Science Forums

The Truth about Religion

Abstruce

What kind of a question is that?

Not sure where you are confused, but I will try to elaborate. It was mentioned that there was a path toward salvation. I was curious as to why I should explore that path, as I do not know from I what I need saving. Further, I find it presumptious and misguided to assume that saving is something I require.

Hence further clarity might be found if the poster would describe for me (and others), salvation from what?

Most people are products of their environment, and in most cases not much more.

To decipher reality from folklore and myth has always been a challenge for most people on this planet.

JQ

What's your point?

What you say about the significance of the Messiah was similar to several Pagan Gods, if you are referring to the Jesus Character. After all there were many Jews who claimed to be the messiah who are not mentioned in the bible.

How so? And name a few.

The whole problem with the Jesus story, it holds no historical verisimilitude therefore should not be considered a real event in history. As with the slaughter of the innocence out of exodus and other stories.

They are the greatest works of fiction ever written.

JQ

It holds much verisimilitude. The political scene was real, the Jewish schisms were real, the places were accurate. I think you mean to say the miracles and resurrection are unlikely.

And what part of Exodus are you referring to?

Not sure where you are confused, but I will try to elaborate. It was mentioned that there was a path toward salvation. I was curious as to why I should explore that path, as I do not know from I what I need saving. Further, I find it presumptious and misguided to assume that saving is something I require.

Hence further clarity might be found if the poster would describe for me (and others), salvation from what?

Aaaah gotta jump in here for fun.

The question of salvation is contingent upon the need for alleviation from suffering. If you need "salvation" you need to be liberated from some certain state of suffering.

I often wonder if my logical mind suffers from not fully understanding the universe I live in. I seem to be obsessed with liberating myself from ignorance of my environment. Is this not a form of salvation?

All a soteriological (salvation) doctrine is based on is a problem and liberation from that problems consequences.

So yes you both have points but it needs to be clarrified. What is that one needs to saved from? and how is that salvation acheived? Remember different religions address the need to be "saved" from something differently.