Science Forums

Banned from Hypography

TINNY

Y'know, vBulletin (the software for our upcoming forum upgrade) is cool. Someone wrote an articlebot for it. It will pretend to be a user and write "intelligent" replies to posts. It can even create new threads. It's billed as a nice way to keep your forums updated at regular intervals... and this is FOR REAL!!!

But wait...maybe the current forums come with a "atheistbot"? I never thought about that! But it is sort of obvious now, isn't it? :b

Tormod will have to make all kinds of bots for the new forum, just so every one will have one to battle, you see it can be like winning or loosing a game of chess against a computer... each bot will represent a different side; atheist, reilgios, windows lover, linux lover, one who believes in relativity, one who doesnt believe in relativity, evolution believer, and the "mad scientist" (<cough>Tormod</cough> ). All you'd have to make sure of is that they dont battle each other, or you could set 2 in the same topic and have them battle it out (and watch the servers CPU usage skyrocket and bandwidth go down to 0).

No, you're absolutely wrong. There will never be bots in this forums. And they do not argue. And they will be so clever that you cannot assume they are automatic. And the never ever make any errors. rors. rors. And they alllways have correkt spelling. No, no bots here, nope, never, nope, never, nope, never.

T-not-a-bot

• 3 months later...

Nice thread. Wonderful group of people.

I need help with something.

A thought, well actually, perhaps it's more of a puzzle, has been rattling around in my head for the past oh, decade or so: but before I get to that puzzle I need to make a few seemingly random observations. This is just my interpretation of what I'm seeing, nothing more than that.

One is that some of the threads I've seen are basically swordfights accomplishing nothing more than sparks and sore mental muscles. Perhaps it is because there really aren't a lot of outlets for frustrated geniuses. It goes without saying that these chat threads accomplish something, but what is it? This could be (and probably has been) a thread all by itself.

Another is that in a battle, one must know the objective and the prize. It would also help to know when it is won, if that is actually possible in this context. Another thing about an actual battle is that everyone must pull together to accomplish the goal of the battle. But again, what is the goal? Sore muscles are not an end in itself.

Maybe a better analog would be a group of people dependent on each other for survival. They must rely on the skills of each other in order to survive. The incredible thing about this context is that the color of one's skin, the length and smoothness of one's stride, and the beauty of one's face are meaningless here. Beauty is determined by something else, as is leadership.

The face and footprint of the hero has changed. All physical attributes are gone and only one's mental identity is left. In a very real sense, this is a new species.

So here's the nature of the rattling: Our reality, in this context, now consists of our model of the natural world. That's what we're dealing with here. We're dealing with the model. Our goal is to bring that model in line with the natural world. In my mind, 'truth' is inversely proportional to the distance between the natural world and our model of it. As the gap widens, the truth value of the model goes down. Perhaps the goal of the new species is to shorten the gap.

We've had this ability through publications in the past but the difference now is the speed with which the exchange of ideas take place, the speed at which the model changes and our ability to convey new truths quickly. That will have a huge effect on humanity and we need to understand the ramifications of that change.

I have the nasty habit of always trying to figure out what I can do with what I think I know.

So help me out here. I find myself in the middle of an uncharted forest. Does anyone see a path through the undergrowth? Like it or not, I don't think I'm alone. I don't even understand the nature of the puzzle. This pathetic attempt to identify it is as good as I can do.

A very thoughtful post, and a very interesting topic.

I have no answers for you except that I think al ot of us are aware of the issues you raise. The reason we ban some people is that they blatantly fail to appreciate the rules that have been set. Why are there rules in a "virtual community"? I think we have them so that we can choose what level of "sofistication" (for lack of a better term) we want the members of the community to have. So while it is open for everyone, no matter what their background is, we also need members to respect that basic tenement. So there needs to be some sort of "rules of conduct".

You have put some thoughts into my head and I thank you for that.