Religion (and lack thereof) at Hypography

pgrmdave

What are your beliefs?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What are your beliefs?

• Theist
    • Atheist
    • Spiritual Atheist

I am a Animistic Material Theist. I believe in a god that suffuses all of reality, that is both part of and above my own existence. To me god is an ideal and an living entity. Where it is anthropomorphic or not matters not. What I can say is that I do not believe that the god which I believe in is of such experience that I can comprehend.

I do not believe in effects without causes rooted in reality, in the mind/body/soul of god. To me god is the observer of all observers. The sum state of reality, the image in which we were created in. Matter is the thoughts of god, forming the patterns that are us, giving us the life with which we take for granted. We are truely no different from the clay of the earth and the beast of the land. We are the stuff of stars and the thoughts of a being that sees all, knows all and is all.

Buddha said that the soul is not seperate from the body, and some philosopher then said "the mind is not seperate from the soul." and later it was said by Decartes "I am and I exist." (also translated as I think therefore I am and cogito ergo sum.)

Finally what was said by Buddha circa 550 BC was confirmed by various 19th, 20th and 21st century scientist. We, the observers, are not seperate from the imagination of god. Though I may be "seperate" from the experiment by distance, this seperation is illusionary. Cause and Effect. Dependent Origin.

Taoism talks about the "Ten Thousand Things Under the Heavens" and the Tao an indescriptable enigma. The rocks, the stars, the plants, animals and humans are the "Ten Thousand Things Under the Heavens" the heavens are not the sky or space or stars but that which everything exist in.

So I suppose I might be technically an Atheist if the definition of divinity is supernatural at it's root definition, and beyond that which exists. However there would be a paradox implied for something that exists but does not exist. Wikipedia had this to say about it:

Theism is the belief in the existence of one or more gods or deities.

There is also a narrower sense in which theism refers to the belief that God/god(s) is immanent in the world, yet transcends it.

What is spirituality?

What constitutes a belief system?

Very pertinent questions, especially so, in the light of pgrmdave's comments in the post#34.

This is also an introspective poll, which, as far as I understand, should not require a very logical, detailed exploration of past religions, practices, and spirituality.

One needs to introspect before participating in a poll honestly. In fact it is only while one votes that people should think (at least!)

For the moment I voted atheist. I'm agnostic though. Then again my beliefs change once every few months because of this site so... :eek2: who knows...

IMAMONKEY!

PS: Ich bin ein Affe. :hyper: (Not sure if thats correct because I couldn't remember the definite article)

PPS: I like this thread.. many interesting insights in this one. It's a definite favorite right now.

• 3 months later...

I am Agnostic with a healthy dose of Athiest skepticism. I don't think it's possible to KNOW one way or the other about the existance of a supreme being. I reserve judgement.

BELIEF one way or the other is obviously up to the individual, and probably based on what they have been exposed to throughout the course of their life. Some people just don't know any different than what they have been taught. For others, the choice is about what feels better or what they would rather the answer be.

Ultimately, we're all in the same boat on this one. :)

I agree that Agnostic should be included as a selection to achieve a more definitive survey.

Am I the only mod that has dedicated religious beliefs??

Absolutely not Merce-ben, I have a personal faith which is very dear to me. I really don't like the word religious however and prefer to only describe my belief system as a private experience. And don't ask me to preach because preaching is only effective when you have a willing listener, force feeding any opinion is destined to failure..................Infy

Absolutely not Merce-ben, I have a personal faith which is very dear to me. I really don't like the word religious however and prefer to only describe my belief system as a private experience. And don't ask me to preach because preaching is only effective when you have a willing listener, force feeding any opinion is destined to failure..................Infy

I'm always happy to listen to people's beliefs, but I agree with you: force feeding any opinion IS definitely destined to failure.

I consider myslef religious as well, although I do try to keep it private. Faith is internal, and cannot be forced upon somebody. I also tend to feel that since faith depends on untestable ideas, it doesn't lend itself terribly well to a scientific discussion.

A while ago, before I came to consider myself christian, I strongly felt that everything would turn out right somehow in our lives if we didn't struggle against them. It was pointed out to me by a friend wiser than I that this is a sort of faith. While it is not a belief in a diety, it is a faith, a trust if you will, that things will be good if we let them.