Science Forums

DMT and Death?

Ganoderma

I have read that at death the body releases DMT. Has this been studied much? I am interested in studies comparing the release of DMT at death and the recreational use of the drug. Is it at all similar to that of smoked DMT? What about ingested DMT used in ayahuasca? Has this been documented in other animals such as rats/mice?

When people use the drug on its own it is extremely short lived without the addition of other chemicals. Is this the case with the stuff in our brains? Could its use be to relieve the person from reality as to not experience the actual death itself?

I would love to read it! My e-mail is [email protected]

I am not saying DMT is relieving. i have grown and experimented in the. what i am wondering if it is perhaps in our bodies to help "relieve", or perhaps more accurately worded "distracted" from death. After adrenaline shock and whatever else we have perhaps DMT is the last step to try and stop us from mentally dieing? Sometimes the reality of what happened, such as death, could throw a person into death as well where they may be the slightest of possibilities of survival. Just a thought. I am not in anyway saying that the drug used recreationally is recreational.

i am very curious when, how, and why it is released "naturally" in humans.

But if your mortum DMT experience is one of terror and panic, it may be significantly more unpleasant than unadulterated death. Evolutionarily this makes sense, an unpleasant death experience is more likely to cause people to fight for life and transmute the experience to near death.

So your saying perhaps its more to frighten people of death rather than to relax it? Interesting thought. I am wondering if the "high" from the body is similar from to the high you get from plants/animals.

Even if the same, could the delivery system make it have a different effect. When people use it recreationally it is far from being injected into the brain...it’s smoked or ingested with other chemicals. Most of it is also very far from pure. Do you think that this could change the effect (I do). One of the common additives is seeds (Peganum harmala) containing Harmaline, Harmalol, Harman, Harmine all of which have some interesting activities (can be searched at: http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/ ).

All the ingested types contain other plants that contain various chemicals in order for it to absorb. I have heard of people using these other plants alone for their effects. as far as I know the only way to get the effect people want without using other chemicals is by smoking it, and perhaps burning it would slightly change its chemical makeup, and effect?

Do you know of any studies done on other additives?

• 1 year later...

i've actually only just found out about DMT, the idea that the brain could release it at the point of death, and what the effects are... it's pretty fascinating, to say the least.

If sufficient time dilation occurs, as well as a true "conciousness meltdown", allowing the person to "visit" memories and fantasies at will or random-- wouldn't it seem as if the moment before death would last much longer than it actually does? It could be a biological answer to the afterlife, allowing conciousness to fade away instead of promptly shutting off, the mind being seemingly conscious forever (or at least a long time) within the person's mind (memories, dreams, fantasies-- the idea of a heaven or hell could simply represent the number of "good" as opposed to "bad" memories, and vice versa). so the church-going may be onto something-- live a happy, good life and you don't have as many terrible memories to experience at the moment of death (or "vanishing point", as i think is an appropriate term-- the point on the horizon that is there but cannot be seen as it is too small). i never thought science could reassure my fear of death, the end of consciousness, but i gotta say that the prospect of an "eternity" reliving the good parts sounds a lot better than a harp and some wings.

forgive me if i sound over-philosophizing : ) but i think it's an interesting idea!

DMT

Dr. Rick Strassman, while conducting DMT research in the 1990s at the University of New Mexico, advanced the theory that a massive release of DMT from the pineal gland prior to death or near death was the cause of the near death experience (NDE) phenomenon. Several of his test subjects reported NDE-like audio or visual hallucinations. His explanation for this was the possible lack of panic involved in the clinical setting and possible dosage differences between those administered and those encountered in actual NDE cases.

Several subjects also reported contact with 'other beings', alien like, insectoid or reptilian in nature, in highly advanced technological environments[6] where the subjects were 'carried', 'probed', 'tested', 'manipulated', 'dismembered', 'taught', 'loved' and even 'raped' by these 'beings'. Those could be the same beings, that some of the ancient cultures that consumed DMT rich beverages, like ayahuasca, considered their gods. Also, this leads to the idea that the alien abduction phenomenon could be produced by high levels of endogenous DMT in the human body, and that it might be a physiological condition that could pass genetically to the descendants of such people. (see Abduction phenomenon). Strassman noted though, that the experience might be highly influenced by the actual user's life, showing what the person needs, given their personal story of the moment, more than what is wanted, and also that the setting could play a partial role too (ex: in a waking dream state).

In the 1950s, the endogenous production of psychoactive agents was considered to be a potential explanation for the hallucinatory symptoms of some psychiatric diseases as the transmethylation hypothesis.[13] (see also adrenochrome). Unfortunately, this hypothesis does not account for the natural presence of endogenous DMT in otherwise normal humans, rats and other laboratory animals. The proposal by Dr. Callaway was, however, the first to suggest a useful function for the endogenous production of DMT: to facilitate the visual phenomenon of normal dreaming.

Ethical concerns do not allow for the testing of this hypothesis in humans, as the biological samples must come from the living human brain.

Dimethyltryptamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When a human being works with dimethyltryptamine

they'll find themselves soaring through a rapid information download at light speed.

you will meet entities that will guide you through these other dimensions.

I've seen structures grown from seeds, that just grow and evolve so rapidly.

the most complicated and intriquit yantras in the universe, sizzling before my eye with perfect crystalline precision.

The experience is more real than sitting here at this desk.

Only those that have traveled can truly understand.

If there's music, you will see it morphing perfectly.

Thus the shaman sings.

Everyone thinks that aliens are going to come down from the sky,

but they are so much more advanced than that.

Slipping through wormholes, in another dimension.

In my opinion, this endogenous neurotransmitter is by far one of the most fascinating things on this planet.

While people kill each other on a daily basis

over money, oil . .

Those people don't want us to know about this.

We are all in possession of a schedule 1 substance.

What a joke . .

When we die

our DNA will be uploaded into the server of man. You bet there's a cocktail of tryptamines waiting for you, to show the ones who never saw the light on Earth the truth.

We are not alone.

Every seer is a window,

there is no privacy here.

I've interviewed many people who've gone to peru for shamanic healing who have moved their consciousness involuntarily into the body of a bird.

They were able to see things that they later confirmed as true.

For instance,

being able to see the scales on fish in the river from high up,

or one man flew to his apartment in NYC, where his friends were house sitting for him. He noticed his furniture had been rearranged. Upon arrival back home, sure enough, it had been.

Another one of my friends went walking after an ayahuasca ceremony

and his consciousness randomly jumped into a birds

and he saw some people in a hammock a couple blocks away

who he then went and talked to . .

There truly is magic happening, here.

I wish the scientific community would embrace this phenomenon.

Thank god for the cottonwood research foundation, and all the curenderos.

• 1 month later...

I believe I have developed a diagram that begins to show how the beings might use the chemical structure of the compound interacting with our brain to transmit information to us through quark symmetries and reactions. Thus, the natural attitude is transcended through this structure of folding that I have discovered and copyrighted on flickr.... as soon as I get 10 posts, I'll post the link and the information. I belive the very chemical structure of the DMT allows the beings to unfold in dimensions and then collapse back into the dimension from which they came when we interact with the substance.

i have recently purchased a book about ayauscha (by Ralph Metzer and others) published 2005 i think.

there seems to be some good study going on now.

in that book they mention another book by a fellow discussing the relationship between DMT and DNA. strong visions and ancient art depicting a double helix, often serpentine, that resembles that of DNA....i have yet to get that book, but it sounds fascinating.

on DMT and death, i have yet to read anything that confirms it, so far.

but in the trip, and reading about ancient cultures talking about the beginning of man and the "gods" with visions that parallel that of science, is something that blows my mind.

i find, sometimes more than others, that no matter how far out something seems...this wacky stuff seems to puzzle itself together with the "normal" stuff, to give a small hint that there is a really big picture, that we do not comprehend, and the thought of any of it all being interconnected, makes my head blow a fuse.