Science Forums

LaTeX Fomulas: Math v2.0

The easy way to learn latex is find a document written by someone and modify as you go, not too hard and veeery powerful! And you can learn while doing (once you have a tex-doc to modify).

If you are not on linux, it needs a bit more to install all the stuff, but there are PLENTY of walkthroughs on the net, just search "install Latex on [your OS]"

haha ,I loved your style :) :) (coloured word :) )

many thanks.

really I only have implied that I have a short time. my life conditions are not good. and these days I am writing a paper to a very popular journal group.

I am writing it with Libre office.

I hope it not to be problem.

Thanks for your cute reply.

Edited by inverse

What is the journal? The ones I published in (astrophysics journals) do prefer by a lot LaTex (as well as all the authors). You say you have little time, but you will gain now by switching now (not in some future paper). In addition, there is a huge community around LaTex, so if you get stuck anywhere you are NEVER the first one. As an example first hit of googling "starting latex" is:
https://www.latex-tutorial.com/tutorials/quick-start/

• 1 month later...

What is the journal? The ones I published in (astrophysics journals) do prefer by a lot LaTex (as well as all the authors). You say you have little time, but you will gain now by switching now (not in some future paper). In addition, there is a huge community around LaTex, so if you get stuck anywhere you are NEVER the first one. As an example first hit of googling "starting latex" is:

https://www.latex-tutorial.com/tutorials/quick-start/

heyy nice editor;

could you determine the answer please: I will revise my manuscript. it will contain strict formulas. and I do not want to spend much time with LaTeX. to learn. it seems boringer than rather than thinking the limit of time :).so I think to use "MS word" once again (revision). could you express your idea please,which of these would be better ,writing with word or LaTeX ? (Note: of course the time is always problem for me these days. because I need to earn money honestly. I don't expect anyone to support as economic (e.g:charit is meaningless I never took such supports by my wishing already ). anyway if you think that writing with LaTeX is better....

Thanks

Edited by inverse

I do not want to spend much time with LaTeX. to learn.

anyway if you think that writing with LaTeX is better....

I think most math-inclined people can learn LaTeX’s Math module quickly, and have fun doing it.

I think it’s better than, and easier to learn, than the math drawing featured built into programs like MS Word and LibreDoc. The main reason is that you can save your source text as plain text, and edit it in any text editor. In Word, you must click through complicated dropdown menus, and the resulting source text is stored as hidden, un-human-readable data in the .doc file

Another nice thing about LaTeX is that you can use it in your posts here at hypography, or any other similar forum, just by enclosing it in math tags.

My favorite LaTeX math references and tutorials are Wikimedia’s Help:Displaying a formula page and John Forkosh’s LaTeX tutorial.

I think most math-inclined people can learn LaTeX’s Math module quickly, and have fun doing it.

I think it’s better than, and easier to learn, than the math drawing featured built into programs like MS Word and LibreDoc. The main reason is that you can save your source text as plain text, and edit it in any text editor. In Word, you must click through complicated dropdown menus, and the resulting source text is stored as hidden, un-human-readable data in the .doc file

Another nice thing about LaTeX is that you can use it in your posts here at hypography, or any other similar forum, just by enclosing it in math tags.

My favorite LaTeX math references and tutorials are Wikimedia’s Help:Displaying a formula page and John Forkosh’s LaTeX tutorial.

Thanks very much.

Once you got the basics with links like CraigD's this becomes your bible (the not so short introduction to [math] \LaTex [/math]):
https://tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf

which they state can be read in 157 min ;-)

NB.: In the beginning it is chapter 2 and 3 which you need, while chapter 1 would only confuse you.

Another advantage of latex wrt Word-formulas is that it is intuitive, e.g. Sigma (the sum sign) is just \sum, etc. If you do not know something \+[your guess] tends to work, you can test yourself here (to see whether you derive the equation):

\lim_{n \to \infty}
\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k^2}
= \frac{\pi^2}{6}

• 3 years later...