Science Forums

Lost Civilisations

Panjandrum

I wasnt aware that I was refering to a member of the forum at all
But it was interpretable in this way. Being polite includes having consideration and avoiding ambiguity. :confused:

Anyway, much of the response you received was crushingly against the point itself.

http://www.bosnia.org.uk/news/news_body.cfm?newsid=2207

Archaeologists astonished at state support for bizarre project

Author: Lucian Harris

Uploaded: Thursday, 06 July, 2006

Report from The Art Newspaper on pyramid mania at Visoko in central Bosnia

Following a report published in The Art Newspaper last month, more than 20 Bosnian archaeologists, museum directors and historians have issued a statement condemning an amateur archaeologist's search for a pyramid at Visoko Hill, near the remains of Bosnia's mediaeval royal capital. The statement, issued on 22 April, strongly criticised the controversial excavations being conducted by Texas-based entrepreneur Semir ‘Sam’ Osmanagic. He believes that there is a ‘valley of the kings’ of up to four pyramids in the archaeologically-rich area.

On 14 April, surrounded by journalists, Mr Osmanagic began digging. With no internationally accredited archaeologists present, the excavations were carried out by mine workers from nearby Kakanj. Stone slabs bearing inscriptions were soon discovered, and Mr Osmanagic declared the hill to be ‘the mother of all pyramids’. On 19 April, as enough evidence of genuine archaeological importance had emerged, the ministry of culture suspended Mr Osmanagic's permit until a commission of experts from the National Museum and the Commission to Protect National Monuments could inspect the area and report.

I would also note that while when I make even a single post that is, admittedly, slightly tangenital to the topic, my post is immediatly moved, and yet the same moderators have no problem with this thread going off-topic for two or more pages.

If you read the first post of "Asian Philosophy etc" Thread you will see it has been designed a little differently from most other threads.

I made the same mistake when I first posted on it but I was forgiven & I didn't post half the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich onto a"quiet & contemplative thread" as you did:)

Great update link Micha to the same pyramids I brought up in this thread in post #42.

A new lost civilization! :eek: Perhaps? :cup: With Pyramids bigger than any known in the world?:cup:

Here's just one link & I watched a BBC story that people are flocking to Bosnia-Herzegovina to help in the big digs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12402157/

Shall we send an Hypography contingent?:hihi:

Ready your passports ladies & germs; Hypography is off to Bosnia-Herzegovina! I will head the Khua kontingent.:hihi: This may actually be Atlantis, the penultimate lost civilization.:cup:

Any further discussion on that comment should be limited to PM. This thread has been off topic for far too long now. I am surprised that you have allowed this to occur, and have run with the tangent so much Pan, as you started the thread.

Lost civilizations. Please stay on target. :cup:

Cheers. :cup:

I am reminded of the lost civilization of "Ontopic". They were a people remembered for the shape of their island... Long and slightly curved. This shape of the island had great symbolic significance to the people who lived there. They fashioned many tools, toys and weapons in that shape in honor of the land that sustained them. Scholars have long since debated the language that was used to describe this long curved shape, and the significance that it held to the natives. They were most famous for their seamanship, and mastered the construction of long curved boats that were braged to always bring their sailors back to port. One day all of the islanders sailed away to sea in a fleet of their famous boats. Ironically none of the citizens of Ontopic ever returned.

Bill

The ancient Egyptians. Is there any greater lost civilisation? Archaeologists are slowly unravelling some of their mysteries, but I doubt whether we'll ever understand everything about this magnificent civilisation.
Actually, as I undrstood, the man that decrypted the Rosetta stone also figured that Coptic is essentially Egyptian, albeit written in an aphabet rather than in Heiroglyphs. The use of these had ceased when the ancient religion was replaced with Christianity, as it had remained a manner of writing for religious purposes once the semitic type of script had been adopted for more everyday purposes.

It was a fluke, the guy was so fascinated by Egyptians that he had learnt Coptic and it had even become the language he would use to jot down personal notes. The great familiarity with it was key in spotting clues and figuring out the Heiroglyphs.

A blog debeunking Bosnian Pyramids

http://archaeoastronomy.wordpress.com/2006/04/26/final-thoughts-on-bosnian-pyramid/

The women brewed the Beer!

Now That's POWER!

http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/archives/05-06/nov19.html

Women Brewmasters

Listen to or download the audio filemp3 or audio fileOgg files. external site - links will open in a new window (what's ogg?)

Wari shawl pin

Wari shawl pin found in ruins of brewery

According to new research, women of the ancient Peruvian Wari society had a more powerful role than we knew in the pre-Incan world, and it all comes down to beer. An archeological team, including anthropologist Dr. Susan deFrance of the University of Florida, has found shawl pins at the ruins of a large ancient brewery at Cerro Baul. The researchers suggest the artifacts are evidence that the elite women of that community were the ones making the chicha, or beer. The researchers conclude that if women were the brewmasters, then they had greater participation in important ceremonies of the Wari than previously thought. But it’s when the Wari abandoned their mountaintop home in about 1000 A.D. that the story gets more interesting. The researchers have uncovered evidence of broken pottery, smashed brewing vats and burned down buildings that leads them to believe that the Wari ritualistically torched their industrial brewpub and trashed their beer “mugs” before they left.

• 4 weeks later...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12402157/

Updated: 8:00 a.m. ET April 20, 2006

VISOKO, Bosnia-Herzegovina - Researchers in Bosnia on Wednesday unearthed the first solid evidence that an ancient pyramid lies hidden beneath a massive hill — a series of geometrically cut stone slabs that could form part of the structure's sloping surface.

Archaeologists and other experts began digging into the sides of the mysterious hill near the central Bosnian town of Visoko last week. On Wednesday, the digging revealed large stone blocks on one side that the leader of the team believes are the outer layer of the pyramid.

"These are the first uncovered walls of the pyramid," said Semir Osmanagic, a Bosnian archaeologist who studied the pyramids of Latin America for 15 years.

Story continues below ↓ advertisement

Osmanagic said Wednesday's discovery significantly bolsters his theory that the 2,120-foot hill rising above the small town of Visoko is actually a step pyramid — the first found in Europe.

"We can see the surface is perfectly flat. This is the crucial material proof that we are talking pyramids," he said.

Osmanagic believes the structure itself is a colossal 722 feet high, or a third taller than Egypt's Great Pyramid of Giza. The huge stone blocks discovered Wednesday appear to be cut in cubes and polished.

"It is so obvious that the top of the blocks, the surface is man made," Osmanagic said. He plans to continue the work throughout the summer, "after which the pyramid will be visible," he said.

Earlier research on the hill, known as Visocica, found that it has perfectly shaped, 45-degree slopes pointing toward the cardinal points, and a flat top. Under layers of dirt, workers discovered a paved entrance plateau, entrances to tunnels and large stone blocks.

Satellite photographs and thermal imaging revealed two other, smaller pyramid-shaped hills in the Visoko Valley.

Sweet Micha! It's back on! It's a pyramid, it's not a pyramid, they are pyramids! ;) This is developing into a very interesting lost civilisation.

As to the guy I listened & linked to who claims to have found Atlantis ( http://www.discoveryofatlantis.com/ ), he has if nothing else raised the money & equipment to carry out an unprecedented mapping of the Eastern Mediterranian sea floor. Beyond the Atlantis persuit, Robert Sarmast has also used his measurements & custom software to make 3-D maps of the Mediterranian that further elucidate the past history when the straights of Gilbraltar were closed & the Mediterranian was a deep valley dotted with lakes & marshes. More research to do on this. :camera: