Science Forums

North Korea's got the Bomb!

Boerseun

So, North Korea eventually made good on its threats and promises and tested a nuke on Sunday, the 8th October 2006. The underground test was verified by both US and South Korean seismic readings.

This, in my mind, is History in the making. However scary it might be. Japan is considering upping its military capability. China, Japan and South Korea is in Kim Jong Il's firing range. Everybody's miffed - and scared.

Basically, what Kim Jong Il said to the World is: "You have told me not to build nukes. You have threatened me militarily if I do. Now, I have done it. You have verified it. Are you going to make good on your threats? Or will any other tinpot dictatorship see that your threats are hollow, simply hot air? Whatcha gonna do?"

What do you think is going to happen? We are observing History in the making, history as its panning out...

Arent we always observing history in the making.. but yes surely one day people could look back and see this as a significant historical event, I think it will largly depend on how the rest of it pans out. ie It could turn out to be a major turning point or not much at all. He has basically said "your move" it should be interesting to see how the rest of the world reacts.

Basically, yes - "Your Move". But what moves are left available?

The world have effectually isolated North Korea from the international community through years of comprehensive sanctions, so harming them economically isn't really an option - that's already done.

So, what's left? Military? And that's exactly the reason Kim Jong Il built the Bomb in the first place, as a military deterrent. So, you can't tackle him with guns and tanks - you've gotta go with similar force, namely nukes.

Unless they are trying to pull a quick one like the States did with the first two nukes over Japan. They wanted the Japanese to believe that they have a lot of nukes and can deploy them quickly. Meantime, they only had a couple, and didn't have the capacity to build a lot in a short time. So maybe Korea only has one or two, and a quick surgical strike might take the rest of their capability out - thereby preventing them from increasing their stockpile and destroying what they do have, thereby removing the threat. But after years of mutual growling and threats, its clear that the world can't sit around and do nothing.

Interesting... but it might become bloody, I reckon.

I'm in a rush typing this and its late so forgive me.

It seems everyone knows about EMP threat, but I just thought id share a post I had previously made to this subject tonight.

Analyst's suggest north korea wants to show the world they are here to stay aswell. For a country that can not flex a nuclear muscle is not on the big boy list.

Though its rediculous when you think of how many people on this earth want nuclear weapons removed from existence.

Anyhow, I wanted to share with you all something that is very important.

This has to deal with nuclear explosions, however not the effects we are so commonly introduced to. It has to do with the Electromagnetic threat, which is not something that will directly harm a life form, but it will induce an electrical current in anything that is capable to carry it. It can penatrate through walls and so forth.

Our electrical devices are not designed to stand up to such a high voltage jump in its circutry and it will fry all the fragile connections in a device.

Although the electric field created from an EMP lasts for only a short time, its effects can be devastating. It is predicted that a single high altitude burst 200 miles above Kansas could propagate an EMP enveloping the entire United States. Electrical systems connected to things that can conduct current like wires, antennas, and metal objects will suffer significant damage. EMP effects on electronics include interference of radio frequency links, irreparable damage to microcircuits, and even the disabling of satellites. Fortunately, electronic equipment that is turned off is less likely to be damaged.

So there is the threat of a bomb going off inside the atomosphere which will caused shockwave damage to the land/cities/people below, but there is the threat that one bomb detonated at a high enough posistion would be capable to shutdown an entire nation/country for god knows how long.

Look what occured during Katrina. If every significant device you can think of was destructed, its practically game over.

Now this is not something to worry about, because there is never anything to fear! Be brave.

But, what is important is to be prepared. Such as having some kind of useful tangible savings. Such as gold, or water storage, or anything that is obviously significant in emergency situations.

The world truly is at war because the weapons today are capable to affect everyone.

There is really no way for us to stop the inevitable outcome of the use of this weaponry, so in general just provide yourself some precautions.

Any disaster could come along at anytime, not just war.

PS- to give you an idea ... I live around 54 50 in the long and lat coordinates. North west BC canada.

Not 200km from where I am typing today a military plane crashed in a mountain range during the cold war. This plane carried one of the very VERY few nuclear bombs in existence at that time. A major USA operation came in and cleaned up the site (meaning removal of all classified information) and left the crashed plane there.

Rumor has it the bomb was dropped in the ocean before it crashed for saftey reasons, but there was still the military operation that came in.

So even way back then in a remote place like this, a nuke was buzzing around in the air. :shock:

So the risk is there, and its real and it is the world we are in and thats why I say its wise to provide yourself with protection.

In the meantime life only lives one day at a time, so, fear not and live.

Practice your measure of passion of loss in with your passion for what you have, and really live.

Its very difficult to see why so much of humanity allows an individual to have such power over them.

I understand there is complexities, but for goodness sakes, do the people not have the power to vote to own the government? remove the president? and represent themselves as they choose?

Of course we have voting, but presidents assume THEY can really call the shots for millions of us, and it seems to be the ruin to all empires.

I am just venting some frustration. Sorry about that. But doesnt it get under others peoples skin?

Presidents and monarchy and this reminds me of kids on a playground, where the levels of consequence is greatly increased.

I need to think on this to express a more rational post.

I understand there is complexities, but for goodness sakes, do the people not have the power to vote to own the government? remove the president? and represent themselves as they choose?

'Course they do. But not in North Korea! Kim Jong Il is a dictator, and a reclusive one, at that. He basically owns the place, and what he says, goes. And he just entrenched his position by blowing up a sample nuke. Scary, scary stuff...

Good analysis in that article, Ron - I think the guy's got a point; we might be seeing an all-out nuclear arms race in the east...

Kaboom.

'Course they do. But not in North Korea! Kim Jong Il is a dictator, and a reclusive one, at that. He basically owns the place, and what he says, goes.

He's easy enough to deal with. If America tells China that Wal-Mart's purchase order is suspended until they take care of that bug on their *** it will be done. Me thinks Kim Jong will not find China the ally he thinks when he is rattling sabers at them too.

He's easy enough to deal with. If America tells China that Wal-Mart's purchase order is suspended until they take care of that bug on their *** it will be done. Me thinks Kim Jong will not find China the ally he thinks when he is rattling sabers at them too.

I thought so too. But I've read all over the 'net today in analyses about the situation that China is fearful for antagonizing the situation, because they will be flooded with North Korean refugees. So China, like all countries, will be looking after their own interests first.

I thought so too. But I've read all over the 'net today in analyses about the situation that China is fearful for antagonizing the situation, because they will be flooded with North Korean refugees. So China, like all countries, will be looking after their own interests first.

Precisely, it is in China's best interest that the despotic regime of Kim Jong falls so reassure China that NK assistance and trade is readily available once Kim Jong is gone.

my thoughts (i am not a politician btw):

if it comes to world vs n. korea then the results could be devistating. Since they have the bomb now i hope they dont abuse their power and bully any asian nation without nuke.

It could be helpful if new dictator comes in power but as for now, since n.korea has isolated themselves i do not see any way to establish peace b/w them and us.

Cut NK off from the world completely. Utter isolation from all assistance. The regime that cannot feed it's own people will be short lived. It's time for the people of NK to see their government for what it is.

I agree with this strategy as the best I've heard yet. I stayed up 'till 3am listening to all this and just woke so I'm not up to snuff yet on the current state of affairs.

Several things come to mind not mentioned here.

1) The bomb detonated was very small, around 400 to 550 tons of TNT yield. (By comparrison the bomb dropped on Hiroshima was 21 KILOTons and on Nagasaki 15 KiloTons http://www.warbirdforum.com/hiroshim.htm)

2) Testing a nuke and putting it on a missle delivery system are very different propositions.

3) North Korea has tunnels all over the DMZ and might detonate a bomb under South Korea

4) North Korea has a fleet of submarines capable of delivering even a large nuke to ports along Western North America. ( Recent declassified Russion sub logs indicate the Russians sailed right into Puget Sound undetected! :xx: )

5) Japan has lots o' plutonium stored and can construct nukes in fairly short order if needed.

6) If we move surface ships in to blocade N. Korea, we can expect to see some of those Chinese Hsiung Feng II anti-ship missles.

7) US needs to stay with the 6 party setup and not act unilaterally.

Well, at least this has slowed the BradJalena news.B)