Science Forums

What are the top reasons for miscommunication and communication breakdowns?

InfiniteNow

What are the top reasons for miscommunication and communication breakdowns?

We often have unececessary strife due only to our inability to adequately convey our thoughts to others. Of their inability to understand.

Why do you think this is?

One reason that presented in my thoughts during a recent post elsewhere is that we struggle often enough to understand ourselves.

When others struggle to understand themselves, and you combine that with each us struggling to understand ourselves, it seems to become more clear why communication breaks down.

What do you think? What do you think are the top reasons for miscommunications?

I find myself debating lots of times, about topics I havn't fully researched or thought about myself.

Sometimes, while debating, I'll more or less be taking an apposing side just to get a good compare and constrast debate going. It kind of helps me straighten out my own thoughts if I throw out ideas that I don't necessarily agree with- just to get a reaction out of the person I'm speaking with.

There are other factors, too.

Somedays, when I don't eat properly or something... I get jumbled and confused over simple things.

I think, the miscommunication or the communication breakdown is essentially due to the widespread belief that there is something called objective reality. What is so evident in my perception of reality must be evident to the other person I am communication with. While in fact the so called reality is often from person to person. It is determined by the knowledge, experiences (hence belief) and above all the state of mind of the receiver. Human minds are not really replicas of radio receivers!

:)

We have a perfect example of miscommunication going on within the Theology forum at present. There are many with a religious philosophy that contend that atheism is itself a religion. The problem arises from the misunderstanding about the difference between religion and philosophy. While a religious belief is an ingredient within the makeup of a personal philosophy, it does not account for it's entirety. Likewise, atheism is just another ingredient within a persons total philosophy. Therefore, atheism cannot be misconstrued as a type of religion, it is only a single facet of a persons total philosophy.

Moral: Speech is very often a poor translation for the activity going on within ones mind.............................Infy