Science Forums

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Tim_Lou

ooh this is the first time anyone said that tpo me

(because otherwise i will forget this: on 5 december it's happy sinterklaas!)

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas#Celebration_in_the_Netherlands )

Bo

Strange how it is so similar to Christmas. Sounds like what Christmas would have been without the Jesus part...is it a religious festival at all?

BTW - I am taking the shortest trip ever to Holland. I'm going there on Sunday because I have to pick up a satellite model on Monday morning at the ESTEC space center in Nordwiijk...and then I'm going straight back to Norway again. I'll be gone in less that 24 hours. Cool eh?

Hmm noordwijk isn't the most interesting place in the country :eek: (the beach is nice in the winter, but i suppose you have something like that in norway as well)

As for sinterklaas: Yes it is original a reliious festival, It is the day of saint nicholas, who is the patron of children and sailors. (since for a long time holland was a country of sailormen, that's why it is still celebrated here). The dutch colonists brought sinterklaas to the new world, where sinterklaas became santa claus. Of course these days it has nothing to do with any religion; The main idea is presents and candy :)

Bo