Science Forums

Meteorites

Turtle

One of these days I plan to take my metal detector and do some serious meteorite hunting. In the mean time, I live vicariously through those already on the hunt.

May as well start with the article that just jump started this thread idea and go from there. To whit:

Something big is buried beneath a south-central Kansas wheat field, according to Steve Arnold’s metal detector.

But could it be a meteorite, likely the largest ever found on Earth? Or could it be something as mundane as an old tractor?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/15745494.htm?source=rss&channel=kansascity_local

:Alien:

Something big is buried beneath a south-central Kansas wheat field, according to Steve Arnold’s metal detector.

But could it be a meteorite, likely the largest ever found on Earth? Or could it be something as mundane as an old tractor?

Maybe it's a meteorite that had a tractor on it when it hit! :omg:

;)

...down in Antartica, apparently the scientists that brave the weather get quite a good haul of good space rocks

Is there a reason that there is a higher frequency of "space rocks" in the Antarctic regions? Does that region have less erosion or something?

Maybe it's a meteorite that had a tractor on it when it hit! ;)

;)

Is there a reason that there is a higher frequency of "space rocks" in the Antarctic regions? Does that region have less erosion or something?

Meteorites fall with a more or less equal distribution across the globe. The frequency of finds in Antartica reflect the undisturbed and preserving ecology of the region as well as the ease of seeing them in high contrast to the snow & ice.

The potential find in Kansas is - if I recall correctly - associated with a known large impact and people have been finding fragments of it for decades.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12371829/from/RSS/ I'll look for more information to post on it.

I am equally drawn by the scientific aspects of meteorites as well as their monetary value. Depending on the type, meteorites bring between $25/gm and $600/gm. If you find one, do not give it away! Furthermore, in the US a meteorite on private land belongs to the landowner wheras finds on public land belong to the government. Successful private hunters either make a deal with landowners before hunting, or they record finds on public land without removing them and then go to government affiliated universities with the description and strike a deal before revealing the location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite_falls

More to come on this fascinating topic.:omg:

Maybe it's a meteorite that had a tractor on it when it hit! :omg:

At least one target was a buried cable, but another proved to be the real McCoy; a rare pallasite meteor!

Rare Meteorite Found In Kansas Field

(AP) GREENSBURG, Kan. Scientists located a rare meteorite in a Kansas wheat field thanks to new ground-penetrating radar technology that someday might be used on Mars.

Sophisticated metal detectors at the site initially detected what had been thought to be the largest pallasite meteorite ever discovered. But ground-penetrating radar showed that object to be a steel cable.

But with about a dozen potential targets on the site, the team still uncovered a sizable pallasite buried 4 feet under the ground and located a quarter of a mile from where Arnold and Mani found the world's largest pallasite meteorite a year ago.

The newest find weighs 154 lbs, which is bigger than most such meteorites but on par for this particular field, Arnold said.

http://cbs4boston.com/watercooler/watercooler_story_289205555.html

A quick web search of 'Kansas pallasite meteorite prices' turned up a price around $1.00 per gram.

145 pounds * 16ounces/pound * 28 grams/ounce * $1.00/gram = $68,992

I note it is politically incorrect these days to discuss the monetary value, therefore I mention it. Big bucks; pass it on.:) ;) :money: :money: :zip: :wink:

http://collectibles.search.ebay.com/brenham_Meteorites-Tektites_W0QQfclZ4QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ3239

145 pounds * 16ounces/pound * 28 grams/ounce * $1.00/gram = $68,992

Another interesting math calculation for you number junkies (although, I cannot offer the parametes, I offer the challenge):

Is the probability higher to win the lottery or to find a meteorite worth beaucoup d'argent?

As with all probabilistic posers, it all depends. :hihi: What is sure is that if you're not looking/playing, you're not finding/winning.:cup:

As with all probabilistic posers, it all depends. :shrug: What is sure is that if you're not looking/playing, you're not finding/winning.;)

Then there is this story out today about a fella who wasn't even looking who had the meteor(ite) find him!

German police today announced that a fire which swept through a cottage near Bonn, in the process injuring a 77-year-old man, was probably caused by a meteor.

According to Reuters, the 10 October incendiary incident in Siegburg gutted the cottage and "badly burned the man's hands and face".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/20/meteor_destroys_cottage/

Some folks have all the luck! I hope he doesn't just give it away. :eek2:

If a meteorite falls in, say a wood, or a field, it is just another stone. What is the dominant feature of the Antarctic? Snow and ice.

What colour is snow? What colour are meteorites?

The damn things can be seen miles away. Just drive around and pick up scores in a season.

• 4 weeks later...

Winter is here so there won't be any meteorite hunting until at least next Spring. I have tried to direct the focus initially on the monetary value of meteorites because it is not made common knowledge & I see folks getting screwed out of their due when the 'authorities' swoop in and 'accept' the gift for 'our' (their) University.

So I will harp on that later, but in the mean time I wanted to point up the scientific value of recovered meteorites, particularly when they are associated with a recorded sighting of the meteor that leaves them. Here's an article we have in the Hypography archive of just such an event.

http://hypography.com/forums/general-science-news/4074-unusual-meteorite-unlocks-treasure-trove-solar.html

Happy hunting because meteorites are valuable! :confused:

Fascinating!

I found what I presume to be a small meteorite as a kid (should still have it somewhere, not sure).

If memory serves correctly, it's about an inch across, perfectly round (except for what looks like a small "nipple" attached), and really heavy for its size. It's sort of a rusty brown color with a grainy (almost crystalline) surface. By it's weight and color, I'm guessing it's mostly iron.

Nothing spectacular, just thought I'd mention it. ;)

moo

Fascinating!

I found what I presume to be a small meteorite as a kid (should still have it somewhere, not sure).

If memory serves correctly, it's about an inch across, perfectly round (except for what looks like a small "nipple" attached), and really heavy for its size. It's sort of a rusty brown color with a grainy (almost crystalline) surface. By it's weight and color, I'm guessing it's mostly iron.

Nothing spectacular, just thought I'd mention it. ;)

moo

Intriguing! If it is a meteorite, that is spectacular enough.:) Rocks from space! :) Not so long ago the very idea was decried by anyone with a lick of sense as preposterous.:) But, that was then.:hihi: So, if you re-discover your rock, consider cutting it open, or otherwise getting its secrets out. Depending on where you found it, it may be part of a known fall, which as I have said adds to its value both monetarily and scientifically.

PS You can do a simple test for high iron content with a small magnet. :)

PPS 'Auto-roarer' admonition Now noted.;)

Heads up its the Leonids this weekend :)

Ooooooo!!!!! It says this:

Leonids have had a major effect on the development of the scientific study of meteors. The meteor storm of 1833 was of superlative strength, in excess of one hundred thousand meteors an hour, over the entire region of North America east of the Rocky Mountains. It was marked by the Native Americans, slaves and owners, and many others. It was, in a word, unignorable. Many thought it was the end of the world.

We should be so lucky! :) Thanks for the heads-up JQ; astronomy becomes you. :)