Science Forums

Multiple Choice polls

InfiniteNow

Maybe when a poll allows multiple choices, you could remove the percentage calculator. It doesn't make too much sense the way it is now.

Even better would be to replace the percentages with a bar graph of each choice, normalized against the highest chosen number (i.e. the limit of the y-axis).

Just a thought.

Cheers. :confused:

I disagree - I think that it does make sense, it simply has to be viewed in terms of having multiple choices - just because two options each have 50% doesn't mean that 100% of the voters chose one of them.

I strangely find myself agreeing with pgrmdave...:)

No one category can exceed 100%

multiple choices obviously allows the percentages to be viewed differently, than if only 1 vote was allowed...

Example Poll:

Do you prefer Apples or Oranges?

Apples: 90%

Oranges: 90%

Wtf does that mean? It means 180% of voters made no difference in answering the question.

It means 9 out of 10 "like" apples

and 9 out of 10 "like" oranges...

That wouldn't be a multiple choice queston IN... What do you prefer??

1 vote.

I'm beginning to question your polling logic :cup:

:star:

Funny the passion I feel toward this. Never did I expect anyone to question the logic of my proposition.

When voting, a percentage is representative of the total number of voters being in the denominator. When one voter can make multiple selections, the pertage loses it's meaning because the calculation is no longer standardized. One voter might vote for one thing. However, if another voter chooses five, they are represented more and the percentage shown is skewed. This also allows the total to be greater than 100%, which is nonsensical.

The question that a poll's percentages are meant to answer is, "Out of those who voted, this percentage of voters chose this option over all others." When they have multiple choices, the percentages cease to mean anything.

Funny the passion I feel toward this. Never did I expect anyone to question the logic of my proposition.

When voting, a percentage is representative of the total number of voters being in the denominator. When one voter can make multiple selections, the pertage loses it's meaning because the calculation is no longer standardized. One voter might vote for one thing. However, if another voter chooses five, they are represented more and the percentage shown is skewed. This also allows the total to be greater than 100%, which is nonsensical.

The question that a poll's percentages are meant to answer is, "Out of those who voted, this percentage of voters chose this option over all others." When they have multiple choices, the percentages cease to mean anything.

Right IN, which is why no 1 category can exceed 100%!!

But with multiple choice you vote can vote more than 1 category!

like with the latest multi-vote poll...

50% have cats

50% have dogs.

But there are also other pets.

50% have cats, and out of those, some have another animal...say a Tarantula. (11%)? and/or a dog.

I don't know why this is difficult for you to understand...

:star:

I must be missing something.

If you were the only one voting on a multi-vote poll...example:

What fruit(s) do you "like"?

Apple

Orange

Banana

say you voted Apple and Banana:

it means 100% (you) of the voters(so far) like Apples and Bananas

Apple...100%

Orange...0%

Banana...100%

shaking my head...:cup:

shaking my head...:cup:

Hmmm... okay. I think I've got it now.

If the denominator of the percentage equation is based on the "Total number of votes cast," then there is no problem. However, if the denominator is based on "Total number of voters," then it is a problem.

I've been approaching this as if it's based on "Total number of voters," not "Total number of votes." Maybe one of the Admins can clear up how it works before we go any further with this.

Thanks for the push-back. Perhaps I was missing something. :star:

Hmmm... okay. I think I've got it now.

If the denominator of the percentage equation is based on the "Total number of votes cast," then there is no problem. However, if the denominator is based on "Total number of voters," then it is a problem.

I've been approaching this as if it's based on "Total number of voters," not "Total number of votes." Maybe one of the Admins can clear up how it works before we go any further with this.

Yes!

:hihi:

You are certainly bright enough to figure this/that out. :cup:

The problem becomes in Multi-vote polls when some people vote 5 different categories, while others may only vote 1 category.

The percentages can become disproportionate to the number of voters...

which was your initial suggestion. :star: :cry:

It is based on the number of voteRs. If you think about, it doesn't matter - since each person can only vote *once* per item, even in a multiple choice poll. So if half vote for A and C, and half for A and B, you'd get 100% for A, and 50% for each of B and C. The total would be 200%, which is an interesting figure - divided by 100 it gives you the average amount of options each voter chose.

Look at the current "do you have a pet" poll

http://hypography.com/forums/community-polls/6291-do-you-have-pet.html

Currently, "cats" have 9 votes means that 50% of the voteRs chose that option.

• 3 months later...