Science Forums

My protest to you.

Tatsuko

Wow! Practically overnight, our resident practicing alchemist has totally self-destructed!

Though it appears that Tatsuko has just too volatile a personality to remain a part of even the fringier membership of hypography (the rhetoric in this tread seemed to be getting perilously close to the “pistols at dawn” sort we’ve been discussing in the recent 8729), I’m sad to see him go. He appeared to have a deep appreciation for the long, esoteric history of alchemy, which is fascinatingly interwoven with the history of science. If only he’d been able to present his ideas from more of a “history of” perspective, he might have been able to contribute some thought-provoking cultural and historical enrichment – which, while if not of interest to a very wide audience, is more interesting IMHO than most of the threads in the theology forum.

I guess I’ll just have to make do with what I gleaned about alchemy from Neil Stephenson’s Baroque Cycle.

Farewell, Tatsuko, and best wishes in your alchemical journeys!

And, of course, my complements to all the moderators who put such time and effort into the last 48 hours, especially the “honorable” TBD, who for a moment I though might be succeeding in having us “all just get along”.

I guess I’ll just have to make do with what I gleaned about alchemy from Neil Stephenson’s Baroque Cycle.

for a moment I though might be succeeding in having us “all just get along”.

Top 10 things I learned from the Baroque Cycle:

1. A good writer who can't stop writing writes good things endlessly

2. When it gets boring, it gets reaaaaaaaaaaaaally boring

3. We don't all need to get along

4. Keep your lists short.

:hihi:

• 3 months later...

I'm not complaining or anything, but can I just ask, why, exactly, did I get my last post in the "FDA calls cloned meat safe for human consumption" infracted by "InfiniteNow"?

I know it was ages ago, but it something which I still feel a bit put off by...

I wasn't rude. I didn't fail to source credit. What I got infracted for was a "Hit and run post"....

My understanding is that a hit and run post is when you drop a silly comment, and contribute nothing. All I did was quote a message, and then write "I suppose" underneath.

So that means you can get into trouble for not writing enough?

My guess is that it was InfiniteNows' revenge for being neg repped....:)

I don't mean to be a pain, but are the rules really that strict?

I'm not complaining or anything, but can I just ask, why, exactly, did I get my last post in the "FDA calls cloned meat safe for human consumption" infracted by "InfiniteNow"?...

My guess is that it was InfiniteNows' revenge for being neg repped....:)

Well, that's curious, as I'd be revenging something that didn't happen. :)

Anyway, here is the post:

http://hypography.com/forums/medical-science/9705-fda-calls-cloned-meats-milk-safe-3.html#post152902

It’s difficult to predict the future of cloned animals, other than that they will likely provide new sources of revenue to members of the legal profession.

I suppose....

My guess is that you really do not understand the concept of a hit and run post. Also, I suggest PM for such questions.

If you have a problem with the infraction, see the following FAQ for recourse:

http://hypography.com/forums/tutorials-how-tos/9780-user-infraction-system-faq.html

I'm interested to know what the staff think of this whole case, but it seems to me that you are abusing you power, or being exceptionally strict....It's not as if I insulted anyone....:) :wave2:

My question is as follows:

Did I deserve an infraction (plus a negative repuation) in the following articles?

http://hypography.com/forums/medical-science/9705-fda-calls-cloned-meats-milk-safe.html#post152902

Did I deserve to be accused of plagiarism in this article?

http://hypography.com/forums/biology/10198-nanowires-carved-silicon-could-make-mass.html

Anyone who refuses to belive me try finding this text elsewhere on the web....you'll fail...(because it has not been copied and pasted)

All I'm asking is that you stop mistreating me...

I've tried to reconcile with you, infinitenow, but I haven't recieved a response yet....

Did I deserve an infraction (plus a negative repuation) in the following articles?

Yes. This was a hit-and-run post and had nothing to do with the thread topic.

Did I deserve to be accused of plagiarism in this article?

Nobody has accused you of plagiarism, you have been asked to credit your sources. That's quite normal around Hypography. A source is not the same as saying you didn't write it yourself. When someone asks for a source, it's because they want a credibility test (or they're interested in learning more about something).

All I'm asking is that you stop mistreating me...

I am asking you to stop making your personal matters public. Please use the PM system when you accuse our staff of things like this.

Nobody has accused you of plagiarism, you have been asked to credit your sources. That's quite normal around Hypography. A source is not the same as saying you didn't write it yourself. When someone asks for a source, it's because they want a credibility test (or they're interested in learning more about something).

I would have done that, but as I did mention in the thread I do not know of which article it was that said what I want to discuss, I was just repeating what I could off the top of my head...if I could find the article which had all that info in again, I would have referenced it... but InfiniteNow said "Gribbon, please post the link from where you copy/pasted the above. Credit where credit is due and all."

....which is absolute nonsense...all you have to do to check whether someone has copied and pasted something is type a few sentences from their article into google, and the search reuslts will throw up the site they copied it from.

It would have been greatly appreciated if he could have done that instead of jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, enough of this....

P.S. Isn't there a special forum for solving these disputes in public? The trouble is that via pm no-one else can help...

But this has been resolved now so I think we can drop this topic/close this thread....

I've tried to reconcile with you, infinitenow, but I haven't recieved a response yet....

Sorry mate. I haven't figured out a way around sleeping yet. Will look at your PM when I get done with my meetings today. Unfortunately, I'm accountable to much bigger fish than you in my real life, so that comes first. :D Cheers. :eek2: