Science Forums

Avatar Contest: Rules and information

Tormod

Hi folks -

Moonchild's request for more astronomy-related avatars made me look at the available avatars and they quite frankly suck. It is of course possible to make your own but why don't we have an avatar contest?

The theme should be "Science and Technology" (obviously) and we could have four categories, maybe "General", "Technical", "Personal", and "Abstract"

General: images, backgrounds etc which convey a more general feeling (like a starry sky or a partice collision map) - and also abstract image

Technical: pictures of equipment, telescopes, nanoprobes, spaceprobes?

Personal: Aliens, animals, smileys (anything which conveys a sense of a "person")

Abstract: Well - a more "free for all" category without the limits of the others.

Prize info

Thanks to IrishEyes, the winner in each category gets a Hypography coffee mug!

Rules

The contest is as follows: Until November 15 we will have a "Submissions" thread where everyone submits their avatar as an attachment to their post. Everyone is free to submit as many avatars as they like, but only one submission per post to keep it manageable.

In the "personal" category you are free to use your own face...but the general idea is to produce avatars which will then be available for use by everyone! So submitting an entry means you accept that it will be used by others at Hypography.

The avatar must be an original work, ie, don't copy avatars from other forums. But feel free to use non-copyrighted pictures and put your own "touch" to them.

Size: Up to 20kb (smaller filesize is recommended...), 80x80 pixels maximum, 72dpi. Jpg or Gif formats only.

Voting

After November 15 we have 1 week to vote for the best avatars in each category, which we do by listing the winner of each category in a post. The winner in each category gets a cool Hypography Coffee Mug! The participant who gets the most votes *overall* also gets a T-shirt.

You cannot vote for yourself!!!

The competition is now open for entries! Only registered forum members can participate.

Make the contest one month long, so start on 15 October.

This sounds great... can we use Freethinker's 'view from my handlebar' and my 'blooming idiot'? Also, my current avatar is personal, does it count?

As for prizes... hmmm. maybe we could give the winner a free t-shirt if they show up at the HC-E?? Oh yeah, we're already doing that, aren't we? Well, maybe the winners can get a free coffee mug? Tell ya what, T - I'll sponsor the prize for this one - the winner in each of the 4 categories will get a coffee mug, and the overall vote-getter also gets a t-shirt.

If that's ok with you, that is.