Science Forums

Relativity

Lightbender

Actually, there is some doubt as to whether the speed of gravity which was recently measured to be the same as the speed of light, is actually correct.

Berkeley Lab Physicist Challenges Speed of Gravity Claim

Quote:

"Albert Einstein may have been right that gravity travels at the same speed as light but, contrary to a claim made earlier this year, the theory has not yet been proven. A scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) says the announcement by two scientists, widely reported this past January, about the speed of gravity was wrong."

Tormod

The measurement of velocity depends upon your inertial frame. It is not possible to be motionless with respect to all inertial frames so the question is meaningless. It would be like trying to be motionless in a car with respect to all other cars on all the streets in your town; only even more impossible.

Some of the later posts seem to consider a lack of velocity with respect to the center of the universe, or something like that. Finding the center of the universe is similar to trying to find the center of an infinite saddle-shaped object, or of an infinite plane, or of the surface of a sphere; depending on what you think the shape of the universe is. (As determined by what the value of the cosmological constant ultimately turns out to be.) I use 2 dimentional objects in 3 dimentional space in the example above, becasue I my head hurts if I try to think of 3 dimentional objects in a 4 dimentional space. (Yes the SURFACE of a sphere is 2 dimentional, even though the sphere itself is 3 dimentional.)

I just got a really smart idea.... In order to slow time down, just be near an object exerting a high anti-gravitational pull (push?). This can be achieved by having a large amount of exotic matter (matter with negative mass) compressed really tight.... Of course, this is only possible in theory.