Science Forums

Measuring rate of photosynthesis

Get some sort of aquatic plant

Aquatic plants, now why didn't I think of that???? Genius.

Of course, you would have to make sure they could survive the acidic conditions of carbon dioxide water. Perhaps that indicator is a little unncecessary since you have a direct numerical rate of measurement by the amount of gas produced in the jar / measuring cylinder. Don't need to make the same measurement twice!!

I'd like to clarify that we cannot know if plants on other planets (come on, you know there are at least a few...) require CO2 for photosynthesis, nor if EVERY plant on Earth does.

Do you read what you write? What is the definition of photosynthesis? Do you have a way around terrestrial RuBisCO? Tell us.

Selaginella lepidophylla is astoundingly good at survival under adverse conditions, but its biology is otherwise unremarkable.

Green light is worst for photosynthesis. (the bonus point, please)

Now I am prepared to use a C4 plant, so there should be less CO2 lessness problem. Maybe I could have plenty of CO2 inside by burning something inside first...

I cannot do aquatic plants. They wont do.

Hmmmm... Oxygen absorbers... tell me what all you know...

Drat! can't go on google! Got 11 minutes before my coaching classes begin!

• 4 weeks later...

There is this weird method that actually does vaguely measure Oxygen content but it will pretty accurately rank up oxygen production.

Get a water plant (hydrilla?) then put it inside an inverted boiling tube with water to the brim. Then after sometime measure the amount of air bubbles around the plant. Tedious, but not impossible.