Science Forums

Abiogenesis anyone?

IrishEyes

Amino acids are easier to produce abiotically than is RNA, so maybe proteins were the first self-replicators. But proteins aren't synthesized the way nucleic acids are. In a nucleic acid (DNA or RNA), one strand serves as a template and, one at a time, the corresponding, complementary base binds on the growing strand. In protein synthesis, there is no template. mRNA holds the information for ordering the amino acids but getting the information out of the mRNA is a very complex task. So the process of protein replication is completely different and iunlike with RNA, nothing even close to protein replication viw amino acid polymerization has been found. The problem of genetic continuity arises - if the amino acids were joined without using templates, then each "generation" would be created anew, without reference to the previous "generation". Thus, there could be no evolution. Furthermore, it is actually RNA - not proteins - in the ribosomes that links the amino acids together during protein synthesis. Since proteins are much better catalysts than RNA, the most logical explanation is that RNA was the original linker of amino acids (if proteins were, then why would RNA have replaced them?). So this also suggests that RNA was there before proteins were.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another possibility is that metabolism arose before replication. However, no prebiotic experiment has yet to produce a closed metabolic cycle that could be the beginnings of life. And Leslie Orgel states that there is no little reason to believe that such a close metabolic cycle could form in the absence of genetically encoded catalysts. So that would put us back to looking at RNA or proteins first.

Originally posted by: TeleMad

Would it be possible for you to clearly and succinctly state your opinion of abiogenesis now?

How about, "I don't know"?

The rest really didn't matter. When somone is looking for reasons to reject any particular Scientific principle or theory, just not having an absolute answer is all they want to hear. Becuase THEY can give you an absolute answer to any question you would be honest enough to admit "We don't know". It's the same answer to every question regardless and fails to fit every time. But they are looking for reasons to "believe" it and "We don't know" is good enough for them

The rest is just gibbly gook to them.

Abiogenesis, RNA, selfreplicators, ... Too complicated. Forget that this knowledge is saving lives in ways never imagined.

Just saw a story about how a man that lost his jaw bone to cancer generated his own new replacement. They took a computer simulation of what the bone needed to be shaped like and made a basic structure out of titanium. inserted his own stem cells into the frame. Surgically inserted it under his shoulder bone. It grew there into the needed bone with local muscle atrtached. Then then removed it from the back and relaced the missing jaw bone with it.

But it never happened because the knowledge for this to work came out of our understanding of Evolution and we know that Evolution is not only WRONG but EVIL!

Irish,

Since you asked for my opinion on this I'll put in what little I have.

My definition of life; That which metabolizes and self-replicates/reproduces. The thing most creationists do is try to go from non-living directly to living, I think there were some steps leading from one to the other, what exactly these were I don't know. Biologists ague where to draw the line between living and non-living even with modern forms, ie; some consider viruses to be living,... some think otherwise.

Considering that evolution IS a very real occurrence, if we extrapolate in reverse we come to the first life, this is the only logical conclusion. Many theories are being investigated to learn more, but this is a daunting task and much has yet to be discovered. Starting with simple elements and naturally occurring compounds and an environment that we can only speculate on I think it is plausible for life to form, not instantly, but eventually. What evidence do I have to support this you ask? WE ARE HERE.

Of course we may be looking in the wrong place for the origin of life, as far as forming from chemistry. It may have arrived here as well formed bacteria on a comet, meteorite, or in a contaminated alien probe for all we know. 4 billion years from now intelligent Martians may be scratching their heads wondering how life formed in such an inhospitable environment, how could they know we sent Earth born bacteria there?

What it comes down to is; life exists. It apparently had to form somewhere, somehow. That which we do not know at present outweighs that which we do know, but we are advancing. To me it is much more reasonable to accept that some things remain unknown than to invent a completely implausible answer that only makes things more complicated than they need to be.

If the reason for this thread was to strengthen your stance on creation,... well done. You chose a good topic.

Unc and FreeT,

It really bothers me that you BOTH have insinuated ulterior motives for this topic. Besides being very interested in what you all have to say on this particular topic, and besides it being very interesting, I also started this topic as a spinoff from another topic. Remember the first post?

Ok, as this question is not getting answered in any other thread right now, and there are no other topics that cover this right now that I can find, I'd like to open up this can of worms in a brand new topic.

It wasn't as a way to laugh at 'unbelievers' and say, "Your 'I don't know' is pathetic". Nor was it a way for me to 'strengthen my belief', by asking a question that seems to have not been answered categorically by anyone. Frankly, I'm highly insulted by both of your attitudes. I don't think I was rude, insulting, or anything of the sort at any time in this thread. Nor did I try to make fun of ANYONE for their beliefs, regardless of whether ANYONE could support ANY of their beliefs with ANY type of facts/proof.

You guys need to chill out and try to understand that some of us just like to learn about other points of view, without any underlying motives, and WITHOUT the need to ridicule anyone for what they choose to believe or accept as truth.

Telemad and Gahd, thank you both VERY MUCH for supplying your views, and for all of the information that you feel best supports your views. While I don't understand everything that has been presented in full detail, it has been an incredibly educational experience, and I thank you for the time you put into your responses!

Tormod, what can I say? You're still my favorite fearless leader (even though you seem to hate it when I call you that!).

I meant nothing insulting,... please don't take it that way. It's just that we have come to know each other a bit and if the tables were turned.... well you get the idea. There is an amazing amount of creationist arguments that revolve around this topic,.... I really do think it would be good ammo for you. Not that you really need any more than the 30 megaton mouth you already posess.

Note: huge smile while posting the above remark. HUMOR! Just so there are no misunderstandings.

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

Unc and FreeT,

It really bothers me that you BOTH have insinuated ulterior motives for this topic. Besides being very interested in what you all have to say on this particular topic, and besides it being very interesting, I also started this topic as a spinoff from another topic. Remember the first post?

Irish. When I first read this post I was upset with my self. I would not have expected myself to have responded in the fashion that you suggest I did.

So I went back to your original post on this thread and my first reply.

Guess what I found?

My response was an attempt to respond the most accurately I could. I started it out by explaining WHY I could not answer the question as you had constructed it. It required too many assumptions and was too ambiguous.

Plus your own intitial post included a REQUIREMENT for

Originally posted by: IrishEyes(life: #4 The physical, mental, and spiritual experiences that constitute existence ;

a spiritual component in the discussion. So now you get upset if my response mentions god?

Maybe life has not even begun yet. We can not prove that we are other than deterministic agents.

Perhaps an extreme example, but a line has to be drawn someplace.

Dawkins speaks of the Selfish gene. That evolution is about nothing more than successful continuation of the selfreplicator. The greatest variety of possible mutations provides the greatest chance of at least one of them existing thru almost any environment.

We coud regress it even further. Continued existence of the particle?

We need to agree on where the line is or at least agree about what range of events we are dicsussing.

So that is what I posted.

I even ended with

Originally posted by: Freethinker

And for now that is my personal opinion.

Tormod even ditto'd my response.

But you did not answer my questions, did not provide more details as to where we could draw the line. Instead you seemed to nit pik specific parts of my reply. So I followed your lead.

You asked for our opinion. I gave it best I could and asked for your opinion for more details.

Care to share them?

8/29/2004 10:19 PM - Uncle Martin

I meant nothing insulting,... please don't take it that way. It's just that we have come to know each other a bit and if the tables were turned.... well you get the idea. There is an amazing amount of creationist arguments that revolve around this topic,.... I really do think it would be good ammo for you. Not that you really need any more than the 30 megaton mouth you already posess.

Note: huge smile while posting the above remark. HUMOR! Just so there are no misunderstandings.

Thanks, Unc, but again, you give me too much credit. I wasn't looking for ammo. This wasn't a fishing expedition. And I wasn't trying to make anyone look silly or foolish because they couldn't explain abiogenesis without leaving some questions un-answered. As you have indicated, there is much discussion about this topic. And yes, much of that discussion is from people that believe in creation, but that makes sense, doesn't it? I mean, *if* evolution explains the origin of MAN, then something has to explain the origin of LIFE, doesn't it? If it's ok to keep asking questions, then why is it a problem if one of those quesitons is "If life didn't come from a god, where did life come from?" It almost seems like we're back to that line in the sand, where it's ok to question things, up to a certain point, but not if it brings into question any scientific theories that aren't actually fully understood yet.

However, that wasn't what was intended for this topic. I was trying to get the question answered for wisdumn, as he was having no luck getting any answers in another thread. Plus, with so many different personalities in this forum, I thought it would be interesting to see how many different abiogenesis theories were represented.

And as for my 30 megaton mouth, hey - it was specially designed to go with my 40 megawatt smile - what can I say???!!??

Irish. When I first read this post I was upset with my self. I would not have expected myself to have responded in the fashion that you suggest I did.

So I went back to your original post on this thread and my first reply..........But you did not answer my questions, did not provide more details as to where we could draw the line. Instead you seemed to nit pik specific parts of my reply. So I followed your lead.

FreeT, I really wasn't trying to nitpick, at least not any more than you normally do

Seriously though, the questions that I asked, for clarification, were exactly that. You made an assumption that my questions were baited, or that I already knew answers and was asking you in order to prove some point. You were wrong. I was asking you to explain which experiments you were referring to, since you didn't mention them by name in your first post. The "WE" question was sort of a joke, but you did carry it to extremes in your follow-up to Tele's reply.

My objections to your tone are in reference to your post that begins "The rest really didn't matter. " and ends "Evolution is not only WRONG but EVIL! ", with a LOT of references to "them" and "they" (which I am assuming means the stupid creationists) thrown in for good measure. I don't feel I was arrogant, mean-spirited, or confrontational during this discussion. Even my first post to you was not rude, even though it might be seen as a tad cheeky. I wasn't trying to ignore your "What is life" question, but I didn't want this discussion to turn into a "life" debate, instead of a discussion on abiogenesis. Do you understand what I mean?

You guys obviously have no idea how in awe I truly am. And just when you get me to start 'thinking' more critically, you stomp me for asking the 'wrong' questions. Thanks, FreeT, this CTRL thing is REALLY great!

I mean, *if* evolution explains the origin of MAN, then something has to explain the origin of LIFE, doesn't it?

Yes, indeed. I think your intent here is very good, I do not question it at all. The only problem is that (and now we're back to square one, as FT pointed out) you put a limit on the definition of "life". If we can look away from that, then I think we can get somewhere. Most responses from others have been very good here so I haven't felt the need to participate since I've been busy doing very little for a few days...

If it's ok to keep asking questions, then why is it a problem if one of those quesitons is "If life didn't come from a god, where did life come from?"

It isn't, in my eyes. It is a question I often ask myself (okay, not the first part, but the second part). Life is a mystery. Every time I play with my 14 months old daughter (Emily) I just have to wonder what an incredible mystery the entire "life" thing is, that can produce something like my daughters.

Sorry for not having more to contribute right now.

Tormod, you have said much with few words. If that is what you consider 'not having more to contribute', then that's what you should strive to achieve daily!

I ask myself the same when I watch MY Emile.

I know we've had the "What is life" questions here before, but that wasn't what I wanted this thread to be. Sorry if putting a limit on that subject is seeming to hinder the abiogenesis discussion. I am open to suggestions on limiting or defining "LIFE" for the purpose of this topic, but only if we can agree that defining life will not overtake explaining abiogenesis. Maybe I'm looking for a broader explanation of abiogenesis, while the 'life' question is too specific??? I don't know! Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks to all of you for yout time, effort, and insights. I really appreciate it!

I am open to suggestions on limiting or defining "LIFE" for the purpose of this topic, but only if we can agree that defining life will not overtake explaining abiogenesis. Maybe I'm looking for a broader explanation of abiogenesis, while the 'life' question is too specific??? I don't know! Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Even from ME?

I can't find any way to discuss Abiogenesis without discussing what life is. Abiogenesis IS the discussion of LIFE, the point at which we draw the line between when life doesn't exist and then does. If that line was drawn at say Bacteria, then the discsussion becomes whether bacteria is the legitmate spot to draw the line. If not then where? (No I don't think Bacteria is the place to draw the line, just used as an example).

And on a molecular level, I don't see how life could be described. So a discussion of when or how the first molecule of life came into existence does not seem like a valid question.

Even from ME?

Actually, ESPECIALLY from you!

I see your point, about needing to 'define life' before you can explain abiogenesis. This really wasn't meant to be a trick topic, I promise. And I'm really not trying to hinder it by keeping it out of the "Define LIFE' arena. I just wanted to hear what you guys think about how it all started, I guess. I just remember reading so many discussions about what life is or isn't here, and I was trying to avoid that, as I've heard grumblings about 'same old discussions again and again' lately.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to start another "Define LIFE' topic, and then when we all agree when life starts, we can come back to this discussion. I think though, that trying to pick a point at which life starts will be more difficult than explaining abiogenesis.

I just have to wonder what an incredible mystery the entire "life" thing is, that can produce something like my daughters.

Oh yeah, and just so you know... "life" had nothing to do with your daughters. If you want to know the incredible mystery that produced Em and Jen, take a look at that fantastic woman you married, and remember that out of every other guy in Norway, and half the population of Virginia, she chose YOU. Now THAT, my friend, is a mystery worth pondering.

it's quite clear that abiogenesis is an important part of evolution, it's the foundation(unless you want to go back to the BB)

abiogenesis has been proven to be impossible by using odds: the simplest form of life should have at least 600 different protein molecules. the mathematical probability that * just one * molecule could form by chance arrangements of the correct sequence of amino acids is far less than 1 in 10^450 (the magnitude of the number 10^450 can be respected by realizing that the visible universe is about 10^28 inches diameter) mathematicians generally agree that, statistically any odds beyond 1 in 10^50 have a zero probability of ever happening(and that's giving the benefit of the doubt)

(some ref. from borel's law)

presently the theory of evolution is based on faith, a faith that someday, somewhere, somehow, some scientists will produce life from dead matter in a fashion that would mimic the supposed conditions in the dead puddle of goo.

>presently> the theory of evolution has no solid foundation. the stool has yet to be able to stand.maybe it will learn to stand on faith, and not >science<