ever. The onl time such a product is subject to Gov scrutiny is if the Gov receives enough consumer complaints.