Science Forums

Euphemisms of the Politically Correct Persuasion

Turtle

Here, the chain went cripple -> handicapped -> disabled -> differently abled -> physically challenged... and I think there are now even more PC synonyms.

Now labels are not acceptable and you need to use person-first language, so it's out with all of the above.

PC: person with a disability.

OUT: wheelchair-bound

PC: uses a wheelchair

So you're a person with a disability who uses a Personal Anti-Challenge Enablement Vehicle!

I see that Italy is about a decade behind trends in the US. (which is not necessarily a bad thing :phones: ).
Or maybe not so much a decade behind but simply stopped at reasonable limit.

I am about the most "able" cripple you may ever meet, so I never liked the word disabled.
I'm sure of that! :naughty:

Like, "I maybe can't walk but I'll just have you know I'm helping NASA to send rockets around the galaxy!" ;) I think this kind of thing was the idea behind replacing dis- with differently, but of course these things are a matter of what one is used to and some of the younger handicapped folks have grown up hearing the term constantly used inappropriately. Laws should slap a fine on such misuse!

Gosh at first I thought that must be satire!

Only in the southern hemisphere...:shrug:

Hi Qfwfq,

Apparently it was a ban made on shopping center santa's by the larger shopping center owners. Most of the independent and smaller shopping centers are disregarding this rubbish.

I'll tell you what, anybody who thinks that the big fat jolly fellow in a red and white suit is out pimping for his "Ho's" needs their heads examined.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...