Science Forums

Some minor changes

Tormod

We have made some minor changes to the user registration routines in the forum.

1. New members must post a thread in the Introductions forum before they can post elsewhere.

2. Users must have 10 posts before they can post a link or an image in your post (a message will be displayed explaining this if you try).

Hopefully this will help stop spammers, and also make those who register tell us who they are!

In addition, the user thread count is now displayed along with post count. We encourage members to start new threads, not only participate in old ones. :D

And features like "Member list" and "Log out" are now available in the Quick Links menu at the top navigation bar.

Whats with the PM folders???

suddenly my storage went from 300 to 20! :) :eek: :(

Ditto that.

AND all signatures are gone except for the mods/admins. Even the link to change signatures has disappeared from the control panel. :)

We have made some minor changes to the user registration routines in the forum.

1. New members must post a thread in the Introductions forum before they can post elsewhere.

We encourage members to start new threads, not only participate in old ones. :shade:

"1." might inhibit some people from joing up

How do you check that a thread you want to start has not been done before?

I haven't found the search engine very good.

Tar

"1." might inhibit some people from joing up

How do you check that a thread you want to start has not been done before?

I haven't found the search engine very good.

Tar

The aim of 1. is to stop spammers. So far it's working great. If people can't be bothered to post an introduction, we really don't need them hanging around. All it takes is to post a "hi!".

In fact, signups have not been reduced after we introduced this, but spamming has almost vanished.

If you can't find what you want to post about in the search forum (which is good but can be a bit overwhelming - try using the Advanced search option to narrow down using boolean searches), then simply start a new thread and a moderator will tell you if it's already been discussed to death.

The aim of 1. is to stop spammers. So far it's working great. If people can't be bothered to post an introduction, we really don't need them hanging around. All it takes is to post a "hi!".

In fact, signups have not been reduced after we introduced this, but spamming has almost vanished.

If you can't find what you want to post about in the search forum (which is good but can be a bit overwhelming - try using the Advanced search option to narrow down using boolean searches), then simply start a new thread and a moderator will tell you if it's already been discussed to death.

Thanks for the reply.

Good about "1" should I introduce myself or do people already know more than they want/need?

Can the search engine be jiggered so it can seach within a thread?

I often half remember a post and want to get back to it and have found that difficult.

Thankyou for the Science Forum; as you can see I am an enthuasiastic

'newbee'

It's an experiment. I believe the right column takes away the urge to check out what happens inside the different forums, and makes people just check the "Updated" column instead.

We needed space to promote the news and also the charity auction, and the right column was the only way.

This has the added benefit of making the forums load faster, too.

If you get confused, it's probably mostly because you're not used to it (we don't have it at PostMagnet).

I recommend using the New posts link in the menu bar! It gives you a much better picture of what's going on that the right column did.

Michaelangelica: I don't quite understand your question, the search engine does indeed search inside the threads. There is also the "Search this forum" and "Search this thread" options o top of each forum/thread. Maybe I misunderstood your question? :)