Science Forums

Triumf

Aki

has anyone heard of the Triumf? It's a place where they do particle research down at the university of British Columbia. I have a chance to apply for a scholarship that they're offering, and if I get chosen, I get to spend the summer there. This is a wonderful opportunity for me to learn more about particles. But to apply, I need to write an essay about the nuclear physics. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to talk about in 500 words. So please give me some suggestions, thanks!

http://www.triumf.info/

Whatever your essay, here is a fine title,

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star,

P=I^2R [superscript the "squared"]

Everybody is so bloody serious in these things. It is like reading sandstone. Read the Triumf site. Be factual and erudite, but also sell the poor bastard stuck with reading the essays. Everybody will write about smashig nuclei and quarks and crap, testing the Standard Model especially against SuperSummetry, P and CP violation... So have a nice introductory paragraph. Then wonder why it is that nobody plays with the greatest toy in the world off-hours, making Lichtenberg figures.

Google

"Lichtenberg figures" 1030 hits.

Do Lichtenberg figures work with protons?

Write 1500-2000 words, then start cutting out the crap. The 500 that remain should be adequate. No weasel words, no qualifiers. Have something to say, say it, recoup. Last two sentences: "Big Physics is the greatest adventure in the world, albeit hidden between grant applications and progress reports. I want in."

Basic research requires competence and knowledge - and a deft hand with funding applications - but it is all about passion.

congratulations with your scholarship! these are great opportunities.

As for the essay: Try to show that you really understand something. Anyone can copy from articles what seems to be interesting, but it is hard to show that you really understand what it is about.

some topics in nuclear physics that coe to my mind:

- In a few years, CERN will start the LHC (?) experiments, to try to detect the higgs boson. you can give a qualitative description of the higgs mechanism.

- give a full description of nuclear beta decay; (there is of course much more to it than what you learn on high school)

- give an overview of flaws of the standard model of particles.

- this years noble prize was given to the guys who discovered 'infrared slavery'; describe that process qualitative

- discuss the ' Solar neutrino problem'

Bo

Originally posted by: Bo

- In a few years, CERN will start the LHC (?) experiments, to try to detect the higgs boson. you can give

Bo

I actually live in geneva (so I could go to 50 years celebration of the CERN ), so I should be sure about it, but I'm not 100 % sure. Anyway if I remember right the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is finished by now.I have got no idea of when the experiments will start.