Science Forums

Creationist survey

Tormod

What? Maybe you should read my post again.

Ok- I did. Sure sounds to me like you are saying environmentalists are a religous group that are following a false God.

I exhibited no "pridefulism," but that is an interesting word.

Thanks. It's was perhaps a little over-the-top sarcasm to show that I, like many, don't like being told what my beliefs are.

What prejudice do you claim in me? I made no generalization about Christians either, or if you perceived it that way I apologize.

You implied a generalization- that Christians cannot be environmentalists, or belief in global warming implies non-Christianity. If that is not what you meant, I apologize as well for misinterpriting you. However, I don't see anyway around that from your post. And- that's the problem with message boards- it's easy to be misinterprited :) don't worry about it.

"I am the LORD your God, you shall have no other gods before me." Agreed, that is very important, THAT is why it was first.

Ah, but that's not the first commandment- it's the first in the 10 commandments. The first instruction from God is to be good stewards of the world, naming and working with it. This shows we not only DO have the power to change the environment, we should use that power to be good stewards. Mass extinctions are not part of good stewardship.

My post was dealing with the fact that way too many have fallen for lie and have strayed away from The Truth which is found in a biblical world view.

True. And my prideful point was on your (seeming) assumption that you know exactly what the entirity of that Truth is. Personally, I don't think we can know the entirity of God. It was just a call to humility, one that I need to follow as well many times. CS Lewis said the greatest sin was pride (the sin of Lucifer), and the most seductive. I think he's right.

...Ah, but that's not the first commandment- it's the first in the 10 commandments. The first instruction from God is to be good stewards of the world, naming and working with it....
Well, it was the one that Jesus said was most important. I think it is probably reasonable to call it "first" in terms of priority.

Well, it was the one that Jesus said was most important. I think it is probably reasonable to call it "first" in terms of priority.

Touchè, altough the command to love God is slightly different then to have no other gods. But point taken :) My point was to show people are given power over the earth and told to take care of it from the get go.

...My point was to show people are given power over the earth and told to take care of it from the get go.
True. But I am always surprised by the way that we Christians weight different verses so differently. Evangelicals tend not to weigh the "help the poor" verses near as heavily as the versus in support of the Great Commission (for example).

I have always been personally attached to James 4:9- "Be miserable, mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to sorrow and your joy to gloom."

The is the verse that Eeyore likes best.

It certainly shows our personal biases, that's for sure! All in all, though, I think it's harmless, if not a good thing. IMO, it reflects the various ways we should think about the world. With each of us having our own personal emphasis, the community as a whole should have a more complete picture of God's view of humanity and the world.

True. But I am always surprised by the way that we Christians weight different verses so differently. Evangelicals tend not to weigh the "help the poor" verses near as heavily as the versus in support of the Great Commission (for example).

I have always been personally attached to James 4:9- "Be miserable, mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to sorrow and your joy to gloom."

The is the verse that Eeyore like best.

Yes. And to that verse I add a couple, since it is the bible that sheds light on itself. =P

"I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
— Luke 18:14 nkjv

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."
— Philipians 2:5-11 nkjv

• 2 weeks later...

Um, Beg Pardon everyone, if I can just throw my experience into this shmozzle:

For the first 50 years of my life I really tried to do the God-thing. I really did. But the more I looked around, the more questions and doubts appeared.

One day, I tried an experiment. I decided I would pretend to be an Atheist for three months. Just to see what would happen. I would think as an atheist, read all material from the atheistic point-of-view, I would look on the world around me from the atheist stand-point.

Never looked back from there. It's as if a load was taken off of my shoulders, everything I looked at started to make sense. My questions were being answered (from the atheist POV), and my life became so much simpler, clearer. It was a breath of fresh air, and continues to remain so.

It's a scary concept, and I really do envy the 'believers' because they cling on to something called 'Hope'. Truth is, there is no god/God/whatever. For those of you who have experienced my experience, you know what I mean.

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water, Thickset. I was raised a Roman Catholic and finally became an atheist. At first it felt great, but I kept looking for something, which a friend of mine finally told me was spirituality. It is possible, even desirable to be spiritual without any religious affiliation. Near-death experiences, people who have remembered past lives, and other weird 'stories' suggest an afterlife. We're on an endless path, a path which eventually will lead us to our higher destiny. 'death is a feather; duty is a mountain.'