Science Forums

Optical Illusions

This is not an optical illusion but an unconscious illusion affect. The basis for this affect is connected to laws of good and evil. When one learns such laws one needs to learn both side of the law. This helps divide behavior into two opposite distinctions. The dual data is not stored in just one location in the brain but is actually stored in two separate locations. The reason this is so is due to the differences in emotional valances associated with each side of the law. The behavior along the good side of the law may allow one to feel positive, peaceful, etc., while the opposite side of the law can make one feel fear, compulsive desire, guilt, etc.

Many religions equates the good side of laws of good and evil with God and the bad side with the Satan. If we look at this correlation in a symbolic way, it indicates that the two data organization of the brain, in which the two sides of law are stored, are spatial collections of all siimlar types of memory organization. The good is added to one organization and the bad is added to the other causing both to expand over time.

The affect of this dual storage can be seen throughout history and even today. Often a highly religious person will try hard to be only good. This will often requiring repressing the bad side. The bad side doesn't just go away because of repression, since it is animated everytime the good side is expressed due to the integrated nature of the two data organizations. If it is repressed it can still come to the surface, but in an unconscious way to produce compulsive behavior from the darkside. Even today, terrorists use unconscious compulsion associated with evil in an attempt to do what they see is a higher good. They appear unaware of the evil that they are expressing due to their repression of this dark side of their laws.

What would happen if one created a bad law but called it good? For example, in Nazi Germany is was good to hate certain groups. Does the good side of the bad law get stored in the evil memory organization and evil side in the good memory organization? The answer appears to be no. Just like in the first optical illusion with colors, it doesn't matter what one may call each color, the right side of the brain still recognizes the color for what it is. Relative to irrational or subjective law, the unconscious mind places that the two sides of the irrational law into the spatial data organization where it needs to go. The ego may see things as culture specifies, but their unconscious may see things the opposite.

A common example of this affect are victimless crimes. Without a victim there is no crime in any rational or absolute sense. There may be a crime in an irrational sense. Before behavior is labeled as coming under law of good and evil, it is not part of the dual storage yet, since it has not yet been socially polarized by law of good and evil. But once it comes under social law, there are now subjective criminals and victims. Culture will label them in a subjective way, while the dual data organizations will lablel them in a more spatial way that is consistent with the nature of the two spatial data organizations. These can be labelled opposite to culture.

The down side of this is that if one wishes to merge with the good side of law, i.e., best intensions, by focusing on the needs of the victimless crime law, one begins to animate the darkside data organization, where the persecuting enforcement side of the law is unconsciously attached. Those who become compelled by the prohibition are unconsciously trying to do good, where the violation side of the subjective law is unconsciously attached. In other words, when it comes to prohibitions the social "good" is allowed to victimize the new "so-called criminals", with prision. While the "criminals" may be not be doing any harm to anyone, which is a sign of "real" good social behavior. If there are subjectively told they are "bad" enough, they may accept that role for culture and may need to get twice as bad to help culture create the illusion that what it is doing is good. The lessor of two evils can create the subjective illusion of good.

The prohibitions create unconscious social affects both in the do gooders and the violators of the victimless law. These become the cause of secondary affects that are also subjective. To close the illusion, these secondary affects are used to help justify the prohibition, as though the prohibition came about as the solution instead of the cause.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

The prohibitions create unconscious social affects both in the do gooders and the violators of the victimless law. These become the cause of secondary affects that are also subjective. To close the illusion, these secondary affects are used to help justify the prohibition, as though the prohibition came about as the solution instead of the cause.

Wow... Social science, politics, religion, medicine... all tangentially related to a post on OPTICAL illusions... Interesting tangent, but please try to stay on topic. :eshout:

Cheers. :eek:

Optical illusions use the eyes. Many of these psychological illusions that I have tried to present can also use the eyes to fool people to perceieve what is not real. Politics is an example of a subjective interpretation of reality being supported with all types of one-side data and logic. People believe what they think they see, with two different people often seeing the same thing differently.

People believe what they think they see, with two different people often seeing the same thing differently.

Understood and agree completely. My interpretation of Racoon's intention for starting this thread and your interpretation of Racoon's intention for starting this thread, while both referencing the same exact thing, are likely both very different.

I would like to show an optical illusion with psychological implications. This painting was done by MC Escher in 1953. The title is Relativity.

Essentially what it shows are many reasonable references on the same plane which can not all exist together in reality. If one puts there hand over most of the drawing and looks at a piece of the pie it appears like a valid reference, but is not in the context of the bigger picture.

What this painting predicted was a cultural phenomena. Logic is based on cause and affect. In that respect it is 2-D with the x- axis cause and the y-axis affect. The painting shows that relative reference illusions can be create with logic. The easiest example to see is politics. If one is neutral or undecided, one may recognize that neither party is able to accommodate the whole ball of wax, or there would not be two parties. But if one is die-hard, with respect to one party or the other, their party logic and data appear like it is a logical way to progress culture. Each orientation is one of the logical references that looks valid in the context of its limited orientation, but in the context of the big picture it is a rational illusion being sold as a spatial integration.

I don't mean to pick on political parties. The same can be said about the upteen churches that have formed since 1953. Even science is not fully immune to this illusion affect. Relative behavior is a good example.

If you look carefully, the guy at the bottom has a spatial reference. This symbolizes common sense and wisdom which has been pushed down to the bottom to make more room for logic illusions at the top. But there is also someone at the top who also has the same valid reference. But there is no way way for the two to meet because of the illusions in the middle.

I will add another psychological/optical illusion.

This is also an aspect of rational illusions. Rational thinking is 2-D allowing one to draw pictures on a rational plane. Just like in art, it is possible to draw 3-D images on a 2-D plane. They may look 3-D to the eyes but if one touches the image (use common sense), one can usually see that it is actually an image of 3-D.

If anyone use PhotoShop, to make a 2-D object appear more 3-D, one uses shadowing and/or highlighting. What rational shadowing is, is the denial of truth in another's point of view. For example, if I was a member of a new church and I dump on one of the big churches as being evil, I am discounting any truth they may contain. This narrows the data grid, by putting some of the comptetive data in the dark, allowing my limited rational orientation and data to look more 3-D or spatial.

The highlighting uses light instead of darkness. This is actually a positive way to create 3-D images, with the highlighting providing data and examples of my point of view. But this is harder to do, since highlighting alone makes it difficult to get the full 3-D affect. Shadowing is easier and even makes the highlights stand out much better.

I call this 2-D image of 3-D a spatial image or 2.5-D thought. It is a hybrid of 2-D rational and 3-D spatial or a blend of both hemisphere working together. The shadow side of the personality, within the right hemisphere, connected to law of good and evil, helps with the shadowing, while the highlighting benefits by the light side of law. The shadow is more ego-self serving, while the light is more collective good.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

OMFG. That is flipping amazing! I never realized anything like that before... but I just read that at the exact same pace as I would normally have read any other passage.

Incredible. :shrug:

That's an interesting angle to look at it from. The eyes can be fooled into believing many things, I'm trying more and more not to trust them and challenge what I see in art.

For example, if I was a member of a new church and I dump on one of the big churches...

Dump on a church...:shrug:

OMFG. That is flipping amazing! I never realized anything like that before... but I just read that at the exact same pace as I would normally have read any other passage.

Incredible. :shrug:

That's an old one. The human brain is amazing...not to mention weird.

Is something like that proof of the existance of God? How could something so complex occur naturally?

Scientists will explain it all in a few years:eek_big:

Escher's art tells a lot about the collective illusions of culture. These illusions are assumed to be part of normal human psychology. It is a scary thought, that the replacement for religion either can't see these illusions and therefore also participates in them, or it just ignors the impact that this illusionary stuff has on culture.

The thing with illusions is that they use the imagination, where anything is possible, even relativity of behavior. In my imagination I can pull the head off a large dinosaur with my bare hands, drink a case of JD, or sleep with the top ten supermodels in one night. But in reality I can do none of these things. The first is fun and exciting and stimulates the imagination while reality is often boring by comparison. We live in an entertainment culture and love our illusions better than reality.

Those were really good. Imagine if you were on acid whilst viewing that site :shrug:

Anyway, I once read an article about using optical illusions to improve eyesight... Why do you guys think this may be?

Is it because you are subjecting your eyes to something that that don't usually see.

I would imagine that if anything, optical illusions would make your eyesight worse, because I know that after I look at some (especially the ones from the site that Lancaster mentioned), my eyes hurt, or I feel tired.

Any ideas?