Science Forums

2pi

Moonchild

OK...steradian and radian are variants of each other. Electricity and magnetism are variants of each other. Energy and matter are variants of each other.

That's only slightly related to this string. The questjion:

How does 2pi play in? What does it mean? When it's plugged into an equation, what does it do to that equation?

The short answer is that when calculating radians, 2pi is the same as 2piX withouth the X, which means you take out the dimension. So 2pi gives you a dimensionless value which is useful in all kinds of applications.

And this I am quite sure is overly simplistic and needs some elaboration by our skilled members...

hmm essential is that 2pi is the circumference of the unit circle. and that some wiseguys decided that it then is convenient to define an anglemeasurement, for which a complete circle is 2pi radians

the fact that this is equal to 360 degrees is completely trivial; it is just 2 quantities that are defined in the same way:

2pi radians=360 degrees = 904.2 Ftwogl, where 1 Ftwogl is defined to be 1/(904.2) of the angular measurement.

Bo

Originally posted by: Tormod

The short answer is that when calculating radians, 2pi is the same as 2piX withouth the X, which means you take out the dimension. So 2pi gives you a dimensionless value which is useful in all kinds of applications.

Tormod, what do you mean by the dimensions?

And then there is just pi itself, a highly controversial subject in my quarters.

I'm just a farmboy with no formal education, but it will take some doing to convince me that the area to any closed continuum can be defined by a ratio of line to arc that does not give either a whole figure or ending decimal.

"All things number and harmony." - Pythagoras