Science Forums

Cannabis and psychosis

Is cannabis the cure for psychosis or its cure?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is cannabis the cure for psychosis or its cure?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (further research needed/information gained)

MJ is a right hemisphere drug. But we live in a left hemisphere culture. Too much time in the right hemisphere may atrophy one's ability in exist within the left hemisphere needs of culture. But on the other hand, too much time in the left hemisphere can limit one's ability to make use of the right hemisphere. If this becomes unconscious, the compulsions merely project elsewhere, often into religion, fads and irrational causes.

Back in the 60's-70's, MJ was part of the alternate reality associated with eastern mysticism. This amounts to right hemisphere thinking. The young people became increasingly rooted in the right hemisphere and the adults in the left hemisphere resulting in the generation gap. The slogan was don't trust anyone over 30. The barrier slowly dissolved until culture once again became predominantly left hemisphere with social taboos on right hemisphere inductions like MJ.

MJ is a right hemisphere drug. But we live in a left hemisphere culture. Too much time in the right hemisphere may atrophy one's ability in exist within the left hemisphere needs of culture. But on the other hand, too much time in the left hemisphere can limit one's ability to make use of the right hemisphere. If this becomes unconscious, the compulsions merely project elsewhere, often into religion, fads and irrational causes.

Back in the 60's-70's, MJ was part of the alternate reality associated with eastern mysticism. This amounts to right hemisphere thinking. The young people became increasingly rooted in the right hemisphere and the adults in the left hemisphere resulting in the generation gap. The slogan was don't trust anyone over 30. The barrier slowly dissolved until culture once again became predominantly left hemisphere with social taboos on right hemisphere inductions like MJ.

So that's why whenever people ingest cannabis they get the overwhelming desire to discuss things philosophical, beautiful, and unexplained . .:lol:

(not always, of course, but right off the bat when people start toking they start talking and talking about things they don't normally talk about)

MJ is a right hemisphere drug. But we live in a left hemisphere culture.

This is an interesting comment, but I would like to ask for support. All of my studies indicate that there is not total seperability of functions between the hemispheres. They are not 100% heterogenous and overlap in function. This is particularly noticable with patients who have experienced brain injury localized to one of their hemispheres... the other side will pick up some of the missing ability.

Again, sounds like a very interesting idea you presented, and I'd like to see some research confirming this so I can improve my own understanding.

Cheers. :lol:

If anyone ever smoked MJ, it sort of creates a play world. One is no longer exactly in touch with cause and affect. Stupid things become funny, etc. I agree that both hemispheres work together, but one hemisphere is typically more conscious and the other more unconscious. In the case of MJ, the roles sort of switch with the right hemisphere more connected to consciousness, i.e, feelings/ sensations, with the left hemisphere more unconscious. One may begin to imagine what it would be like if the moon really was made of cheese. Such play ideas go from right to left.

The love generation was in this state of mind when it was driven toward social change. Many of the problems of today resulted from the playworld being used to help define reality. If anyone ever listens to conservative AM radio, one will notice how conservative callers seem more rational (although biggoted) while the liberal callers appear more emotional and often irrational. The liberals are emotion leading reason or right leading left. The conservative are more left leading right. Both are valid with each having advantages and disadvantages.

Interesting.

Question though. Who ultimately creates the longest lasting change? Who ultimately has higher rates of psychosis?

I would point out, as I have in another thread, that Men, which as I understand it, make up the majority of the goverement, and men are right brain strong. This would seem to go back to one of your comments in another thread about the USA being feminist, and therefore left brain.

Incase anyone questions the validity of my assertion that Men are right brain and women are left. Here is support for my stance.

Source: Left Brain, Right Brain

If anyone ever smoked MJ, it sort of creates a play world. One is no longer exactly in touch with cause and affect. Stupid things become funny, etc. I agree that both hemispheres work together, but one hemisphere is typically more conscious and the other more unconscious. In the case of MJ, the roles sort of switch with the right hemisphere more connected to consciousness, i.e, feelings/ sensations, with the left hemisphere more unconscious. One may begin to imagine what it would be like if the moon really was made of cheese. Such play ideas go from right to left.

The love generation was in this state of mind when it was driven toward social change. Many of the problems of today resulted from the playworld being used to help define reality. If anyone ever listens to conservative AM radio, one will notice how conservative callers seem more rational (although biggoted) while the liberal callers appear more emotional and often irrational. The liberals are emotion leading reason or right leading left. The conservative are more left leading right. Both are valid with each having advantages and disadvantages.

With regards to your first point - letting go produces unconsciousness and makes the world seem like some kind of ghastly joke as we float away from it into what I call a dispersed mental state, where thought gives way to feelings. It is as I've described elsewhere, stepping back and observing the world rather than interacting with it. Reality is control and 'moving with' something to create that illusion of there being all that there is (right wing reality): Proximity and distance as opposing poles of existence.

I always thought that left brain was feminine and male, right side but I know it can get confusing because of the cross-over effect (right brain controlling left and vice-versa).

Only by understanding and integrating both halves of this puzzle can peace reign in the individual and within society. When this doesn't happen we have conflict and mental problems that spill out into the physical world, in the form of disintegration of the personality through what is termed insanity, crime and war (No longer working together for mutual benefit but fighting their way apart in denial of that relationship either within the body (mind) or outside it (society).

The truth is that life is like breathing though and we cannot always breathe in anymore than we can continually breathe out. Life and by analogy states of being alternate and have to, to create history (movement) or we stagnate in certainty/ dissolve in uncertainty: Male kingdoms mellow into female empires - Rome, China, South America etc - Star Trek and The Archons episode as revolution/evolution (Breaking free of limits/ identity and moving into uncertainty again: The right brain enslaves - the left brain frees, which is why women are more like children and men are always old in their thought patterns (towing the party line).

This is an interesting comment, but I would like to ask for support. All of my studies indicate that there is not total seperability of functions between the hemispheres. They are not 100% heterogenous and overlap in function. This is particularly noticable with patients who have experienced brain injury localized to one of their hemispheres... the other side will pick up some of the missing ability.

Again, sounds like a very interesting idea you presented, and I'd like to see some research confirming this so I can improve my own understanding.

Cheers. B)

The other thread where you asked me to clarify my point about sociability and shallowness ties in with this as it's about states of being and how they are achieved, plus how different functions may be allocated to a body part and in a society (jobs) but when an emergency arises, you don't say that is not my job but go back to general functioning to solve the crisis because it affects the survival of the whole organism or society of which you are a part. My other post before this may be helpful too (same thread). The point being that specific tasks have to be performed in a society or body but who does it can change to stop fatigue from over exposure (Sensory white-out where you become blind from concentrating on one task for too long) or wear and tear (retirement/illness). Study ants and termite societies for an understanding of this: 'The body of Landru' (Star Trek episode mentioned in other cannibis posting).

I still see only anecdote, not support. The request I have been making is simple. Support your claims or state they are opinion or retract them entirely. This is, after all, a science site.

Do I need to repeat my request, or can you simply pan up and notice that the previous one has not yet been addressed?

All of my studies indicate that there is not total seperability of functions between the hemispheres. They are not 100% heterogenous and overlap in function.

Well, for one I would think that this is taking what is said to the extreame in a very obvious mistaken way. that is You have implied here that it was said that the hemispheres of the brain have been implied to work 100% heterogenous. Which of course is absurd. However, what has been shown by studies is that the two regions have statistically significantly differing function in the norm, and that the brain utilizes a "use it or lose it" scheme. So if you excercise one part the other will not develop quite so well. It is best practice, from what I have read, to make sure to excercise both hemispheres as equally as possible, training both Emotional-Intuitive(right brain), and Logical-Mathematical(left brain).

Now it is true, and dually noted that no person, with exception of those who have had a hemisphere removed, that people use both halves. However research shows that people tend towards one halve or the other. Though this is ofcourse complicated by the various tendencies of ambi-brain thinking. In which one will either use both portions simultaniously (women are more prone to this), or whole switch (men are more prone to this). As well as a large number of exceptions which make the whole discussion of Right Brain, Left Brain, more dynamic and therefore more difficult.

Right Brain, Left Brain - Reality or Myth?

Features - Left Brain Right Brain

Cerebral lateralization of language in normal left-handed people studied by functional MRI

Cerebral Lateralization and the Theory of Mind(download, PDF, Source: Tufts University)

Clown,

You've stated that I'm wrong, but failed to point to an exact comment where this is so. I said "All of my studies indicate that there is not total seperability of functions between the hemispheres. They are not 100% heterogenous and overlap in function." This was addressed to HB, and his post which was presented with no support and clearly stated that the hemispheres operated in an isolated fashion.

What you say above only reinforces the point which I had directed to HydrogenBond. Perhaps you'd be willing to address your post in that direction. My statement is accurate regarding the none complete heterogeneity of the hemispheres in the brain.

Cheers. :doh:

You mistake. I did not say you were wrong, only that you implied something which was not implicit, and which I do not read when I read HB's post. When I read HB's post, I read I do so with it in mind that things do not tend to be in absolutes, so it may simply be my perception. However You take it to mean that it is 100% clear that the two are isolated. I do not see this directly or indirectly alluded to in HB's post.

my conclusion then must be that You have in your own perception taken what was said to the extreame, and therefore mutated the claim from his to yours.

At worse I would accuse HB of not being clear and of simplifying. The clarity part is important, the simplication part in a Cannabis and Psychosis thread is not, in my mind at least.

-Only by opening our perceptions do we see what is, with a closed mind comes no input and entropy of output

KAC

You mistake. I did not say you were wrong, only that you implied something which was not implicit, and which I do not read when I read HB's post. When I read HB's post, I read I do so with it in mind that things do not tend to be in absolutes, so it may simply be my perception. However You take it to mean that it is 100% clear that the two are isolated. I do not see this directly or indirectly alluded to in HB's post.

my conclusion then must be that You have in your own perception taken what was said to the extreame, and therefore mutated the claim from his to yours.

At worse I would accuse HB of not being clear and of simplifying. The clarity part is important, the simplication part in a Cannabis and Psychosis thread is not, in my mind at least.

-Only by opening our perceptions do we see what is, with a closed mind comes no input and entropy of output

KAC

You can PM me if you have a question about this. Regardless of what you think my motivations or perceptions were, my request was plain.

I ask that posters support their claims, and my request (in fact, it's probably more appropriate to designate it as a reminder of the site's rules) to HydrogenBond (and all posters) on this thread (and a few others) remains.

Please support your statements, qualify them as opinion, or retract them entirely.

Cheers. :cup:

I don't know... I was watching an episode of COPS once, and this guy was able to slap this girl and run off with her purse while the police were chasing him.

He was on pot.

He was probably smoking to calm his nerves because he's such a tweaker!

In that scenario, the man must have been on the influence of something a little bit more aggravating like methamphetamines or crack.

Those guys are sooo desperate for money,

so they can further erode their brain

and forget they ever did anything.