Science Forums

Salt, NaCl, Sodium Chloride.

Michaelangelica

How do you break- chemically- salt into its's component parts sodium and chloride?

When that is done can sodium and chloride be changed or broken into anything else?

ie Can salt be neutralised, changed or otherwise 'got-rid-of?

Salt can be decomposed through the electrolysis whilst in molten form (which I would imagine would take a lot of heat). The sodium and chlorine will gather near their respective electrodes (based on charge). I would imagine that very specialized equipment would be needed however, since one would not want the elemental sodium and chlorine to react with one another. That would be very violent. :hihi:

Well I found a salt discussion group!:xx:

Apparently there are 183 other Nerds like me out there!

"Welcome to Yahoo! Groups! Thanks for your interest in the group commonsalt.

Learn about commonsalt (See the homepage for this group)

Members: 184

Date Founded: Nov 17, 2000

Mailing list type: Members Discussion

common-SALT"

Does anyone know if there are any bacteria that can break down salt?

Here are a few miscellaneous gems I found on the way:-

Due to the recent tsunami disaster, the croplands in the coastal areas of Sri Lanka

were inundated by seawater leading to development of salinity.

Another way to make the field productive again is to chemically change salt that is more harmful to plants to chemicals that plants can easily tolerate. ??

The invention of a mobile drinking water producer:-

http://www.webzine.bayer.com/research-innovations/the-watercone/mobile-drinking-water-producer/page2578.htm

The majority of our blue planet, about 70 percent, is covered with water, a fact that might lead you to believe we have access to an inexhaustible supply. However, 97.5 percent of the 1.4 billion cubic meters of water on Earth is made up of undrinkable saltwater from the oceans and other sources. In other words, potable water is alarmingly scarce. Although the remaining 2.5 percent is freshwater, most of it is found within frozen polar caps and glaciers. Consequently, less than one percent remains for consumption, and the majority of the world's population, particularly in developing countries, has little or no access to this small fraction.

Request to join commonsalt

Traditionally, the study of man has been based on the study of his tools and artifacts, ideas and religion. It has failed to take

into account items essential to man's survival. Such an item is Salt, neglected almost totally by both historians and archaeologists.

http://www.salt.org.il/main.htm

Such was the importance of salt that the words, 'war' and 'peace' originate from the word for salt & bread in Ancient Hebrew and Arabic - The first war that mankind initiated was most probably over 'salt' supplies.

Chinese sophisticated technology approx 300-400 AD -included drilling bamboo pipes to great depths to bring salt brines to the surface. Oil traces found in the same wells led to the same use of this technology in modern oil production, though the modern use of oil was only discovered much later, when it ushered in the period of Industrial Revolution

One camel train would normally consist of...a thousand animals, each carrying 150 kg of salt

The altar in the temple of Jerusalem WAS BUILT to handle hundreds of animal sacrifices a day, and included the salting and dehydrating process of the carcasses, producing "kosher' hygienic 'cleansed' meat to the inhabitants

The Roman 'limes' in Palestine during the

Salt was So important to the Romans, that the 'limes' in Palestine particularly during the period of Herod surrounded the Dead Sea, and was specifically to control the salt trade mainly from Mt. Sdom, salt mountain.

The word for 'salt' apparently originates from the name of the ancient town Es-Salt, once the capital of the east bank of the Jordan, and probably older than Jericho itself, close to one the worlds best known salt sources - the Dead Sea.

Masada , the Jewish fortess stronghold

Masada the Jewish fortress stronghold overlooking the Dead Sea which controlled the salt supply route from the salt mountain Mt Sodom [Jebel Usdom] to Jerusalem and the North , was critical to Roman strategy

The major use of salt is as a raw material for the production of chlorine , sodium metal, and sodium hydroxide ; it is also used in large amounts in the Solvay process for making sodium carbonate .

SOLVAY PROCESS [solvay process] [for Ernest Solvay ], commercial process for the manufacture of sodium carbonate (washing soda). Ammonia and carbon dioxide are passed into a saturated sodium chloride solution to form soluble ammonium hydrogen carbonate, which reacts with the sodium chloride to form soluble ammonium chloride and a precipitate of sodium hydrogen carbonate (sodium bicarbonate) if the temperature is maintained below 15°C. The sodium hydrogen carbonate is filtered off and heated to produce sodium carbonate.

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/plsept98.htm

Archaebacteria (ancient bacteria)

Anchaebacteria differ from true bacteria in that they...

* do not have murein in their cell wall.

* have differences in their rRNA base sequence.

* live in conditions similar to when earth was forming.

There are three groups of archaebacteria, all of which are chemotrophic.

Salinity is probably the toughest condition faced by salt marsh halophytes. The salty conditions actually mimic the desert condition of insufficient water supply. Consider osmosis. Since water generally moves toward a more concentrated solution, the water of plant cells tends to be drawn out into the salty substrate. Halophytes have mechanisms for reversing the osmotic effect. They concentrate salt ions in their roots, so that the salt concentration is greater there than in the surrounding soil, and water flows into the roots.

Halophytes also remove excess salt by various strategies. Cordgrass (Spartina) and saltgrass (Distichlis) both have glands through which salt is excreted. Films of salt crystals are visible on their stems and leaves. Pickleweed (Salicornia) rids itself of excess salt by means of joints which allow a part of the plants to be broken off. The plant sends salt to its tips and, in the fall, these compartments dry up and break off.

1. Methanogens - methane producing that live in bogs and swamps.

2. Thermoacidophites - heat and acid loving bacteria found near volcanoes on the ocean floor and in hot springs like those in Yellowstone National Park..

3. Halophiles - salt loving bacteria found in salt lakes and the Dead Sea

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.newstarget.com/019680.html

Quite simply, the issue is that not all sources of sodium and salt are the same.

As far as the body is concerned, there is no connection between the chemically-cleansed sodium chloride table salt you buy in the supermarket, which is added to virtually every processed food you buy, and the mineral rich organic sea salt available in health food stores.

One can kill you; the other heals you. In fact, it's essential for life.

Thanks for the reply, hallenrm! I actually have LOW blood pressure. I should have mentioned the specific medication I'm taking: it's for bipolar disorder. If I even skip one day, I just want to eat salt all the time. But no matter how much salt or salty foods I eat, it's never enough. Only taking the medication again makes the craving go away. I'm usually quite fond of salt, but these cravings are unbearable. I wonder if it has something to do with the calcium and magnesium levels in the brain? :shrug:

Hey Chacmool. Try real sea salt. That might actually be what you body is craving. White table salt is nothing but highly refined poison

Well considering that they're the same thing....

...albeit with slightly different background compositions...

...it's definitely not a poison.

Sodium Chloride is Sodium Chloride.

Honestly, white table salt bears very little resemblance to sea salt. For a start it is made usually from land salt deposits. There are over 1200 different binary compounds in sea water. Many of these (around 20%) do not exist in land based salt deposits.

Land based salt deposits are refined over and over again to remove what they consider impurities, ie all the trace elements, until they are left with almost pure NaCl.

Yes, Sodium Chloride is Sodium Chloride but there is a lot more to Sea Salts than Sodium Chloride.

There are over 1200 different binary compounds in sea water. Many of these (around 20%) do not exist in land based salt deposits.

That's true, but it's not to say that all of those are good for you.

Arsenides have been shown to be a big problem in sea salts...

...that's not exactly what I'd call "good", but :shrug:

Yesterday I bought some sea salt and some "Horizon" salt flakes from an Australian Artesian well source.

If this keeps going, I'll have to start believing in homeopathy!

These are the known arsenic compounds in Sea Water.

There are no arsenides as far as I know.

Is there actually such a thing as an Arsenide?

arsenic (III) bromide

arsenic (III) chloride

arsenic (V) chloride

arsenic (III) fluoride

arsenic (V) fluoride

arsenic (III) hydride

arsenic (II) hydride

arsenic (III) iodide

arsenic (II) iodide

arsenic (III) oxide

arsenic (V) oxide

arsenic (III) selenide

arsenic (III) sulphide

arsenic (V) sulphide

arsenic (II) sulphide

arsenic (III) telluride

I ask honestly and openly (I am not being a smart arse) are any of these poisonous? And if so, at what concentrations? I have PPMs available

Listen YYYY, I'm not trying to be argumentative.

I was simply saying that Sea Salt is filled with numerous compounds that are harmful to humans (despite the fact that they exist in small [possibly negligible] quantities).

>>> Most arsenic-containing compounds are extremely toxic, including the ones that you have just named.

>>> An "arsenide" is a compound that contains arsenic in its -3 oxidation state.

>>> Brush up on your chemistry before you decide to fight me. I'm a ***** sometimes, but I have to defend my "specialty". :hihi:

No hard feelings, but please, please do your research. :shrug:

Listen YYYY, I'm not trying to be argumentative.

>>> Brush up on your chemistry before you decide to fight me. I'm a ***** sometimes, but I have to defend my "specialty". :shrug:

Chill out. I am not trying to fight you. Like I said my question was stated openly and honestly. I am not looking for an arguement. Just information.

Thanks for what you have provided.

PS A bit of quick googling came up with

Many common arsenic compounds can dissolve in water. Most of the arsenic in water will ultimately end up in soil or sediment.

Fish and shellfish can accumulate arsenic; most of this arsenic is in an organic form called arsenobetaine that is much less harmful.

Arsenic in animals and plants combines with carbon and hydrogen to form organic arsenic compounds.

Organic arsenic compounds are less toxic than inorganic arsenic compounds. Exposure to high levels of some organic arsenic compounds may cause similar effects as inorganic arsenic.

These are the known arsenic compounds in Sea Water.

There are no arsenides as far as I know.

Is there actually such a thing as an Arsenide?

"poison" is a much maligned and mis-used word. (One of my pet bugs is when people talk about "poisonous plants" as if they are out there waiting to get you and strangle you)

Almost anything, in the right dose, can kill you.

In that sense, then, everything in your list is poisonous.

The body has developed lots of wondrous mechanisms designed to control most environmental toxins. Not least of which is the sloughing off of the intestine cell wall every few days.

Even unknown and "new" toxins (like DDT) are carted off by the body and 'safely' stored away, out of harm's way, in fat cells. Some say personal allergens are dealt with in the same way. (This is one reason why you fell so shitty when dieting).

Homeopathy is weird branch of herbal medicine which takes toxic substances and dilutes them so much you couldn't pick them up on a gas cromatograph.

The theory goes that if Arsenic makes you fall-down-and-froth-at-the-mouth;

then any disease that has symptoms of fall-down-and-froth-at-the-mouth can be cured by a homeopathic (read, 'infinitesimal tiny') tincture of the herb/compound that does the same thing in full dose form

The theory is "like cures like".

A fiend of mine swears by snake-venom homeopathic tincture for his Hay Fever

So if you believe in homeopathy you could say that poison makes you well:)

As we al know one sleeping pill (in the good old days when they had decent strength drugs) will put you to sleep; too many will kill you.

So the short answer to your question is:

Who knows? but probably no, they are not drop-down-dead poisonous in sea water or salt.

Hey Chacmool. Try real sea salt. That might actually be what you body is craving. White table salt is nothing but highly refined poison

Thanks for your advice! I just crave anything salty, no matter what the source is. But obviously I'm not giving my body what it really needs at the moment.

So the short answer to your question is:

Who knows? but probably no, they are not drop-down-dead poisonous in sea water or salt.

Uhm... so is it safe to try the sea-salt solution YYYY suggested? :) I think I should give it a bash.

Thanks for your advice! I just crave anything salty, no matter what the source is. But obviously I'm not giving my body what it really needs at the moment.

Uhm... so is it safe to try the sea-salt solution YYYY suggested? ;) I think I should give it a bash.

I think, given that we all came from the sea, there is a lot of merit in your proposal to drink diluted sea water.

There is so much we don't know about cells, at a Quantum level, that trace elements may be much moire important than we think

Twenty years ago Selenium was considered a poison; now many urologist see it helpful in prostrate cancer and assorted problems.

Science seems to be far in advance of public acceptance of an idea;-

sometimes disastrously so.

You wonder how long it would take humans to respond co-operatically to an extinction event

--

Michael

I think, given that we all came from the sea, there is a lot of merit in your proposal to drink diluted sea water.

There is so much we don't know about cells, at a Quantum level, that trace elements may be much moire important than we think

I just remembered that many indigenous people in South Africa regard seawater as medicine. My family and I have transported several litres of seawater back home after trips to the coast as gifts!