Science Forums

I'll have an ice cold _____

TheBigDog

When I was in school, I too learned that the English used rubbers to erase pencil writings...
I'm sure they'd work as long as you avoided the lubricated kind. In order to avoid indecency of course you'd need a banana or a flashlight ("torch" if you're a Brit!)... :)

Prophylactically,

Buffy

My sister went over to America and was talking about buying thongs, and was a little embarrassed to find out that thongs in the US are actually what we aussies call a g-string, and what she really wanted were flip-flops

She only missed by a few years. When I was a kid thongs gave you a sore between your toes.

Bill

She only missed by a few years. When I was a kid thongs gave you a sore between your toes.

Bill

It's interesting how words change meaning over time, or are replaced. So thongs were footware in the US for a while, then someone decided they'd be underware instead and flip-flops would be the footware. It catches on and before you know it the whole country has adopted the new language.

Also, in Australia what we call a jumper, Americans call a sweatshirt.

It's interesting how words change meaning over time, or are replaced. So thongs were footware in the US for a while, then someone decided they'd be underware instead and flip-flops would be the footware. It catches on and before you know it the whole country has adopted the new language.

Also, in Australia what we call a jumper, Americans call a sweatshirt.

To make it worse it is probably regional in the US.

Bill