Science Forums

Physics Textbook.

LJP07

I was thinking of doing a degree primarily based on Experimental Physics, however, I don't have any formal grounding in this area, but I have an interest in it. Is there any physics textbook that fulfils the following criteria:

1. Usable for beginners who have never studied physics before.

2. Broad enough to cover most topics in reasonable but understandable for the beginners detail.

3. I have never done maths involving physics before.

Also do you have to read the mathematical parts of the text, are they important. Is there any book that fulfils this criteria?

Search the forums. A couple of us have recommended the motion mountain free online physics textbook.

motionmountain.org

While I haven't looked it over completely yet, it seems to be pretty good for any and all levels of physics.

Otherwise the most commonly used on is written by Serway, Physics for Scientists and Engineers (not sure what version they are on now.)

Check out half.com for used ones.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Physics-for-Scientists-and-Engineers-With-Modern-Physics-With-Infotrac_W0QQprZ5917926QQtgZinfo

the best thing i ever did with an intrest in physics is get "a breif history of time" by stephen hawking. that book really got me started on the basic concepts. other than that, Brian Greene is a good author, too. by Greene i would suggest "the Eligant Universe" and "the Fabric of the Cosmos". have fun, Prolo, :cup:

I am partial to the demystified series! Their book Physics Demystified is a great book. It begins by going over math and that you need to be familiar with. Then it takes you step by step through physics.

Another great book is " Great Ideas in Physics" by Alan Lightman. It breaks down the law of conservation of energy, The second law of thermodynamics, the theory of relativity, and quantum mechanics.

Sometimes it's important to experience a bad idea so you can reinforce your own concept of a good idea.

Also, don't always take the word of a critic. I can think of scores of movies that were very poorly received by the critics, but which I enjoyed immensely. Same with books. Just keep an eye out for BS claims, and you'll be okay. :)

Oh, and don't worry too too much about the level of the book. The harder it is, the more you will learn. It's like practicing tennis. I'd rather play against Andre Agassi, getting my butt stomped, but get much better as a result of the incredible challange than to play against an uncordinated 2 year old who doesn't force me to try harder and improve. Sometimes an anchoring effect can be a good thing. :lol:

Cheers. :eek2: