Science Forums

Junior Moderator

How does one go about becoming a junior moderator??

Through certified mail, send a cashier's check in an amount to be determined at a later time to:

InfiniteNow

69 Present Path

Austin, TX 78701

You will then be sent a packet within 1 month of receipt of your payment with paperwork requiring your signature, social security number, date of birth, mother's maiden name, eye color, favorite ice cream flavor, and how old you were when you lost your virginity...

The staff periodically extends invitations to members to become mods. Myself, Jay-Qu and CraigD becam JMods the first week of March. Pyrotex, Chacmool and InfiniteNow are the newest JMods. There is no schedule for when this happens.

Post well, stick around for a while, and it may happen for you one day too. :shrug:

Bill

Through certified mail, send a cashier's check in an amount to be determined at a later time to:

InfiniteNow

69 Present Path

Austin, TX 78701

You will then be sent a packet within 1 month of receipt of your payment with paperwork requiring your signature, social security number, date of birth, mother's maiden name, eye color, favorite ice cream flavor, and how old you were when you lost your virginity...

:shrug: That...

:hihi:

...was good.:hihi:

We recruit moderators as needed, usually when a moderator is promoted to "senior" moderator or administrator, or when a mod has to leave us for a while to do Real Life stuff. The mods and admins then make lists of candidates and discuss it before we vote and send invitations to join the team as Junior Moderators. The J-mod status is a "moderator in training" position and after a month or two they are promoted to full moderator status.

So, as has been mentioned already, simply be yourself, and be active in the particular sections of Hypography that you are interested in moderating, and you *will* be noticed.

By the way, believing that the moderators are some sort of elite team with extreme power is silly and misguided. They are an extremely helpful bunch who do everything from cleaning up the dirt after ugly fights, to starting new threads and keeping people in line. They welcome people, answer questions, discuss the forum structure, help out with practical tasks. Without them this site would not exist. They should not be seen as police, but as mentors and guides.

au·thor·i·ty Audio pronunciation of "Authority" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-thôr-t, -thr-, ô-thôr-, ô-thr-)

n. pl. au·thor·i·ties

1. The power to enforce laws, exact obedience, command, determine, or judge.

2. One that is invested with this power, especially a government or body of government officials: land titles issued by the civil authority.

2. Power assigned to another; authorization: Deputies were given authority to make arrests.

3. A public agency or corporation with administrative powers in a specified field: a city transit authority.

1. An accepted source of expert information or advice: a noted authority on birds; a reference book often cited as an authority.

2. A quotation or citation from such a source: biblical authorities for a moral argument.

5. Justification; grounds: On what authority do you make such a claim?

6. A conclusive statement or decision that may be taken as a guide or precedent.

7. Power to influence or persuade resulting from knowledge or experience: political observers who acquire authority with age.

8. Confidence derived from experience or practice; firm self-assurance: played the sonata with authority.

I thought I wanted Authority once upon a time, and then I realized it was an unhealthy want, that ultimately led to "rising" above others. In rising one sees fit to oppress. Elitism is one of the things I fight fiercely. It is my pet peeve. It is this fight that got me labelled in psych as a ODD or OPD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder).

Anyway. Good luck Mercedes! Your doing a good job so far.

I thought I wanted Authority once upon a time, and then I realized it was an unhealthy want, that ultimately led to "rising" above others.

Interesting how you use authority in a way that seems to attempt to show that you are better than others for *not* having it.

Why bother slandering our moderators with this useless dribble?

I must admit that the moderators and administrators can seem a bit intimidating at first. However, you soon realise that they're really only here to help and to make things flow smoothly. Now that I'm a junior mod, I see just how much work goes on behind the scenes! :hihi:

Rest assured the the mods and admins are all still bound by the normal rules of Hypography. Also, decisions are often discussed and debated at length before any action is taken. No admin or mod is allowed to act on a whim or simply out of spite. We only have the best interests of all our members at heart.

KickAssClown, I'm sorry that you feel so negative. I agree that authority needs to be challenged sometimes, but don't throw out the good with the bad. Mercedes Benzene, thanks for your interest - just keep up the good posting!