Science Forums

The 5th Dimension

As one can only travel in one direction at a time, why isn't space considered to be just one dimension? Alternatively, instead of dividing space with right angles, why not divide it with minutes of angles and get an abundance of dimensions?

Old post to reply to but what the hey..

If something is moving, turning it 90 degrees is the same (what the heck I can`t use quotes it goes all french on me (èÈ`Fs`d`s`sdèò) effort as stopping it.

Old post to reply to but what the hey..

If something is moving, turning it 90 degrees is the same (what the heck I can`t use quotes it goes all french on me (èÈ`Fs`d`s`sdèò) effort as stopping it.

Interesting. He is right, and mistaken, at the same time. He is right that movement is generally one directional. He is mistaken that we do not consider movement as one directional--vectors are one directional, r. But to referentially describe it, we use not only the scalar vector, and direction, but also angles.

Interesting. He is right, and mistaken, at the same time. He is right that movement is generally one directional. He is mistaken that we do not consider movement as one directional--vectors are one directional, r. But to referentially describe it, we use not only the scalar vector, and direction, but also angles.

True we use these things to develop a trigonometric understanding of direction relative to positions.

However, I think what the original topic was intended to describe was that mass is only capable to travel 1 dimension. The effect of mass, or Mass as an entity itself, is possibly considered 1 dimensional, and 1 directional.

As one can only travel in one direction at a time, why isn't space considered to be just one dimension? Alternatively, instead of dividing space with right angles, why not divide it with minutes of angles and get an abundance of dimensions?

If we Imagine space without human intuition, or at least as much of it as we can exlude, then we are left with 1 dimensional space relative to each individual body of mass, in the sense that, if a body has a kenetic energy value of X, (in non elastic interaction) it can only be stopped or turned without energy being added to the system under consideration, it can not be turned around so that it is moving in the opposite direction without another source of energy added.

He wonders, why do we consider that relative to space in a non-subjective/objective manner, that it has 3 dimensions... It only has 3 dimensions when we have a relative relationship put into comparison.. (two points in space, comprehended visually in ie, the mind)...and as mass is concerned there is only 1 path.. and it obeys that law.

• 9 years later...

This is one big doubt i have got from a long time.

The four dimensions i can see and visualize are

( x, y, z) and ofcourse time (t) forming the space-time

Is there a fifth dimension too?

If so, what is it?

Can we experience it in our day to day life?

basically it would be an extended dimension reserved for electromagnetic interactions.