Science Forums

Salt, NaCl, Sodium Chloride.

Michaelangelica

Sounds good!

I love this deep stem planting thing. 20 seconds into the video i could see where it was going. Of course!!! :)

Did you see my recent comment about not being able to "teach an old plant new tricks?"

Well I think they found a way to do just that, eh???

This would be an opportunity for the new roots to establish a fungal connection with the native soil where the plant has newly found itself.

I have to say this seems unlikely, but it's worth checking for (and would be wonderful if true).

===

M, Thanks for that link site; it's a great site. I already watched the video on "microclimates."

p.s. ? "The reerve mentioned is 30m from me." :(

p.p.s. Oh, I get it! You live next to this reserve(?). [30 meters, not miles; right?]

Sorry for the typos. We often do distance by time here eg 2-4 days etc that was ment to be 30 minutes.

I used to live 10 minutes from it. (the reserve)

The idea goes aginst all horticultural practice I know, especially for eucalyptus, which generally, can't be propagated by cuttings.

ABC gardening occasionally has some excellent bits; so too "Landline"

• 2 months later...

Salt is an excellent herbicide! I've been battling relentlessly against weeds growing in our driveway, but even commercial herbicides didn't really work. So out of desperation I chucked some salt on the weeds, and they're all gone now! I'm especially pleased that this solution is not harmful to pets and bees.

Salt is an excellent herbicide! I've been battling relentlessly against weeds growing in our driveway, but even commercial herbicides didn't really work. So out of desperation I chucked some salt on the weeds, and they're all gone now! I'm especially pleased that this solution is not harmful to pets and bees.

I wonder if sea water might be better for your soil?

(Thousands (+?) of trace elements & salts)

I wonder how much salts soil can take?

Some recommend you douse your asparagus with salt to help them grow!

• 1 month later...
Could salt water fuel cars?

You may have heard about an invention created by a 63-year-old named John Kanzius that claims to create an alternative fuel out of salt water. Through sheer serendipity, Kanzius, a former broadcast engineer, found out something incredible -- under the right conditions, salt water can burn at high temperatures.

. . .

What he came up with is his radio frequency generator (RFG), a machine that generates radio waves and focuses them into a concentrated area.

. . .

News of the experiment was generally met with allegations of it being a hoax, but after Penn State University chemists got their hands on the RFG and tried their own experiments, they found it was indeed true. The RFG could ignite and burn salt water. The flame could reach temperatures as high as 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit and burn as long as the RFG was on and aimed at it.

But how could salt water possibly ignite? Why don't careless litterbugs who flick lit cigarette butts into the sea set the whole planet aflame? It all has to do with hydrogen. In its normal state, salt water has a stable composition of sodium chloride (the salt) and hydrogen and oxygen (the water). But the radio waves from Kanzius' RFG disrupt that stability, degrading the bonds that hold the chemicals in salt water together. This releases the volatile hydrogen molecules, and the heat output from the RFG ignites them and burns them indefinitely.

So will our cars soon run on salt water instead of gasoline? Read the next page for some of the hurdles that would have to be overcome for salt water to fuel cars.

HowStuffWorks "Could salt water fuel cars?"